• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Chesterfield

Far far too much drumming again today. The drum takes up too much of the soundscape and needs reeling in.
Our singing is a thing of exquisite beauty. The drumming a thing of over bearing vulgarity.
Let the singing alone be heard, with all its intonations and emotions, it’s pitches and rolls - something a thrashed out, soulless drum can never bring to the party.
So much great voice is lost, drowned out by an emotionless jungle beat, that in no way compliments the fine terrace chanting that draws down from the dna of the ancestors.
Have a word someone.

Far far too much drumming again today. The drum takes up too much of the soundscape and needs reeling in.
Our singing is a thing of exquisite beauty. The drumming a thing of over bearing vulgarity.
Let the singing alone be heard, with all its intonations and emotions, it’s pitches and rolls - something a thrashed out, soulless drum can never bring to the party.
So much great voice is lost, drowned out by an emotionless jungle beat, that in no way compliments the fine terrace chanting that draws down from the dna of the ancestors.
Have a word someone.
Bah Humbug.

Easily in my top 10 home games in 35 years of watching the blues.

Our pressing and energy forced them into 2 mistakes which ended up in 2 goals so for me we made our own luck so 10 out of 10 for all
of our players.

I thought Chesterfield and their fans turned up thinking they'd already won, but how that backfired for them with 8000 fans breathing down their neck alongside a top starting line up who didn't give them an inch.

This leagues just isn't as strong as last year and once were allowed to sign a few extra players then theres no reason why we can't get in the play offs this season.

Well well well that was worth the trip!!! Absolutely brilliant, from the perfectly silently observed minutes silence, right through to the boys and management team's walk of honour. Lovely to see old friends again too.

Only downside is that right now I'm at Stansted waiting for my flight back at silly o'clock as French air traffic control are on strike on Monday so my flight back is cancelled. I managed to rebook for this morning but it does mean no sleep tonight.

But boy what a fantastic afternoon!

Well done everyone.
Great to see you too Trevor and hopefully, fingers crossed 🤞 you and Steve will join us all again full time moving forward. Dan and Luke miss you the most, must be those chocolate biscuits although they deny it 🤔. Hope you are soon back home and look forward to catching up again sometime soon. Love and Hugs from the East Greens boys.

taking you back to an O level course (for those that are old enough)
GCSE time for those that aren't.

Phil Parkinson - Wrexham, Paul Cook Chesterfield,
Discuss and compare.

Can you imagine how much whining Parky would have done after today?

On the other hand -

Refreshing to see a losing manager to be so honest and cannot see how he won’t be the manager of this seasons champions

Only downside is that right now I'm at Stansted waiting for my flight back at silly o'clock as French air traffic control are on strike on Monday so my flight back is cancelled. I managed to rebook for this morning but it does mean no sleep tonight.
Is there ever a time they aren’t on strike?

This adventure under this management team has rekindled my love and passion for Southend United. I love the siege mentality and the bond between fans and team. Yesterday was almost like the good old days, big crowd, great atmosphere. Imagine what a title charge would be like.

After a few seasons of misery & depression with no player even having a song sung for them and some awful memories, I’m actually buzzing for games again.

Good shout, he literally threw himself to the ground and tried to shove the ball out of play
That Paul Cook interview should be compulsory viewing for the managers doing their badges. Magnanimous in defeat, honest about all that happened and genuinely seemed pleased for Kev, and indeed for our club in light of all we have been through. Good on yer, Paul.
While our players were walking around the pitch at the end of the game, Paul Cook was waiting in the tunnel and shook every players hand and said well played.....a real football man!👏👏

Yes, I think you're right. I'm skipping back through the replay and he did a lot of stuff that I wasn't noticing.
I really think that where you sit has a real impact on perception. I sit in West and having Bridgey in front of us first half would have been generous and rated a 5 whereas he had a much better second half but was on the opposite side of the pitch.

Anyway you got my vote in the Trust nominations😁

Have a word someone.
Certainly. We've just beaten the League leaders convincingly and you're banging on about the drum. Ear defenders for you I think, the drum is part of the West Stand furniture.

