• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Chesterfield 3-0 Southend United

The longish break thing is clearly an issue. 3 games postponed. Also possible to anticipate. We rarely win afterwards, so question? for the future planning, is it not possible to ensure at least one indoor interim intense game
We have done that on many occasions in the past just to help players get fit
The same issues that our poor war weary players needed a rest after only having 12 fit pros?? That argument ? We all got told we needed a rest … we had one

Chestefield are the Notts County of last year by far the best team in the league and like notts have gone under the radar in regards to spending relatively big money on ex league mercenaries to get them out of this league. They are superb going forward and finding gaps with their one touch football ? Did we match them in the other two thirds absolutely . To go toe to toe was the right thing to do and to play two up top all game showed we came to play and we mean business. I would suggest we are the second best team in this league by a country mile .. why are chestefield fans (on line) creating some kind of rivalry between us?? I’ll tell you why .. because any real working class passionate football fan would deep down love our story .. a club that has refused to die playing with 1 on the bench each week coaches having to play first team football and still … still we refuse to die, still we refuse to neglect our team .. still we follow them in greater numbers both home and away .plucking our players out of non league obscurities and still again still we compete , we rattle, we work harder and sharper than most … we are united in so many ways … give me that over a passionless bowl with league mercenaries any day of the week …

Yesterday we went toe to toe with chesterfield the difference money spent I would imagine .. there first and third goal superb . We gave them a game and they were both rattled on and off the pitch ….. off of message boards and social media they are a lovely humble group of fans good good luck to them this year. I just don’t understand why their fans don’t follow or get behind such a very special team ..

The difference today football league players (strikers) v grass roots strikers

We met some real decent locals in the Batch house, just across the road from the stadium. Its probably good model for any potential fan zone.

They wouldn't let us upgrade our drinks for beer on the meal deal. However the shear joy of the childerns faces when we asked dad if his kids would like our Fanta. When you travel to these third world places like Chesterfield it can be a very humbling experience......I don't get the "You can't feed then all" argument...... I know those children will grow up dreaming of visiting Southend one day.

I hate posts like this … what you mean is not sugar coating it or reality .. we are poor uptop .. we score because we play alot of poor clubs … that’s not moaning it’s opinion
Actually I disagree we are “poor up top”. We have 4 strikers.

Cardwell has propped up the goalscoring this season and been superb but was first game back after injury.

We then had Dackers who I actually thought linked play really nicely but isn’t and shouldn’t defined by his height. He doesn’t use it as well as he could and if he did he’d be playing a lot higher up. Anyway he was only playing his second game back so not fully adjusted.

Sandat. 18 years old local lad who got a big move in the summer. Back on loan and played an handful of games since returning and done well but not a finished product.

Finally new signing Waldron. On debut and looked to impose himself when we were already a long way behind.

So in summary we are not poor at all. We have three of the four who have played less than 10 games between them for us this season and our main striker just back from injury. Away at the best side in the league. Not a fair comparison.

I didn't go and haven't seen anything of the match, but one thing is clear from the match reports on here.....there is no mention of Gus. Is that because, yet again, everything went out down that left hand side? So often you see him standing on the right wing, totally unmarked and looking for a quick or early ball, and so rarely does it come. We have to start changing things up and not always looking for Bridgey - Gus has a decent cross on him, we need to give him more opportunities to use it.

We met some real decent locals in the Batch house, just across the road from the stadium. Its probably good model for any potential fan zone.

They wouldn't let us upgrade our drinks for beer on the meal deal. However the shear joy of the childerns faces when we asked dad if his kids would like our Fanta. When you travel to these third world places like Chesterfield it can be a very humbling experience......I don't get the "You can't feed then all" argument...... I know those children will grow up dreaming of visiting Southend one day.
I love your posts with tongue firmly in cheek.
Thought Chesterfield was a decent place when there last season, especially on the bus back into town - and I didn't give them a Fanta or anything else. The bus driver even let me use my Cornwall bus pass!

I didn't go and haven't seen anything of the match, but one thing is clear from the match reports on here.....there is no mention of Gus. Is that because, yet again, everything went out down that left hand side? So often you see him standing on the right wing, totally unmarked and looking for a quick or early ball, and so rarely does it come. We have to start changing things up and not always looking for Bridgey - Gus has a decent cross on him, we need to give him more opportunities to use it.
No it didn't. Chesterfield were pretty good at nullifying the threat from both flanks. However, I do think that Jack is a strength of ours, but also a weakness.

imo Gus had, like too many yesterday an off day. His crossing was way below average. It also didn't help that from throws in range of their penalty box, we didn't fill it and so spurned opportunities to put them under pressure in their own box.

