• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Dorking Wanderers 1-0 Southend United

One little positive, atleast we had points in the bag, imagine if we was near the bottom.
Unfortunately nothing will change until matters within the club settle down, think this season is a write off now, bloody shame as the players were heroes not so long ago.
I love Kev , absolute legend but know matter who you are you have to change it up if you continue losing, if we get to 10 games and we have lost them all then I'm sorry its time for a change, really hope he can turn it around.

Dreadful.

But I can't believe just how quickly the finger of blame has now turned squarely on the management team. you know, the people we were all applauding a month ago, the people we said we couldn't believe were still here... and now it's 100% their fault.

This is not a computer simulation, this is real life, can some people not see the effect that all the shenanigans has had on the players and the team?

We are where we are. In a season where, up until fairly recently the only glimmer of hope and joy we had was on the pitch, that has now evaporated and we are on the worst losing streak in the clubs history. Another new low.

If it was Ron's fault a month ago, three months ago, 6 months ago, a season ago, 2 seasons ago, 5 seasons ago, etc., it is still Ron's fault now.

Earlier this season we showed that we could easily live with the best in this league and were comfortably winning games. Now we look like we can't score in a brothel.

Good players don't become bad players overnight. Those who are saying "bin the squad" have obviously never played the game at any proper level. The lack of confidence is evident across the team.

We have a good enough nucleus. We need to ride this out and strengthen, not make wholesale changes to players and management. It's painful to watch and I can empathise with every single negative emotion spoken on here. It is dreadful, truly dreadful.

But I'm a supporter. I am not going to turn my back on the team. They are still my team.

We must stick with them and come back stronger next year.
Agree with all - except that 'nucleus'.
Have consistently said most were flattering to deceive.
Would keep Cardwell, Bridge, Miley, GSM and maybe Arnold as first-team or back-up - and even then would want to check his fitness.

Last edited:
Most of the players in the team tonight have previously put their bodies on the line for the cause week in week out. Tonight most of our players in the team just didn't seem interested. Why? I do not have a clue, but I do know that for the first time ever I walked away from a Southend performance before it finished.

That, Kev, Ruby, Benno and the entire team, was not what we have come to expect, where honesty and effort have always been previously available, but not so tonight.

Let's face it when Kev came into the club we were all but doomed to playing National League South this season. We managed to go on a run and stay up and then started this season well.

Maybe this squad was overachieving up until 7 games ago and this squad is only worthy of a mid table finish. Kev noted a three year process to get out of this division and even that has been hindered with 6 months of not being able to strengthen.

Do people really think the squad we have is good enough to get into the playoffs? Injury prone forwards, weak in the midfield and no creativity. However, if we can add to the core of this squad I do think we can go again next season... until Ron inevitably gets us embargo'd again.

Dreadful.

But I can't believe just how quickly the finger of blame has now turned squarely on the management team. you know, the people we were all applauding a month ago, the people we said we couldn't believe were still here... and now it's 100% their fault.

This is not a computer simulation, this is real life, can some people not see the effect that all the shenanigans has had on the players and the team?

We are where we are. In a season where, up until fairly recently the only glimmer of hope and joy we had was on the pitch, that has now evaporated and we are on the worst losing streak in the clubs history. Another new low.

If it was Ron's fault a month ago, three months ago, 6 months ago, a season ago, 2 seasons ago, 5 seasons ago, etc., it is still Ron's fault now.

Earlier this season we showed that we could easily live with the best in this league and were comfortably winning games. Now we look like we can't score in a brothel.

Good players don't become bad players overnight. Those who are saying "bin the squad" have obviously never played the game at any proper level. The lack of confidence is evident across the team.

We have a good enough nucleus. We need to ride this out and strengthen, not make wholesale changes to players and management. It's painful to watch and I can empathise with every single negative emotion spoken on here. It is dreadful, truly dreadful.

But I'm a supporter. I am not going to turn my back on the team. They are still my team.

Oh give it a rest. The 'voice of reason' shtick is getting on my tits. This is appalling and someone needs to be held to account.

