• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Today's Echo

Napster

No ⭐
all about Darryl. Only been offered a one-year deal and not sure if he'll sign. He knew we were signing another keeper to replace Collis, so not worried about that, just the length of the deal and so on.

Does seem a bit harsh as Flavs has played higher league football than Mildenhall and been a loyal servant and is roughly the same age yet Flavs gets offered 1 year deal and Mildenhall gets 3 years....

We always offer people one year deals as a polite way of saying we nolonger want them... If I were Darryl I would turn it down!!! I hope this is one Ron is prepared to negotiate... really want him to stay as he is still a quality keeper and a Southend legend :)

Problem is i dont think darryl has hardly been threatened by competetion from the bench apart from the old days when the likes of emberson (or embaresson) was put in goal.

We always offer people one year deals as a polite way of saying we nolonger want them... If I were Darryl I would turn it down!!! I hope this is one Ron is prepared to negotiate... really want him to stay as he is still a quality keeper and a Southend legend :)

He is a goalkeeper with strengths and flaws. These flaws were ruthlessly exposed at Championship level and increasingly so last season in League 1. He is far from irreplaceable and a long way short (no pun intended) of a "legend". Maybe time to move on.

Or perhaps because if we offer them a year at the same or better, they aren't entitled to any severance if they turn it down?

Maybe they are offering a shorter deal so he can have a bit more money. Would make sense I suppose. Still think he should have, at minimum, a two year deal with options to extend!

:support:

Problem is i dont think darryl has hardly been threatened by competetion from the bench apart from the old days when the likes of emberson (or embaresson) was put in goal.

good point, but when are you ever going to realisticly have a two good equally good keepers without having one of them unhappy because there not getting enough first team games..

Does seem a bit harsh as Flavs has played higher league football than Mildenhall and been a loyal servant and is roughly the same age yet Flavs gets offered 1 year deal and Mildenhall gets 3 years....

Thats ridiculus. This loyalty lark is crazy - he has been offered a deal that suits the club...I get the feeling Mildenhall will be the number one next season over shortie flappy flavs.

And what happens if Mildenhall belongs in the dudds column with the likes of paynter foran or even richards or gilbert or keepers such as Emberson Prudhoe or more recently Grimiek or Collis.

What then we we only have masters or the like on the bench or to put your theory to the test and inferior number 2 keeper.

Players like Maher and Flavs have been treated poorly by the club and its no wonder that when you behave like that that players wont re-sign or indeed look to leave.

Reminds me of a fella i used to work with. Was with the firm in the city for 30 years and got the shoddiest looking clock to marj the occasion aswell as a letter offering a ****ty redundency.

The moral of the story is dont stay any where too long or you will continue to be treated poorly whilst new recruits get better deals and that now seems the case at roots hall.

Thats ridiculus. This loyalty lark is crazy - he has been offered a deal that suits the club...I get the feeling Mildenhall will be the number one next season over shortie flappy flavs.

Whats crazy is we are not showing any loyalty... Darryl has given us years of quality service between the sticks giving us some of the best years this club has seen. As said before Darryl won player of the year for this league and was one of the main reasons we won it... he was still good last year... don't forget man of the match performaces such as 2 penalty saves against Crewe... and we would not have even been in the tie going to Doncaster if it wasn't for his 1st leg performance!

He is still a quality keeper... sure hes shorter than some keepers but thats why he is with us and not in a higher division!!! He may be short but hes not flappy... there are some terrible keepers at this level, perhaps people won't realise just how lucky we have been until hes gone but for now I just wish the Darryl bashers would "GROW UP"!!!

Pun intended ;)

He is a goalkeeper with strengths and flaws. These flaws were ruthlessly exposed at Championship level and increasingly so last season in League 1. He is far from irreplaceable and a long way short (no pun intended) of a "legend". Maybe time to move on.

Theres no doubting he has his flaws Mick... everyone does! But I find it hard to believe a player who is 8th in our all-time appearance list having helped us to one of our most successful periods as a club with our trips to Cardiff a league 2 playoff final win and winning league 1 is not considered a legend??? As with Maher, it will be a sad day when he goes...

Time and time again he has been exposed on crosses, not coming for a ball etc....., yes great shot stopper at times but too many flaws in his game in my book, time for him to move on.

Or maybe the defence of Clarke and Barrett simply does not work.

Clarke and spinner and Clarke and Sodje or Barrett and Spinner Barrett and Sodje worked but not Clarke and Barrett.

Cant fault Barrett at all for workrate but does get woefully exposed at times especially when we where in the championship.

We should find a Mature experienced player to partner clarke and use barrett as sub or at left back of sweeper.

Theres no doubting he has his flaws Mick... everyone does! But I find it hard to believe a player who is 8th in our all-time appearance list having helped us to one of our most successful periods as a club with our trips to Cardiff a league 2 playoff final win and winning league 1 is not considered a legend??? As with Maher, it will be a sad day when he goes...

He wouldn't be in my top 5 keepers since I've been watching. How many legends can one have?

Or maybe the defence of Clarke and Barrett simply does not work.

Clarke and spinner and Clarke and Sodje or Barrett and Spinner Barrett and Sodje worked but not Clarke and Barrett.

Cant fault Barrett at all for workrate but does get woefully exposed at times especially when we where in the championship.

We should find a Mature experienced player to partner clarke and use barrett as sub or at left back of sweeper.

Totall agree, a combination of Barrett, Clarke and Flavs does not work. If we sign another Prior/Sodje then Flavs lack of height and command of crosses is a very small flaw that can be compensated by the centre backs. (As was the case in the League 2 and League 1 promotion years).

If we stick with Barrett and Clarke, then we need a more commanding and taller goalkeeper.

Its not that Flavs faults have got worse, its that the current defence do not suit his style of play anymore.

I think that after our failure in the play-offs the management have decided to have a shuffle of the pack and a thorough investigation of the team with view to some radical moves.

There is no doubt that Daryl is a good shot stopper but you can't get way from the fact that he is short and we have been put under pressure by his lack of height and failure to command the 6 yd area. I fully believe that Mildy has been brought in to correct this part of the defence and the offer of only a year for Daryl adds weight to it. We can't live on past glories or saves and have to move on for the benefit of the whole team. I can see Mildy as the No. 1 over the course of next season.

all about Darryl. Only been offered a one-year deal and not sure if he'll sign. He knew we were signing another keeper to replace Collis, so not worried about that, just the length of the deal and so on.

How many years are Havant and Waterlooville offering?

Back