• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours SUFC up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
The relevant bits for me:
-£2m was invested into the club a few weeks ago
- he would like this to be completed by July / August ahead of the new season
- by not buying season tickets we are affecting the cash flow of the club (we knew that would be coming!)
1. Which obviously was not enough to get back to sorting out all present payment problems to staff & otherwise?
2. If no potential buyer found by then, how is he going to finance next season & what effect will that have on the club's budget for new players, the ground & sorting out the pitch?.
3. Typical shifting the financial status of the club onto fans, when no one knows how the next 3 months will pan out?.
And no mentioning of this season's 'run in' & how we've still got a chance of play offs, if the embargo is lifted & we can get some fresh blood in ( although if it was, i doubt we'd be able to get the players in who'd make a significant difference over 12 games? ).

Thought I'd take some time to gather my thoughts on this but I'm struggling to do so!

Obviously, goes without saying, this is a HUGE step in the right direction and I'm feeling cautiously pleased. What he appears to be proposing - being open to the idea of selling the club separately from the stadium development for the time being with a future opportunity for the stadium to be bought too - is an exit route and is what I (and the supporters' groups) have been pushing for Christ knows how long now. Good to see it finally become a serious prospect. The involvement of such a reputable name in the sale exploration process shows that it's serious too.

A little harsh though I think to be jumping down the throat of anybody who isn't jumping for joy just yet. I think Southend fans could be forgiven for being suspicious. Ron Martin's conduct has caused that, so direct your incredulity there. Despite being cautiously pleased, I, like some, still have questions and observations.

• What does the Martin Dawn/SEL activity on Companies House this morning mean? Why wasn't this asked or mentioned?
  • It looked to me and plenty of others like something has already been done, hence possibly the slightly deflated feeling for some - hopes were high that something a little more immediate was afoot. The CH activity could still mean that something has already been done.
  • RM has been under pressure from all sides - Collymore, Tom L, FVW, Gary L…..even his wife - to sell or seek investment. Why suddenly now?
  • I watched the recording keenly. The body language, facial expressions, tone of voice, demeanour - all smacked of somebody who has almost had a gun held to his head. Especially when he was reading a statement which definitely wasn’t his, and didn’t sound like it had even been altered by him like the club website statements often are after Tom’s first draft. He was trembling, stumbling over words. Not his usual confident, almost arrogant self at all.
  • He seemed a bit more relaxed when he was answering questions in his own words but even then…..he was being very very careful about what he said.
  • What was the "it's been an interesting day" comment at the start about? That was interesting.
  • Without wanting to sound dramatic, has somebody stuck the knife in?
  • How does he plan to fund the club if a sale doesn't happen before the Working capital from the bridging loan runs out? Notice he said that the stadium build will start "later this year". No commitment to June, or even to Q1 or Q2. No sale + no release of funds from the Fossetts project in June could still = us being back in the same position again soon.

So yeah, hugely interesting and a HUUUUGE step in the right direction. I don't believe he's just saying things to quell the unrest and it seems to me like, thank God, this will happen. I'm just not having a party until things become a bit clearer, and there are still plenty of questions that need answering. Hence the supporters' groups will continue to push for a meeting next week.

This is fantastic news, finally there is hope for us fans that Southend will have brighter future. Watching Ron press he looks to me he's had enough of footballing world and is quite happy to let the club go. He still going to make load of money anyway through his property empire. This scenario is a win win for all of us. Let's hope whoever takes a punt on us can take us forward and back into the efl where we belong.

31 pages later. I was totally unaware of all this until 4pm today. Hadn't given it too much thought but having read stuff and also listened to his "presser" it really does sound like he is finally willing to let go of his "baby". I don't think the statement goes into much detail but RM is certainly open to ANY offer. It smacks a little bit of desperation and realises now is time to "cash in" and make some money whilst he has the time to enjoy it before its too late.

I was a little bit skeptical a few hours ago but as time has gone this evening, this does seem hugely positive. Cautiously optimistic.

He needs to agree to write off the debts the club has to his other companies and a nominal sale of the new stadium to the clubs new owner for £1 or $1 or whatever currency is used by the Middle Eastern country of a new owner 👍

Otherwise if he or son Jack want to retain ownership of the stadium then they should agree a sensibly fixed annual long term 99 yr lease for it. Subject to a review were we to make it to the Premier League naturally.

Thought I'd take some time to gather my thoughts on this but I'm struggling to do so!

Obviously, goes without saying, this is a HUGE step in the right direction and I'm feeling cautiously pleased. What he appears to be proposing - being open to the idea of selling the club separately from the stadium development for the time being with a future opportunity for the stadium to be bought too - is an exit route and is what I (and the supporters' groups) have been pushing for Christ knows how long now. Good to see it finally become a serious prospect. The involvement of such a reputable name in the sale exploration process shows that it's serious too.

