• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Chesterfield 3-0 Southend United

Some comments on here blow my mind. Let’s start with the facts. Chesterfield are a level above everyone in this league. The last two seasons in the NL has seen 3 outstanding sides. Personally I don’t think we need to be anywhere near that level to get out of this division (unless Oldham continue to build as they are) but more around the level Bromley and Barnet are this year. We are not far away.

In terms of the game then we did not do ourselves a disservice at the home ground of a team who had won their previous 17 games there. We gave as good as we got and only really looked outclassed in the final third. I am aware people on here will say that’s the main area but any other team than Chesterfield would not have scored 2 of those goals today.

Atmosphere in the away end was electric and we really got behind the team. Home support were dire in all honesty. Too used to winning has turned them into Arsenal fans! Also claims of racism against them soured things towards the end.

Performances across the park were good. No real stand outs but a good battling display that would have led to at least a point at pretty much every other team.

Special mentions to Waldron and Crowther on their debuts. Great to see and looked like they will fit in nicely without having time to show too much.

Safe travels home all. Up the Blues!
Not sure i agree with you on that, plenty of sides spend up to a decade getting out of the NL.

Not sure i agree with you on that, plenty of sides spend up to a decade getting out of the NL.
Scunthorpe achieved it quickly. That’s a better barometer of what we need to do THIS season. It’s not Championship Manager ‘93 FFS. You don’t just sign a part time player throw him straight in at the deep end and say ‘that’ll solve our scoring problems’.

Looks like Scunny could be back next season. Good to sea.

That’s fair. I just think that Chesterfield built their team to challenge for promotion last season and just got outgunned by two exceptional sides. They have kept the same squad this season with some further improvements and I think they are now actually far better than they need to be to get promoted. So I personally don’t think we need to build a squad that good to still win the title.

It certainly helps though!

For what it’s worth, my thoughts on today.

You can see Chesterfield are a good side, but I didn’t think either team was at their best today. The big difference in the match, as I saw it, was they managed to get shots on target whereas we didn’t, something of which we are so often guilty. Collin made one save and picked the ball out of the net three times while their keeper made one save from Dackers shot when 1 on 1 in the first half. The nearest we came to scoring was the attempt that was cleared off the line.

Defensively, there was not much difference between the two sides, and I thought in general Taylor, Kensdale and Ralph all played very well. Not forgetting Miley’s break up play in midfield as well of course. However, we do appear to allow the opposition too much space on the edge of our box thereby inviting shots to come in from between 15 and 18 yards, an issue I think that led to all three goals today (will have to watch the highlights to see whether I’m right about that). We defend the first ball but if it only gets cleared to the edge of the penalty area we are then frequently caught flat footed, watching the opposition pick up the second ball. With the striking capability the better teams in this league have it is asking for trouble.

In attack, I feel we are very predictable in playing almost everything out to the left hoping Bridge will produce something either individually or in combination with Fonguck and/or Ralph. Although we have scored a few goals from this strategy it appears that most teams have this covered now by overloading the right side of their defence. The interplay between Bridge and the others on that left side also delays the ball into the box, meaning the opposition have time to get plenty of players back to deny us space. Today I thought we looked most potentially dangerous on a couple of occasions when the ball was played directly forward in the inner channels for Dackers, Cardwell and/or Waldron to chase.

On balance, I think 3-0 was a flattering scoreline for Chesterfield but there’s no question they deserved the win. We are very much a work in progress and I doubt we will improve sufficiently in the coming weeks to make the playoffs; despite the fact we would be in the mix but for the 10 point deduction. I’m giving no thought to the playoffs and intend to just enjoy the remaining 18 games and see where we finish (gut feeling it will be 10th).

And it’s a very warm welcome back to ShrimperZone!

After what seems like an eternity of embargoes, court cases, ownership issues etc we can now turn our attention to the matters in hand.

Player bashing, manager bashing, I’ve missed you so much!

We were away at the runaway leaders FFS. Instead of looking at how many wins we need to make the play offs wouldn’t it be better to enjoy what we have, watch the new blood get professional standard fit and get enough points to avoid an end of season bunfight.