For a big game where you need 7 or 8 players on it, too many weren't.

Having said that, there have been many other matches where that hasn't been the case.

Last edited:
Chesterfield first of all are top of the league for a reason. They’re by far the best team in the division so in itself, losing away to them was expected and we shouldn’t be overly critical.

It’s the same things that keep us from winning these kind of matches. We’re good enough to beat most teams on our day. If not for the deduction we’re in the play off mix.

But .. (my opinions) ..
We don’t vary our play enough, we look for Bridge too often though yes, Gus had an off day. We don’t play it through the middle enough to switch it up, we don’t carry great threat from attacking midfield .. long shots, set pieces. We always seem to want to take that extra touch. We don’t get it in the box quick enough .. these aren’t ‘new’ problems. Yes we play nice stuff but nice doesn’t win games .. you’ve got to be ruthless, our opposition certainly were.

I’d say give Dackers and certainly Waldron time. Cards is only just back. We’ll see better next week, home game.. no disrespect to Gateshead but they aren’t Chesterfield. If we win the play off talk will no doubt start over.

imo Gus had,.like too many yesterday an off day. His crossing was.way below average. It also didn't help that from throws.in range of their penalty box, we didn't fill it and so spurned opportunities to put them under pressure in there own box.

For.a.big game where you need 7 or 8 players on it, too many weren't.

Having said that, there have been many other matches where that hasn't been the case.
Agree mate, thought Gus had a poor game and looked up against it

54 points to play for, plus we have a game in hand.

Stranger things have happened
The problem is you need at least 40 pts as usually 7th gets 74-75 pts
We can still make the play offs as we are still the second best team in the league
Sorry but you are not. The best team we have seen at Chesterfield were Altrincham, we were very lucky to beat them. If Altrincham play as well as they did against us for the rest of the season they are my favourites to win the play offs. They won 4-0 yesterday, and given the number of games in hand of Bromley and Barnet could easily catch them. Southend are reasonable, they were great when we played them away especially considering all the issues, but Altrincham were a different level

Sorry but you are not. The best team we have seen at Chesterfield were Altrincham, we were very lucky to beat them. If Altrincham play as well as they did against us for the rest of the season they are my favourites to win the play offs. They won 4-0 yesterday, and given the number of games in hand of Bromley and Barnet could easily catch them. Southend are reasonable, they were great when we played them away especially considering all the issues, but Altrincham were a different level
When you have been under an embargo for over a year, don't have a pot to urinate in and not enough players to populate the subs bench, then come the revolution and embargo lifted, newbies in and feeling buoyant again for the first time in ages, there is absolutely no harm in starting to dream. We may make the play-offs, we may not. A lot depends on how quickly the new players gel with the squad. Come the end of the season we shall all see where we end up.

So thanks for the feedback, it's always welcome, and yes, we were great in November, when under an embargo, potless and lacking players, we turned over the best team in the league, deservedly so. Now go and get your trophy.

I can name 3

About 5 years ago you posted something positive.

4 years ago you posted something that wasn't attention seeking

Then 3 years ago you posted something interesting.
FWIW I think we'll win our next home game aginst Gateshead.See this is how you spend your time now you're no longer best mates with the Chairman.:Winking:

Thankfully, if Kevin feels the same, the option is now there. Ralph can play wing back with Crowther coming in. Whatever happens, exciting times are ahead.
Pretty sure thats why kev bought players like powell and mooney so we can be effective cutting in down both flanks. Hasnt quite worked out yet.

An "eye opener" for Kevin says Paul Clark.

Nailed it imo. Its where we need to be to get out of this league.
I don’t agree that it’s an “eye opener”, in fact I came away feeling very positive and don’t think we are far away at all.

On the day we were generally the better team and controlled the game. The difference between the teams was when it came to the final third. They looked dangerous whereas our attacking players never really bothered them.

From what I’ve seen this season we are by far the best footballing side in this division….no-one comes close. We need to find someone with that little spark in the attacking areas and we’ll be very difficult to stop IMO.

Losing

Luckily a season and the quality of a team isn’t decided on who played better at Chesterfield.

You’ve only seen us and Altrincham play twice, that really isn’t enough for you to categorically say they are better than us.

They have only earnt 2 more points than us this season (46 compared to our 44), despite all of our issues, having 2 subs and playing defenders up front. Yet they are a ‘different level’ to us? Give me a break.

Back