Up yours to those at the National League HQ! :Moon:

That was something very special. I think there are very few people who expected us to beat Chesterfield before the start of the match, and most would have been happy with a draw, but these players were having none of that.

We began with an exemplary tribute for Remembrance Day, impeccably observed by both sets of fans.

Superbly prepared by Kev, Benno and Darren, this remarkable group of players had a never say die attitude throughout. They were running through invisible brick walls and putting their bodies on the line over and over again. I don't know where they got the energy to keep going to the extent that they they did - it was an incredible display of fitness from a small group of players under ridiculous constraints.

First half was fairly even, I thought they edged it slightly. Felt that Coker and Wood - our two youngest players - looked a little nervous and lost possession a bit more than they would normally do. Pressure of the TV cameras possibly? Anyway, Coker, in particular, settled in and stepped up. Wood started the 2nd half brightly but it was no surprise to see him replaced by Mooney.

Defensively, I thought we were pretty solid though if you allow Will Grigg that kind of opportunity in front of goal, he's going to score it 9 times out of 10. 1-0 to Chesterfield. Apart from the close miss late on, that was pretty much all the attempts they had on goal because our boys were blocking, challenging and intercepting everything else. Martin looked a bit shaky at times in the 1st half but came into his own 2nd, claiming everything with confidence and a very safe pair of hands.

We were wondering if Kabongolo would be brought on to allow Taylor to push up into midfield where they weren't as dominant as we're used to seeing but, no. This wasn't necessary. Indeed, it was Taylor who won the penalty early in the 2nd half, which was slotted away comfortably by Bridge. 1-1. Then it was just a very short time later that Fonguck, on one of those runs he does, that forced an error out of one of their defenders to ease a shot past their GK - who really should have done better. Euphoria ensued! 2-1 to Blues!

And it could have been more. A quite convincing penalty appeal on Cardwell, Mooney coming on to remind us of his skills in getting forward and into positions, Bridge getting crosses in etc. Chesterfield continued trying to come at us but we just thwarted them at every opportunity. It was a fine performance against a very good team, and I should imagine a great match for a neutral to watch.

Chesterfield are going to walk this league, I don't think there's any doubt about that, and I don't begrudge them that - or the stroke of luck that led to them being in the position they are.....all down to an erroneous tick for a pandemic clause on an insurance document just before Covid struck! Since then, they have invested well and built a cracking team under an experienced manager. Fair play to them, but yesterday, that was our day and I think we ALL enjoyed it very much!

Martin - 7
Scott-Morriss - 8
Taylor - MOTM, 9
Kensdale - 7.5
Ralph - 8
Bridge - 8
Coker - 7.5
Husin - 7.5
Fonguck - 8
Wood - 7
Cardwell - 8

Subs: Mooney for Wood - 8
Kabongolo for Fonguck - n/a

Officials - thought the ref was Chesterfield's 12th man in the 1st half, but he improved in the 2nd. Lino west side was behind play for much of the game, and got some offsides wrong.

Have a word someone.
And yet you keep banging this same old drum.

Superbly prepared by Kev, Benno and Darren, this remarkable group of players had a never say die attitude throughout. They were running through invisible brick walls and putting their bodies on the line over and over again. I don't know where they got the energy to keep going to the extent that they they did - it was an incredible display of fitness from a small group of players under ridiculous constraints.
This, it continues to amaze me. Even Mooney who some say isn’t settled and wants away, not sure if that’s true but he certainly doesn’t act that way. On one occasion he sprinted at great speed from the right to close down a defender, then their keeper. It sums up the attitude of all of this squad. They leave everything out there. When it clicks like it did 2nd half we’re a joy to watch.

I had a cracking day with my family. Saw my mum in Shoeburyness took my grandson and my sons partner for their first Roots Hall experience, then down to the Townhouse for a very nice meal then on to watch the fireworks.

My grandson aged 6 opinion of Southend was "the're not too bad" 😁

Back