They're making Sol Campbell look good!

That's harsh on Sol. He got no transfer window at all. Joined in October, embargoed in January, COVID finished the season off.

I would say, apart from the scandalous stuff he did behind the scenes (not learn player names... Supposedly hit on a striker's bird...), he did churn out some decent football and some decent draws with a poor squad.

I'm not sure if I can express my opinion as I am not a qualified coach....

But our qualified coaches have lead us to 7 losses in a row.

7 Losses in the Vanarama National League

You know, it used to be the Vauxhall Conference.

Tonight we lost our 7th game in a row against a team who play in a ****ing park.

7 in a row would have been totally understandable while they were not being paid.

Yeah Ron has lead us here. Totally agree.

He does not set the current set of players up for games.

He does not bring on the recognised striker on the bench with 6 minutes of normal time.

Oh it's a bummer Kacper ****ed off, but I don’t remember him scoring or creating.

I don't want Kev and Co to fail. But if his name wasn’t Maher, with all that goodwill in the bank, he'd be gone or going and the majority would be calling for it.

OK, what would you do differently, and with who?
How do you tell Mooney, for example, that he needs to kick the ball at goal rather than sideways as per this game and Wrexham?
How do you get Taylor and Kensdale to suddenly become world beaters?
How do you get the two crocks we call forwards to play on every kind of surface?
Remember, we've signed no-one in a gruelling season since September.

I’m not the one with all the coaching badges and gets paid (from time to time) to make those sort of decisions. Has Kev had both hands tied behind his back for the majority of the season? Of course he has and for that reason it would be wrong for anyone to be calling for his head (just yet) or laying all the blame on him for our troubles on the pitch.

However, this is his squad of players. The likes of Mooney, Kensdale, Taylor are his signings. If he and the other coaching staff aren’t good enough to be able to work with professional footballers on the training pitch to improve them then are they good enough to be in the job in the first place?

Kev, the staff and the players have credit in the bank, let’s get that right but that credit is going to quickly run out with performances like tonight and runs like the one we find ourselves on at the moment,

The effort and lack of chances created in the past few games just confirms what we probably all know …..a proportion of our players do not want to be here and as I’ve said before they were a collective whikst we had something to play for ( a place at Wembley ) that’s gone and so has the belief , pressing and busting a gut to get into the box to try and score goals .

I’d keep 3 players max out of that lot tonight

That's harsh on Sol. He got no transfer window at all. Joined in October, embargoed in January, COVID finished the season off.

I would say, apart from the scandalous stuff he did behind the scenes (not learn player names... Supposedly hit on a striker's bird...), he did churn out some decent football and some decent draws with a poor squad.
He did once call us 'Southampton'.
So, he didn't know who the players were and where he was. Probably, a more reckless appointment than Molesley or Bond.

Dreadful.

Spot on....excellent post

Nothing good have ever come out of being under transfer embargos, from Tilly to Brown to Molesley, the most amazing feat has come from Maher and his team to put us in playoff places and break that mould. We did the same last year as in we combusted at crucial moments in the season when an injection of new faces was obvious for all to see.
The fella that runs the club has decided not to invest in getting us out of that transfer embargo, that is 100% the problem in an ultra competitive league where playing through injuries just don't cut it.
BUT the boys need to show that quality, toughen up mentally and start taking chances to get goals and back to winning ways. I'm as miffed as anybody and do get a bit frustrated with Maher's tactics at times.
I would suggest we keep on supporting the players and management. If you want to vent your frustrations, you know the man to get in touch with.
How many seasons have we had transfer embargos now? How many divisions have we fallen? How the **** can any squad and managers fight this chairman, ffs i've been writing the same since Tilly threatened the playoffs and Ron pulled the rug under that squad and that was years ago.
Up the Blues x

Just another depressing watch.

Liven up a little in the second half but still did not really test the keeper.

Thought Colin did well on a few occasions so should start again on Saturday along with Benton who could even have won a penalty very late on,

Back