• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-1 Aldershot Town

SOUTHEND United boss Kevin Maher praised the response of his players during the second half of the Shrimpers’ 4-1 win against Aldershot at Roots Hall.

Blues fought back from a goal down at the break to record a second victory in succession.
And Maher admitted Harry Cardwell’s equaliser just moments after Rollin Menayese had been sent off was a crucial moment of the match.
“They’ve had the sending off and scoring straight after that is important,” said Maher.
“It almost didn’t give them time to reorganise because it can be difficult playing 10 men once they’re set.”
Menayese saw red after pulling back Shrimpers striker Danny Waldron.
And Maher understood why the decision was made.
“I’ve watched it back and it’s tight,” said the Blues boss.
“He’s going into the box and he’s been held back so I can see why it’s been given.”
Ollie Kensdale, Jack Wood and Marcus Dackers went on to join Cardwell on the score-sheet.
But it was Aldershot who had the better of the first half.
“I actually thought we started well and had good passages of play but without really threatening enough,” said Maher.
“We turned the ball over cheaply which gave them opportunities to counter.
“It was bad decisions on the ball sometimes but the response in the second half was very good.”
However, Maher always expected a stern test for the Shrimpers.
“It was always going to be a tough game because they’re a play-off team,” said Maher.
“They’ve got a very good squad full of good players.
“They cause every team problems with what they’ve got going forwards.
“But it was important we got out the right side of that, especially after going behind.”

A lesson for Aldershot: don’t cheat.

They had been in complete control before their last man attempted to haul back Waldron. There was no question it was a foul but Waldron was drifting wide. Aldershot fans will no doubt be aggrieved and say he was heading away from goal and should only have been yellow but he’d gotten in front of his man and his next touch would have likely have straightened his run before shooting at goal. The ref deemed it a red - a decision I don’t think we’d have got away from home - and from the resulting freekick their keeper fumbled it to Cardwell for his first goal since his injury at which point their heads dropped as they knew this wasn’t going to be their day.

Cardwell deserved his goal after a disastrous injury and haircut. With his hair growing back he was more like the Cardwell of old using his pace to close them down and make life uncomfortable. He’s a horrible player to play against with that size and pace and workrate.

Minutes later Ollie Kensdale marked his 100th appearance by finding himself alone and unmarked six yards out (playing v 10 men is fun!) and the game had been turned on its head before Aldershot even managed to react to the sending off with a sub.

It was an extraordinary turnaround because up until then we’d failed to beat Aldershot’s press, were losing the ball in midfield and they were picking us off on the counter. They took the lead and it could have been two when they smacked the woodwork. But once we had a man advantage they could no longer press man to man.

Even with a lead Maher responded by bringing on Jack Wood for Morton to try and hit them on the break. Wood went on the right wing with Ralph pushing further out to the left with more of a back four shape. The idea was to stretch the 10 men by pulling them wide. We ended up losing some fluency but after Kensdale kept up our streak of hitting the woodwork, Dackers and Fonguck came on for Cardwell and the injured Kensdale and we made it count in the 9 minutes of injury time. First Wood took a pass from Dackers and drifted inside, dropped his shoulder and stroked it into the net for a very well taken goal. Then Wood returned the compliment playing in Dackers who finished powerfully into the top corner. Two very well taken goals that should boost the confidence of our squad players and eerily reminiscent to the opening day of the season when our subs added a third and fourth with quality finishes in injury time against opponents reduced to 10 men.

Colin - 7 couple of good saves

Demi - 8 this guy defies the age logic, he didn’t stop all game have to say his been superb the last 2 games.

Crowther - 8 this man is one hell of a find, he is quality in the air and also in the tackle

Kensdale - 7 took his goal well, first half I just feel he slowed us down a lot and some wayward passes.

Ralph - 8 we are lucky to have a player of his quality in my opinion, another solid performance today has a great leap on him.

Bridge - 7 not as effective today as he was against Maidenhead but still put in a shift.

Miley - 6 worst game I’ve seen Cav have and I say that as probably one of his biggest fans just didn’t read the ball overly well today, however a couple of his tackles were inch perfect.

Morton - 7 didn’t really flow for him today but I’ve given him a 7 purely for his passing today into the final 3rd.

Husin - 7 I thought Noor was the pick of our midfielders today the lad gets everywhere in that pitch.

Cardwell - 8 thought he was excellent in the 2 roles asked of him today, the hold hold and flick ons to the running the channel he was brilliant today.

