• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-1 Aldershot Town

So much to look back on. The concern at halftime. A red card. Dackers almost taking the roof out of the onion bag. Ollie's calm smash into the net in his 100th game. Woody's great solo run and goal. Woody's great run and space shot, which i calculate has just conmpleted its fourth orbit of the Moon. Bridgey's beautifully worked free kick routine with Cards, which fooled so many into thinking that, as a free kick, it was a stinker! A ref with a kind of "Now I see it, now I don't" type attitude. Aldershots physicality. Aldershot's players witrh hands on hips, stunned, as they kicked off for the fourth time. Round the ground celebrations, and those of the scorers after each goal. My young grandson jumping up and down like a maniac on one of his rare visits to the Hall. And now I've come home to a cuppa and achunk of cake made by my even younger granddaughter.
What a day. More please!!
Fantastic second half performance and result. On to Tuesday! Let's maximise those games in hand.
COYB!!!

Last edited:
Well that was up there with one of the most bizarre games ever. You would have thought that the ref had never seen a game of football in his life let alone reffed one. First half Aldershot were all over us, pressing, holding pushing, knocking us over. Their pressing got their goal as we dithered, got caught in possession even Cav was totally unsettled. The ref gave us nothing - they were very quick on the break and kept 2 or 3 players up all the time.

The game turned the sending off - Waldron was getting away and last man Menayese grabbed his forearm and pulled Waldron over. The keeper spilled Bridges shot and we were on our way. We quickly got a second and started to control the game as Aldershot stopped doing what they’d done to us in the first half.

The bizarre decisions and non decisions continued all afternoon. Compared with Abigail on Tuesday - well there’s no comparison.

Ollie went off with what looks to be a broken nose. Jack Wood scored an excellent goal running at pace across the box and firing in with his left. Even Dackers was looking good and finished the game off.

My MoM - Jason Demetriou - who needs pace when you can read the game and play passes like him.

Josh Stokes - who Bristol. City paid £200k for looks a decent footballer but need taking down a peg or too. Where’s John Kurila, Paul Robert’s and Joe Jacques when you need them.

And then there was Sub number 20 Josh Barrett - possibly the fattest player playing pro football.

Great to win and even better to beat their unpunished harassment and the ref.

Would love to see a replay, but from my view it was a blatant pull for the red card, stopping Waldron from running in on goal. I thought it was about the only decision the ref got right for either team all day!

Aldershot got away with murder in the first half, had 3/4 counters sprung through blatant fouls that the ref ignored. Then the 2nd half it felt the other way around. One of the strangest refs we're ever likely to see.

We played so much better after the red card, and the subs Dackers and Wood both come on to make a real difference, even without their goals they were really impressive.

What a performance mainly in the second half thought every one played well but the subs changed the game wood and Dackers were unplayable at times even when wood when went to right wing back he was mustard and that was the dackers from last season Any way 6 goals in 2 games 2 wins on the bounce Maher out 😂😂

According to the latest tablehttps://www.sportinglife.com/football/league-tables/english-national-league/7 'We'd still be behind both Altrincham + Oldham -even with 10 extra points.
Which is why I said we'd be next to them in the table, not ahead of them. A 10th place team (which is where we'd be) playing a home fixture against 9th place should be an even contest on paper.

First time I’ve been to a game since the start of January for various reasons.

The shots should have been 2-0 up at half time after 2 errors from us where we just passed it to them. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t a great first half either. At least we had a few shots on target.

The red card completely changed the game…I’ll be honest I was convinced the ref was only going to give a yellow after waiting that long. I think it was prob a yellow as Waldron wasn’t ‘in’ directly on the centre of the goal. My work Aldershot mate says they are all complaining about the red and we would probably be complaining too. I’ll take it though.

Like the look of Waldron first time I’ve seen and Demi is a club legend for still putting in performances like that for us.

We know that referees can be totally incompetent at this level but should we complain if they are totally incompetent in our favour? The game turned on that red card (not the right decision according to our commentator) but, after having said that, isn't it rare for us to take advantage of a numeric advantage. ( I do remember us doing It a number of years ago in a glorious midweek evening game at Pompey) Whatever, we really need that result ...gives us more confidence and helps us move away from the trap door.
Forget the bit about Pompey......there we won after WE had been reduced to ten men! Don't get old!!!🤭😂😂😂

Very poor first half, gave the ball away numerous times, one of which led to their goal.
Sending off was the turning point.
Weak free kick from Bridge that the keeper didn't hold and Cardwell pounced.
Dodgy again at the back for our second goal, Kensdale given the freedom of the 6 yard area to make it 2-0
Wood and Dackers came on and stakes a claim. Wood was a good outlet and his goal was calm and composed, teasing their defence before slotting away
Dackers looked tricky, better than I've seen him this time round and his goal was ferocious
Miley looked poor today, lost the ball more than I've ever seen.

Big shout out to Demi. He runs and runs, gets in great positions. Second half he played so many intelligent balls into dangerous areas.

Thought we were lucky that Aldershot self destructed through a red card, had 1-0 loss all over it before then.

But we still have to put the ball away, and we did so on 4 different occasions. Most I’ve seen us score in person for a while.

Thought the ref was useless, missed an arguably equal red for us when someone pulled down Stokes (who is one of the biggest ****ers we’ve played against this season) both sides should have been down to 10.

Waldron looks like he’s improving. As a team we need to feed him with lots of through balls and low crosses, he seems to thrive off that kind of service.

Midfield is still problematic. We need a Josh Stokes style of player behind the strikers, but arguably one who’s much more effective than he was against us today.

Football i guess came kind of second to me today, it was more about never seeing @The Big Dady again, so i was admittedly kind of subdued after we kicked off although beforehand i was my usual sarcastic self.

So nice to see so many people visit and ask about the flowers and for his son Lee to join us for todays game.

That win was for him!

Obviously i didnt see the game but would well come comments on Woods performance today. Sart next game.
Thought Wood and Dackers both looked better than the starting duo, however in very different circumstances. Good to know that they have both got decent ability, skill wise and shooting 👍

A comfortable and much needed win in the end following a sloppy first half, with Miley in particular being uncharacteristically poor.

Waldron looked far sharper than when I last saw him v York, he turns the defender very well and did so for the red card. I thought the red looked a bit harsh from my vantage point in the East Black, I'm not sure if Waldron would have been clean through? Maybe Ralph getting in the refs ear and clear 'off' chanting from us helped sway the ref!

Fair play to the lads for taking advantage of the extra man though and scoring two quick goals. It was great to see Wood come on and flourish I'm his more natural position, he perhaps deserves a start next match now as a more attacking midfield option?

Finally, I was really pleased to see both Cardwell and Dackers score and hopefully we'll see goals flowing again now :Happy:
I must say Waldron looks like he’s going to be a massive asset to this team, exceptional balance and pace and I rate him highly.

Back