• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the Sitcoms - Semi Final No 1

Which Sitcom ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alan Partridge, Aha!

Far more original comedy than OFAH. You did well reaching the semi's Sean mate but you'll have to go some to win here.

Ta Jon. If by "go some", you mean cheat or bother to create 47 new user accounts to win this poll, then I suspect you're right.

This was what it was always going to come down to though - can anything really compete with the rose-tinted nostalgic adoration that Blackadder and OFAH always receive? I hoped "Fawlty Towers" had a chance, but now its looking like there can be only one: "Help me Father Ted; you're my only hope..."

Sorry fellas, I've been away for the last 2 and a bit weeks. Can someone tell me what happened to The Office? When did it go out, and to what?

Cheers.

Gone for OFAH by the way.

Sorry fellas, I've been away for the last 2 and a bit weeks. Can someone tell me what happened to The Office? When did it go out, and to what?

Cheers.

Gone for OFAH by the way.

If you click on my username to view my profile, find where it says "Show All Stats" and go to where it says "Find all threads started by ..."

There'll be a round by round analysis of whats been going on

OK cheers.

Went out to Phoenix Nights. Shame, but I'm happy I lost to a quality prog, rather than one of the others.

This is tough. On the one hand, you have early OFAH, with Granddad, before Del became a daft Yuppie. Comedy genius. On the other other, you've got all those bloated and unfunny Christmas Specials which for me went some way to undermining that brilliant early stuff. IAP never had such a dip in form, although there were far fewer episodes made.

OFAH will win without my vote anyway, so I'm voting for Alan as a nod to a fantastic series and a brilliant comedy creation. Kiss my face.

‘I just want to be able to say: “I'm Alan Partridge. Join me tonight when my guests will be, I don't know, Chris Rea!”. Actually, he lives in the area... I could have had him over? “Alright Chris!”, “Hello Alan I didn't know you'd moved in”, “Yeah, just moved in, last week. I'm having a barbecue, fancy coming over?”, “I'd love to! Do you mind if I bring my guitar?”, “I'd rather you didn't, it's not that kind of area. Do you like Mini Kievs?”, “I love them! But my wife's vegetarian”, “Doesn't matter. She can have fish”, “No she won't eat that either”, “Oh forget it! You people...” Go on, Lynn. These people are starting to annoy me.’

But when BBC cutbacks and poor ratings took their toll in the early 90’s, this monumental programme was there to document Alan fighting for a new series, before eventually having a nervous breakdown and driving to Dublin bare-footed in his Lexus after a Toblerone binge-eating session.

Dundee!

I'm pleased for Partridge to have got this far, even if it will never make the Final. Shame. I'm not anti-OFAH by any means, but in Alan partridge, Steve Coogan created a character that somehow 'clicked'. And never more so than in the two brilliant series of 'I'm Alan Partridge'.

If anyone hasn't seen Partridge (and surely some of the masses who have voted for OFAH haven't) then do yourself a favour and watch some. It really is comedy genius.

As a sample, watch these two short clips. They follow each other but I couldn't find one clip with both in.

Alan & Michael discuss suicide before Michael tells Alan a story from his Army days about a monkey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_lbLfSxF6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc27qmMQpBQ

Back