A little harsh though I think to be jumping down the throat of anybody who isn't jumping for joy just yet. I think Southend fans could be forgiven for being suspicious. Ron Martin's conduct has caused that, so direct your incredulity there. Despite being cautiously pleased, I, like some, still have questions and observations.

• What does the Martin Dawn/SEL activity on Companies House this morning mean? Why wasn't this asked or mentioned?
  • It looked to me and plenty of others like something has already been done, hence possibly the slightly deflated feeling for some - hopes were high that something a little more immediate was afoot. The CH activity could still mean that something has already been done.
  • RM has been under pressure from all sides - Collymore, Tom L, FVW, Gary L…..even his wife - to sell or seek investment. Why suddenly now?
  • I watched the recording keenly. The body language, facial expressions, tone of voice, demeanour - all smacked of somebody who has almost had a gun held to his head. Especially when he was reading a statement which definitely wasn’t his, and didn’t sound like it had even been altered by him like the club website statements often are after Tom’s first draft. He was trembling, stumbling over words. Not his usual confident, almost arrogant self at all.
  • He seemed a bit more relaxed when he was answering questions in his own words but even then…..he was being very very careful about what he said.
  • What was the "it's been an interesting day" comment at the start about? That was interesting.
  • Without wanting to sound dramatic, has somebody stuck the knife in?
  • How does he plan to fund the club if a sale doesn't happen before the Working capital from the bridging loan runs out? Notice he said that the stadium build will start "later this year". No commitment to June, or even to Q1 or Q2. No sale + no release of funds from the Fossetts project in June could still = us being back in the same position again soon.

So yeah, hugely interesting and a HUUUUGE step in the right direction. I don't believe he's just saying things to quell the unrest and it seems to me like, thank God, this will happen. I'm just not having a party until things become a bit clearer, and there are still plenty of questions that need answering. Hence the supporters' groups will continue to push for a meeting next week.
You questions are very good ones. And he was sat there encouraging more questions..almost pleading for them. If only you had been in the room. But alas none of the questions were of interest to those there…not sure we can blame Ron (who is culpable for much) for not answering questions he inexplicably wasn’t asked..

Pay all staff, bills and suppliers monies owed to start with!
Well it was a shame the amassed press couldn’t even be bothered to ask about this. He was actively encouraging questions. And it’s gone quiet on here in the subject as well- none of the normal “staff still not paid” updates. Like you I remain interested to hear on this.

Last edited:
This is fantastic news, finally there is hope for us fans that Southend will have brighter future. Watching Ron press he looks to me he's had enough of footballing world and is quite happy to let the club go. He still going to make load of money anyway through his property empire. This scenario is a win win for all of us. Let's hope whoever takes a punt on us can take us forward and back into the efl where we belong.

Absolutely not. He doesn't want to be a landlord. Thinks the best solution is to sell club and stadium. And accepts the club and stadium sale would not see the recovery of the full "investment" in the stadium. just realistic. But I think there is a difference between the "investment made in the stadium" and what is is costing him.
Yeah but he is conveniently missing the point that building the stadium gave him the opportunity to build the flats which is where he will make his money. The fact he may “ loose” money selling the club and stadium is a red herring.

This is great news for our Club! American billionaires want a piece of English soccer right now and with our fan base,catchment area and potential on the pitch,I can see us being bigger then wrexham.But we must thank wrexham as the national league is more attractive to buyers right now then leagues 1 and 2.
Better sell it this season as next year no one will give 2 hoots about the conference… it will all be about league 2

Yeah but he is conveniently missing the point that building the stadium gave him the opportunity to build the flats which is where he will make his money. The fact he may “ loose” money selling the club and stadium is a red herring.
Exactly this. It’s collateral damage. That’s why I hope he doesn’t turn the screw on the sale price.

You’re asking these questions in hindsight. Not blindsided in a room with an proper politician style operator. No journalist cares as much as we do, or go into it as much as we do. Any Shrimpers Trust board member or SOS member would have tried to ask difficult questions but they weren’t allowed in the room.

Why I wonder?

You don’t invite someone like @TrueBlue into the room (sorry to use you as an example) as he’ll use language that will rile Ron as he did to get his infamous ‘because I love the club you idiot’ line.

An example: When asked have you had any offers, RM replied am I speaking to anyone at the moment? No.

That’s not the question he was asked by CP and you’ll see him smirk.

If you think this unrivalled bullsh****r was going to share a room with anyone that had the balls to push him and keep challenging you are so sorely mistaken.

Why’s he pulling the ST interview? Because that’s when hugely prepared people will sit around a table and don’t have anything to lose.

PR, it’s all PR and I’m afraid it’s always going to be that until he ****s off.
Absolutely nothing in hindsight at all…. All of these questions where there in full view before hand. What is there about staff not being paid that is hindsight? Or the fact that the clubs major PSC had ceased before not after the presser?

You don’t have to care to be a moderating effective journalist- and I suspect he was as surprised as anyone not to be asked many of the questions- what was it he said- surely you have more questions? FFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back