Waldron - 8 what a performance from Waldron today his work rate is incredible and his ability to turn on the ball with his first touch is second to none my man of the match today, deserved a goal today

Subs

Dackers - 8 now I am probably have been biggest critic since his return but my god he was like something possessed today his didn’t stop .. won every header and executed a really well struck shot

Fonguck - 6 didn’t do much, not much time.

Wood - 8 best performance I’ve seen from Woody in a Southend shirt, just says something when you play the lad in his natural position he has the ability to twist opposing players shorts in a knot with his dribbling and again a superb solo run for his goal !

well that was a mental game
first half we started well but the goal took the wind out of our sails and we started over playing and over thinking.
Miley and I thought Kensdale both looked a bit shaky
second half and the sending off obviously helped us raise our game and after that it was all us - nice to see JD keeping everyone calm and composed at 2-1 trying to slow the game down

Wood and Dackers nice and positive when they came on - Kev’s post match interview he told Dackers to ‘play angry’ and it worked - best he’s played since returning

My MotM - yes 4 different scorers and yes Kens 100th appearance- but for me it was Ralph

I’m not sure what to say about the referee’s performance as I’m still in shock - probably the most bizarre display i’ve seen in 35 years of being a Shrimper 🦐

As a side note, great to see Dackers actually starting to resemble a footballer. I was dismayed early on when he finally won a header… with his face.

Then something happened and he turned into Ronaldinho, turning players, assisting goals and ****ting one into the roof of the net.

Love it when players make you eat your words.

What. A. Finish.

Colin - 7 couple of good saves

Demi - 8 this guy defies the age logic, he didn’t stop all game have to say his been superb the last 2 games.

Crowther - 8 this man is one hell of a find, he is quality in the air and also in the tackle

Kensdale - 7 took his goal well, first half I just feel he slowed us down a lot and some wayward passes.

Ralph - 8 we are lucky to have a player of his quality in my opinion, another solid performance today has a great leap on him.

Bridge - 7 not as effective today as he was against Maidenhead but still put in a shift.

Miley - 6 worst game I’ve seen Cav have and I say that as probably one of his biggest fans just didn’t read the ball overly well today, however a couple of his tackles were inch perfect.

Morton - 7 didn’t really flow for him today but I’ve given him a 7 purely for his passing today into the final 3rd.

Husin - 7 I thought Noor was the pick of our midfielders today the lad gets everywhere in that pitch.

Cardwell - 8 thought he was excellent in the 2 roles asked of him today, the hold hold and flick ons to the running the channel he was brilliant today.

Waldron - 8 what a performance from Waldron today his work rate is incredible and his ability to turn on the ball with his first touch is second to none my man of the match today, deserved a goal today

Subs

Dackers - 8 now I am probably have been biggest critic since his return but my god he was like something possessed today his didn’t stop .. won every header and executed a really well struck shot

Fonguck - 6 didn’t do much, not much time.

Wood - 8 best performance I’ve seen from Woody in a Southend shirt, just says something when you play the lad in his natural position he has the ability to twist opposing players shorts in a knot with his dribbling and again a superb solo run for his goal !
Pretty much agree with your ratings, though I don't think Miley deserves a 6 🙂; thought he was very poor and could have cost us a second. Said pre-match I would have left him out and think he should be dropped on Tuesday. We all want the old Miley back, so maybe a couple of sub appearances will do him good.

Was pleasantly surprised by Dackers today; won headers, put himself about - hopefully a sign of things to come.

Lovely moment in 2nd half in front of West stand when an intended ball to Jack Wood was going straight to the opposition, bit of a weak pass. Jack quickly realising he was the wrong side stuck and shoulder into the fella and turned that ball over. I thought thats a will to win right there.
Later on he's bursting into the box and shooting the ball high wide and glorious, clearing the South stand, awful shooting. Next thing i know, he's picked it up outside the box, jinked a couple and facing the keeper, nonchantly passing the ball past the keeper.
Well done Jack.

Massive result.

I didn't make it today. But all our 4 goals came after their sending off.

Was that really the difference or did we just up our game second half?
I was wondering where and how we would get back in to it.
But then…..red card and then us scoring from the resulting free kick (dodgy keeping error) crushed Aldershot.
From then on it was one way traffic.

I hope you don't need this Ollie K, but if you do a very decent bugle protector can be yours.

1708802997857.png

Back