The scoreline was 3-0 but I've seen us play a lot worse and only lose 1-0.

First half we were quickly punished early for a sloppy passage of possession with a worldy strike, after that we started to find our feet. Lots of of possession in the final 3rd on the left side with the Bridge/Wes combo but the final ball just wasn't there most of the time.

Second half we were on the backfoot more, and Spireites looked much more deadly on the break, Dobra was an absolute menace. Once it was 3-0, we were starting to get a bit ragged as we looked for a consolation, fair play that we didn't come to park the bus.

Hard to form much opinion on Waldrons cameo as the ball wasn't getting up top very often after he got on. Dackers unlucky with the goal line clearance but his one on one effort was tame.

My experience of NLTV (My nemesis): couldn't get video to play full-screen on my iPad in any browser. Ended up running it on my laptop and chrome casting to TV. Northern solo commentary gave me John Adams vibes from our 90s match tapes. He kept commenting on how loud our fans were, even at 3-0 down.

First half we were quickly punished early for a sloppy passage of possession with a worldy strike, after that we started to find our feet. Lots of of possession in the final 3rd on the left side with the Bridge/Wes combo but the final ball just wasn't there most of the time.

Second half we were on the backfoot more, and Spireites looked much more deadly on the break, Dobra was an absolute menace. Once it was 3-0, we were starting to get a bit ragged as we looked for a consolation, fair play that we didn't come to park the bus.

Hard to form much opinion on Waldrons cameo as the ball wasn't getting up top very often after he got on. Dackers unlucky with the goal line clearance but his one on one effort was tame.

My experience of NLTV (My nemesis): couldn't get video to play full-screen on my iPad in any browser. Ended up running it on my laptop and chrome casting to TV. Northern solo commentary gave me John Adams vibes from our 90s match tapes. He kept commenting on how loud our fans were, even at 3-0 down.
And …he’s like a dog with a bone

The commentator was obviously a home supporter, but way better than most and tried to give a balanced view.

From what Ive seen from my very limited views is that the final ball is our biggest issue. Players like Wes are “okay” but lack the real quality needed to hurt the oppo. I know everyone has so much respect for the current batch of players but for us to get out of this league, we are going to have to improve and that means there will be some coming and going’s. It’s part and part of parcel of football sadly. I’m looking forward to getting back to RH for the first time in nearly 28 months next Saturday and seeing this side in person.

Ah @Kenny yes!! John Adams vibes is perfect. Also mentioned Colin being from Cameroon about 40 times lol

Agree with the sensible posters here, we were away at league leaders who had 17 wins on spin. Always going to be tough and was a free hit. Never like us after a break either, we always struggle. Happy to tick the game off as done and move on. The positives were minutes for Cardwell and getting Crowther and Waldron on the pitch. Second half of the season starts next week for me.

As for performances. Thought midfield were poor overall and Husin had one of those frustrating games were he doesn’t quite commit to an end product. Be it a 50-50 tackle he pulls out of, or getting a shot off when the opportunity is there. Wes lumbered a bit (but I’m a big fan) and Miley did Miley things without being stand out.

For all the criticism I thought Dackers did alright. He’s always a handful and surprisingly decent on the floor. Hindsight is great and can see why Kev went with Cardwell over Waldron but very similar players (cards and dacks) and think we could have mixed it up a bit. Still, big time options for Kev now.

It’s interesting some opinions I’m reading. Like now we have a squad there is already a tendency to start criticising style of play, approach, what we are doing wrong etc. when we just fielded an 11 from who was available, we all very much accepted the outcome. Will be an interesting few months.

I don’t doubt Kev will get it right more often than not and it’s going to be interesting team selection next week as for me bridge Husin Wes Dackers all have question marks…

The longish break thing is clearly an issue. 3 games postponed. Also possible to anticipate. We rarely win afterwards, so question? for the future planning, is it not possible to ensure at least one indoor interim intense game
We have done that on many occasions in the past just to help players get fit

Scunthorpe achieved it quickly. That’s a better barometer of what we need to do THIS season. It’s not Championship Manager ‘93 FFS. You don’t just sign a part time player throw him straight in at the deep end and say ‘that’ll solve our scoring problems’.

