• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Chesterfield

To go a goal down felt like a dagger to the heart. Knowing we'd need to score not once but twice to get the 3 points, this looked a bridge too far aa the boys trudged back to the centre circle to kick off.
There was a pause, a silence when that ball rolled over the line, the whole ground became quiet and eerie for some seconds, i dont think Chesterfield fans could see either what had just happened.
Many many years at Roots Hall will tell you, in these situations, the place goes quiet at this point and god forbid the next Southend player to mis- control the ball or a pass after the kickoff, the groans always amplified.

Not yesterday... we had barely kicked off again and the hundreds in W and surrounding blocks are singing their praises in support, defiant of letting a goal in.
Thats how you support a team and each other, having played the game for 40yrs i can tell you just that old bloke who turns up with his dog on a Sunday morning has a galvanising effect with a couple of words of encouragement.

When your fans display utter support in times of upset, when they stay half hour after the game singing because Maher is near them interviewing with broadcasters and the drummer is banging furiously throughout the whole interview..

In my 50th year of following SUFC this could be the best.

I've re-watched the game this morning as my 1st half concentration was ruined by the most annoying thing I've ever seen in a football ground which is a high bar as the (long) list includes both Barry Harris & Gordon Connelly, I could go on........ I'm all for kids being the future of the club but FFS my cat pays more attention to me than that irritating little runt did to it's parents. Don't start me on it's father either who sat on his fat *rse munching his f'ing burger & chips through the Remembrance tribute. 😤😤 Anyway rant over, until I see them again.

My view of the performance hasn't changed much though as I thought we were a bit sloppy 1st half & bossed the 2nd half. Having seen it again I don't think we were at our best but probably played better than I thought 1st half but in the 2nd half not back in the game until the hour when we scored & then took defensive control which snuffed Chesterfield's threat almost totally.

We gave the ball away quite a lot in that 1st hour & just sometimes having done the hard bit failed with the really easy thing. I don't think our passing stats would be that good yesterday particularly with the 1/2 dozen crossfield attempts.

Having said that I think our defensive harrying & closing were different class given how many injury niggles these guys must be carrying & nobody ever, ever stops running. Taylor & Kendsale, apart from a horrible bit of ball watching for their goal, were immense at the back but for me MoM was Cards through sheer effort level but also winning way more than his quota in the air.

At the end of the day I think we wanted to win more than they did. Paul Cook is a real class act as he was very realistic after that they would have expected to push on after the 1st goal but didn't really do much then, created very little & we deserved what we got.
Bah Humbug.

Wes was ecellent for the whole 90 minutes
He was subbed towards the end!

Glad to see him get his plaudits. He gets through a hell of a lot of work - and it tends to be the unglamorous kind as it doesn’t result in a tackle but is integral to the way we press. I think because of his languid style people sometimes don’t notice the amount of ground he covers.

Oli Coker also was basically doing shuttle runs second half when Chesterfield tried to stretch us and then switch it.

Yes I know, in the 92nd minute so not really wrong but have edited my post for the pedantic. :Stunned: lol

It was my first ever visit and i must say....You have an amazing club!
I loved every inch of the old Roots Hall stadium. I enjoyed every minute of the match and i have spoken so many nice people.
Unfortunately i did't went for the Railway Tavern because i wasn't feeling that well all day. But it didn't stop me from having a great afternoon.
You have a new fan from the Netherlands.
I'll be back soon!

I loved every inch of the old Roots Hall stadium. I enjoyed every minute of the match and i have spoken so many nice people.
Unfortunately i did't went for the Railway Tavern because i wasn't feeling that well all day. But it didn't stop me from having a great afternoon.
I'll be back soon!
That's great to hear! So pleased you enjoyed your Roots Hall experience. I'd be interested to know what prompted you to come to the match in the first place?

I'll be back soon!
Question, did you feel ill after consuming a Roots Hall burger? It takes years to build up immunity to those. Seriously, glad you enjoyed your visit 👍

A reasonable amount of decent feedback from the majority on the Spirerite fans board. There will always be some that drink their bath water and spout bollocks, but thankfully they were few and challenged by the more sensible. One that took my eye was the bloke that said it reminded him of an FA Cup game when the other team (us) came from a lower league and raised their game. I must admit to having a little smirk at that one bearing in mind these invincibles had just been dicked by a fitter, better team, the final score doesn't lie, eh?
Yes, and along with the 'hard working but not much else' comments, a touch sour grapes there I think, though I good reply from a Shrimper that summed up the game a lot better than, on the whole, a minority of their boards members.

Yes, and along with the 'hard working but not much else' comments, a touch sour grapes there I think, though I good reply from a Shrimper that summed up the game a lot better than, on the whole, a minority of their boards members.
Yep, that was our very own @Spaceman Spiff, who was very polite, which is pretty surprising for our Spiffy. (only joking mate).

After watching the game live and then watching the TV recording you get a different perspective on our performance.Its probable when watching live you get caught up with the atmosphere so watching the second time around you appreciate certain aspects you missed in detail.Later stages of the game I thought we were superb in game management and control of the ball.

Anyway to view the full match again.

I'd love to watch it if anyone is able to post a link or upload.

Back