• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-1 Aldershot Town

Shaky parts in the first half but we made the most of a fortunate red card. JD is a tremendous professional. Really pleased for Wood to take his chance with a fantastically taken goal and assist, lovely finish from Dackers too. There's been plenty of times where we've played against worse sides with ten men and didn't make it count so credit to us there. Altrincham have lost three on the bounce, let's take these wins into Tuesday and finish this season strongly.

Kudos to Collin for a decent save from Tolaj at 1-0 down. That goes in and it's probably game over.

Half-time expert opinion from the Temple of Doom...

“Mahers methods will take us nowhere in the future, horrible to watch!” Wigs insists.

“Is crab ball in full affect today?” insists Gates.

“You've got to ask yourself just how many of our players would make the first team in the top 10 teams in this league,” Strikes insists.
Lol, i stand by my comment still, but delighted with the result 😄

southendkid said:
Take the 10 point deduction away and we'd be next to them in the table, and Altrincham aren't in great form themselves having lost 3 on the bounce. If this result installs some confidence in us there's no reason we can't win on Tuesday.

Sorry guys but that 10 points deduction is here to stay.
Who said it wasn't? Ignoring the 10 point deduction when comparing how good a team is to us is basic logic.

I appreciate this is pretty niche, but we’ve hit the woodwork again today, which makes it 6 times in 5 games. Would love to know, if possible, if that’s some kind of record for us, and if not, what the record is.
I was thinking the same thing. 5 games in a row now!

Reactions: GBJ
What a superb win. What a boost for the players, the management, the fans, and the consortium. At last, a useless ref, but in our favour. Brilliant use of subs. Waldron getting a full game will do him the world of good. He's looking a bit faster and fitter already. Cards is back. Ollie, so calm. Most defenders would have hit that first time. A shame that he's got a cut under the eye, but he should be O.K. J.D. We need to check his date of birth. He can't be 36?

I appreciate this is pretty niche, but we’ve hit the woodwork again today, which makes it 6 times in 5 games. Would love to know, if possible, if that’s some kind of record for us, and if not, what the record is.
I have seen a vision of you in 5 years.

Firstly, what a class finish from Jack Wood for the third to make the game safe.

First half was what is sadly becoming a signature slipshod half from us, with loads of pressure, then gift the ball away and get punished. After that we huffed and puffed as the half just slipped away.

Second half and if the ref changed the game completely, with a very harsh red card.

Then from the free kick, which for a change is on target, we get the rebound and 1 all.

From there we push on and with the aid of the defender deciding to challenge and miss a floated cross and Kens calmly controls before blasting home.

then we play much better, but with only one goal in it, you never quite know whether we are going to slip up again. Kens goes off injured and Wes comes on, we go into 9 minutes of added time and score twice in those nine minutes.

So in the end a comfortable win and over the years we have suffered on the back of some dodgy decisions, today we got one our way and took advantage.

Big win for the club and like Tuesday, loads of positives, Jack Wood and Marcus Dackers Scoring, Cards back on target.

Demi again doing well, rarely let's this club down.

Colin a couple of good stops.

For most of the game the back three coped well, but thanks to the ref the defence had an easier day today.

Cav imo had a poor first half, but much better in the second.

Morton did Ok, hasn't found his shooting boots yet, but a couple of good balls in, the early one that Waldron put on target in particular was good.

Noor and Jack both did well. Jack again more attacking and Noor was everywhere on the pitch.

Waldron looks better with every appearance and mobility alot better and taking some of the weight off of cards shoulders, which will help him too. Great to see cards on the scoresheet.

Great to see a strong second half, but bear the ref's decision in mind and let's not get carried away, but 50 goals so far this season and up to 15th, it's a much better weekend that last week!

Altrincham on Tuesday and they lost conceding three today, so let's hope we play like the second half today and keep their first effort out and give ourselves a chance to go ahead and build on a lead.

UTB

Josh Barrett for Aldershot looked embarrassingly unfit for a footballer.

Has he come back from injury or just always that overweight?

Slow and flat first half aldershot streets more consise and driven and our midfield of niceness over ran again … step up referee .. kensdale learning from JD how to take someone out , how we got away with that I don’t know ?? There player sending off for something a lot less obvious than Ollie … Jack wood should be and could be the speed trickery and increase in tempo we so desperately need .. easier against 10 men, we were wel under the cosy against their 11. Worst ref ever but an unbelievable asset to us today

We know that referees can be totally incompetent at this level but should we complain if they are totally incompetent in our favour? The game turned on that red card (not the right decision according to our commentator) but, after having said that, isn't it rare for us to take advantage of a numeric advantage. ( I do remember us doing It a number of years ago in a glorious midweek evening game at Pompey) Whatever, we really need that result ...gives us more confidence and helps us move away from the trap door.
I beg to differ. Their player was the last man and he pulled Waldron down. The letter of the law is a red card

Obviously i didnt see the game but would well come comments on Woods performance today. Sart next game.
I’ve long been an advocate of giving Wood a chance and he provided exactly what we’ve been missing, a threat from the right..an outlet. He’s very direct and took his goal very calmly. Kev got the subs right today. Dackers’ finish was superb. I’m enjoying my post match pint (I won’t dwell on the first half, as it doesn’t really matter!)

Back