• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Terracing at Fossets Farm

I could be wrong but I remember attendances being much higher than 3k. I'm not advocating completely getting rid of seats - just giving people the choice. First 10 rows all the way round is not a bad idea - similar to how the east stand used to be.

New Stadium has approx 24 rows all the way round. If you had the first ten as a terrace you would then lose a couple more rows because the seating would need to be higher.

That would leave space for 12 rows of approx 11,000 seats and space for 11,000 standing (gone are the days of 10,000 people cramming into tiny ends like Northampton's Hotel End).

Having a terrace could also reduce income as a standing area would have to be cheaper than any seated area.

Mike will eat his hat if there's terracing at the new stadium. He's even willing to take the risk of making this a big hat as Ron told him a few years ago that the new ground would definitely be all seater.

I think it will be all seater - to start with. But lets make the design flexible so that if the rules change to allow a safe standing area we can accomodate that without too much difficulty/expense.

In all seriousness (for a minute): I do keep bringing it up but it's worth saying again. I approached Ron Martin about five years ago about incorporating the "kombi seat" design into a new stadium. This design would mean that the stadium would be a designated all-seater when required (European competition, etc.) but one stand could be converted very simply into a very safe standing area (i.e. terrace) when there was no requirement. There is such a system in the Volksparkstadion in Hamburg which the Football Licensing Authority went to assess back in 2001; they concluded that the design couldn't be installed in an existing stadium (differing row depth in existing stadia in England and Wales) but they admitted that it could be incorporated into a new development. However the cost was quite prohibitive, something with Ron was quick to point out!

LINK: FLA Report on "Kombi" Seating

I think safe standing is something that the Germans in general (not just Hamburg, Dortmund as well unless I'm mistaken) do incredibly well and I really hope that it won't be long until we see similar designs in this country. Although if Cameron is the one to initiate it I'll be more than a little surprised.

New Stadium has approx 24 rows all the way round. If you had the first ten as a terrace you would then lose a couple more rows because the seating would need to be higher.

That would leave space for 12 rows of approx 11,000 seats and space for 11,000 standing (gone are the days of 10,000 people cramming into tiny ends like Northampton's Hotel End).

Having a terrace could also reduce income as a standing area would have to be cheaper than any seated area.

Ah if theres going to be 24 rows then I wouldnt have the first 10 standing then!

Personally I think say, the first 25% of the front of each end behind the goal should be terracing to help generate atmosphere.

I think safe standing is something that the Germans in general (not just Hamburg, Dortmund as well unless I'm mistaken) do incredibly well and I really hope that it won't be long until we see similar designs in this country. Although if Cameron is the one to initiate it I'll be more than a little surprised.

Indeed. And the ticket prices reflect the policy of safe standing areas in Germany. Admission to Schalke 04 (currently 2nd in the Bundesliga) is less than €10 (less than £6) and to Borussia Dortmund (8th) less than €12 (just £8). Could you really see the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United lowering their prices? I couldn't. The game in England has been poisoned for too long by the obscene amounts of money flowing through its veins and I very much doubt that the big clubs are going to change their policies, even if Government allows them to consider safe standing areas. A shame.

Indeed. And the ticket prices reflect the policy of safe standing areas in Germany. Admission to Schalke 04 (currently 2nd in the Bundesliga) is less than €10 (less than £6) and to Borussia Dortmund (8th) less than €12 (just £8). Could you really see the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United lowering their prices? I couldn't. The game in England has been poisoned for too long by the obscene amounts of money flowing through its veins and I very much doubt that the big clubs are going to change their policies, even if Government allows them to consider safe standing areas. A shame.

Alas, I fear you've got it spot on...

From the official website of the Los Angeles Galaxy, destination of a certain David Beckham:

"Sections 137 and 138 are designated Galaxy supporters' sections. Fans who sit in this sections typically stand, sing, chant, and enthusiastically and loudly support the Galaxy throughout the game. Please contact a Galaxy representative at 877-3GALAXY (877-342-5299) if you are considering sitting in or near these two sections."

Source: Official Site of the LA Galaxy

It's funny how one of the most H&S conscious countries, land of the compensation claim, allows fans to congregate in this manner and shows just how dated and ridiculous our demand to have fans seated at all times has become in the UK. At this rate, the US is going to become a far more passionate place to watch football. The US! How great would it be to have one of these sections at the new stadium?

I feel sorry for you guys! At least here in Spain, they have had a similar policy for years. I have mentioned earlier that the Mestalla, home of Valencia CF, have special sections for the ultras, areas in which there might officially be 200 seats but probably house at least twice that number making the most remarkable noise.

Back