Looks like Scunny could be back next season. Good to sea.
Scunny and Yeovil are two potentially very strong teams coming up, not sure all of Scunnys financial problems are fully behind them.

It’s unusual for you to be negative!
Could be a case of histrionic personality disorder. The desire to be noticed by behaving dramatically to get attention. We all know Wiggy prefers a post when we lose. All a bit odd.

It's all about intent. They have it in the final third we don't.

Tough enough playing away to Chesterfield but a 20yd screamer after 4mins. mmmmm.

No good trying to blame X or Y for losing the ball, look at the crisp passing and the quick feet from Berry. The bit that annoyed me was our shockingly poor free kick just minute before. Set pieces did not improved all day including wasteful short corners even when Waldron and Crowther were on the pitch.

Their second was good example of how you create your own luck. Their lad out the left had two yellow shirts to get past. The very situation you have seen Bridge and Wes in 100 times this season. He just smashes it with pace and it skids off a Southend head. But look how alive they were when the ball was lose in our area.

Compare that with Dakers cleared header (from our one decent cross of the day). Watch what Bridge and Wes do....More to the point what they don't do.

Its not about who Kev should pick up front. Dackers has good feet and would thrive from decent crosses. Don't know if you could see on the TV but I was watching Cards make continuous runs or show feet. Both our forwards can hold ball up. No one in our team will play that ball. If they don't see an unmarked Yellow shirt they go back. Two forwards who can hold the ball should see a lot more of it than ours do.

Colin was hardly busy and third goal was one to many for what we deserved.

This is not meant in negative way. I see Chesterfield as the standard we have to aim for to get out of the NL. The same way as Wrexham Stockport and Lincoln did previously. We have some great qualities but its in and around the box where we fail. Its all about supply as well as finish

Best bit of the day was us singing 10 mins after the final whistle as their stadium emptied
Fantastic from the 800+. Once again you did you club and your county proud.

Last edited:
Chestefield are the Notts County of last year by far the best team in the league and like notts have gone under the radar in regards to spending relatively big money on ex league mercenaries to get them out of this league. They are superb going forward and finding gaps with their one touch football ? Did we match them in the other two thirds absolutely . To go toe to toe was the right thing to do and to play two up top all game showed we came to play and we mean business. I would suggest we are the second best team in this league by a country mile .. why are chestefield fans (on line) creating some kind of rivalry between us?? I’ll tell you why .. because any real working class passionate football fan would deep down love our story .. a club that has refused to die playing with 1 on the bench each week coaches having to play first team football and still … still we refuse to die, still we refuse to neglect our team .. still we follow them in greater numbers both home and away .plucking our players out of non league obscurities and still again still we compete , we rattle, we work harder and sharper than most … we are united in so many ways … give me that over a passionless bowl with league mercenaries any day of the week …

Yesterday we went toe to toe with chesterfield the difference money spent I would imagine .. there first and third goal superb . We gave them a game and they were both rattled on and off the pitch ….. off of message boards and social media they are a lovely humble group of fans good good luck to them this year. I just don’t understand why their fans don’t follow or get behind such a very special team ..

The difference today football league players (strikers) v grass roots strikers

Last edited:
God one defeat against the best team by miles in the division and the moaners come out of the woodwork. Never mind a few more on ignore.
I hate posts like this … what you mean is not sugar coating it or reality .. we are poor uptop .. we score because we play alot of poor clubs … that’s not moaning it’s opinion

It's all about opinions , but I do wish people would stop talking about play off chances.
Yes we would all love that , but we are just 4 points above the relegation places.
Do I think we'll be relegated ?
No I don't, I think we are far too good.
But with the players we are now signing, including the contract extentions , and the positivity surrounding the new consortium we have so much to look forward to.
Let's get ourselves safe and get this '**** show' of a season done and move on to what looks like being one full of optimism.
Once again , I really don't think we will go down , but the physical and mental strain on these players has been huge at times with the numbers we have had , so don't be surprised if levels drop off with some in the next month or so.
Let's push on next season - there's no one to fear.
We can still make the play offs as we are still the second best team in the league

Back