• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Chesterfield

It was my first ever visit and i must say....You have an amazing club!
I loved every inch of the old Roots Hall stadium. I enjoyed every minute of the match and i have spoken so many nice people.
Unfortunately i did't went for the Railway Tavern because i wasn't feeling that well all day. But it didn't stop me from having a great afternoon.
You have a new fan from the Netherlands.
I'll be back soon!
Safe journey Guus

How about this extract from their site:

Strolling was the wrong word I admit but let’s face it Southend are average but needed to win more than us and we lost despite our superiority on paper. Hopefully it will be put right on Tuesday and the start of another run

Well, we managed a 2-0 win at Woking so it will be interesting to see how their 'superior' team get on Tuesday night.

How about this extract from their site:

Strolling was the wrong word I admit but let’s face it Southend are average but needed to win more than us and we lost despite our superiority on paper. Hopefully it will be put right on Tuesday and the start of another run

Well, we managed a 2-0 win at Woking so it will be interesting to see how their 'superior' team get on Tuesday night.

To paraphrase Clough(?) - on paper they were the better team - unfortunately for them the game is played on grass

I think we will take a good number to Chesterfield for the return, as we will hopefully be out of the embargo, at full strength with options.

So decided to make a weekender for that trip.
Can recommend the CASA hotel just opposite the ground, solves all your parking issues and was really nice when we stayed. Team also stayed there the night before.

Can recommend the CASA hotel just opposite the ground, solves all your parking issues and was really nice when we stayed. Team also stayed there the night before.
We looked at the Casa for the away fixture in January, but we have found a fab deal on the Ibis in the town centre (3 nights for £145) that has parking available, as we will be taking the opportunity for a few days away - driving up on saturday morning and staying till tuesday.

Probably not my last comment on this amazing team, but the fitness levels of this squad are incredible, a lot of credit goes to the coach!
This is the biggest factor for our success. Barnet played very well against Chesterfield last week and more than held their own but fell away towards the end because of their fitness. Chesterfield players before the game and the commentary team during the game, all alluded to us perhaps tiring and Chesterfield taking advantage. Do that at your peril against us! If anything, we grew stronger.

It cannot be overlooked how amazing the job has been in getting this squad to those levels. I look at players like Wes who could barely last 60 minutes and he's now doing 90. Cardwell is the fittest he's been since signing. It's unreal given the circumstances and lack of facilities and substantial medical staff. It goes to show that instilling a mentality and belief goes a long way to helping players fitness and willingness to play.

This is the biggest factor for our success. Barnet played very well against Chesterfield last week and more than held their own but fell away towards the end because of their fitness. Chesterfield players before the game and the commentary team during the game, all alluded to us perhaps tiring and Chesterfield taking advantage. Do that at your peril against us! If anything, we grew stronger.
Yes - and lost count the number of times they mentioned how frequently chesterfield score late goals

Probably not my last comment on this amazing team, but the fitness levels of this squad are incredible, a lot of credit goes to the coach!
That was mentioned numerous times by the comms when i watched back. i note that quite a few of their fans also said theyve not see their team put under so much pressure on the ball. But agree our fitness levels are extraordinary at times

This is the second review I've read, where it mentions the second goal squirmed under the keepers body. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case, he just didn't get a strong enough hand to it
Agree, it definately squeezed past his out stretched hands rather than under- he just got caught out and didn't adjust quickly enough. He kind of just went down rather than across and was in the wrong position, not able to reach the ball. Bizarre though- bad error.

Cheers OBL, We have booked into the Peacock in Barlow, only 4 miles outside Chesterfield. Fantastic reviews and looks really good.

Staying at our daughters on the Friday night, which is an hour away. Looking forward to it already!!

A double over Chesterfield? Who would have thought that was a possibility at the start of this season!!

Back