• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Col Ewe 0-1 Southend United

We weren't very good, struggled to make an impact going forward but we are so much better defensively than we were a few weeks ago.

Mildy - 8 - Couple of absolutely blinding saves, very good handling and command of area.

Sankofa - 8 - Kept Mark Yeates quiet all game. Possibly most improved player of the season.

Dervitte - 7 - Solid for most of game but shaky at times.

Clarke - 9 - MOTM - Immense. Loves being the lead man at the back and has excelled because of it since Bazza went to LB.

Barrett - 8 - Would have probably been a seven but for the way he dealt with that idiot Col U fan who chucked the ball at him. As you would expect from Mr B he dealt with it with class and dignity when he could have thrown himself to the floor and made a fuss or laid into the stewards and fan like Clarkey did (which was right but could have sent the situation spiralling out of control).

Grant - 7 - Not as good as he could have been but coming back from injury that was understandable. Helped Osei deal with Yeates.

Macca - 7 - Battled away in middle and didn't lose his head when it would have been easy to.

Jeff - 6 - Needs to learn to keep possession better. Much better without the ball than with it. Improved in second half.

Moose - 8 - Not the game for him because of our lack of possession but what a run and composed finish and it meant so much to him. Not long until he moves into the middle. Southend legend in the making.

Laurent - 6 - Completely ineffective but understandable because short of fitness, needed someone to hold possession up top today.

Theo - 7 - Quiet but perfect ball for goal.

SUBS
Barney - 6 - No time to get involved. Short of form, fitness and a supply line.

Francis - 6 - Helped run down clock in short time he had.

Betsy - 6- No time.

Four matches, two goals conceded, (one dubious penalty and a sublime free-kick). Two loan signings in the transfer window (if my memory doesn't fail me), Robinson is pretty useful but Dervite is worth his weight in gold. I think that even Tilly will now understand that we can't fall back again on a central defense pairing of Barrett and Clarke. I suppose there a few on here that would say that it was a pity this wasn't understood a bit earlier?
Perhaps Tilly should refer to SZ a bit more frequently for advice!

Well 3 essentially defensive minded players in the midfield and a back 4 which above all else "defends". Paul Clarke made the comment that Barrett and Sankofa prefer to stay back rather than bomb forward which is perhaps a good tactic away from home. I would also agree with your point, for me pace away from home is key. You need an outlet, someone who can keep the back 4 occupied so they arent pushing up too much. Theo has been superb and would like to see him and Laurent maybe get a run together as it would encourage us to keep the ball on the deck more, which is our strength.

Thanks for this, CB- sounds like we made the most of our resources today!

what a day;

mildenhall; 8 best game in a sufc shirt

sankofa; 7 solid and kept yeates quiet
dervitte; 8 looked to pass it outta defence good to see
clarke ; 10 faultless
barrett ; 8 played well always 100%,extra point for the way the handled the freak so 9

grant;7 helped protect backline
macca;7 battled well getting better
christophe;7 won important tackles
moussa; 8 look creative and scored a gower like goal

robinson; 7 created goal and run socks off
laurent; 7 strecthed play with pace

barney; 6 not a lot to do as we defended like mad when he came on
betsy; _ not long enough on pitch for a fair rating
francis; 6 done well

tilly and brush 9 tactics spot on

ref 6 for 6 minutes

the blue voice; back two rows 9
in front 7
ferrari man and others who tried at the front 10

after final whistle everyone 10:support:

Last edited:
Awesome performance in the first half... patchy in the second, but cant fault the defence. As already stated, Peter Clarke was immense but to be fair they all were. I like Sankofa at full back. Very steady

For the record, thats the second game this season that I was very impressed with the little pale fella Perkins. Works his socks off and was the pick of both midfields today. He was let down by his teammates.

Looking forward to Tuesday already

Mildenhall - 9 - kept us in the game with some absolute world class saves

Sankofa - 8 - some good headers and tackles, probably one of his best performances in a southend shirt

Clarke - 9.9 - good performance, but extra credit for giving it large to the col u scum! shows passion so give him a new contract

Dervite - 8 - ran through players at times looks a great player with Clarke

Barrett - 9.9 - clearly hates the scum, so definitely worthy of a high rating

Mousse - 10 - MOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSE! Got himself into the hall of fame today, what a legend he is and he still has years and years left :) Going to be one of southends greats if we can hold onto him!

Macca - 9 - another passionate player, Seems as though his few half hearted performance are gone now he is back to fitness..

Grant -7 - Thought he was very good in the first half skinning a few players and making some good challenges, but 2nd half he seemed nackered! Good sub by tilly

JFC - 7 - Bit shaky actually, still very good but seems that he hasnt settled 100% yet. When one amazing performance comes from him, im sure plenty more will come!

Laurent - 8 - I said when he is back we will be going up the table, hopefully this is the day our season turns and we see the normal team we are used to! Got tired in the second half which is acceptable considering his injury

Robinson - 8.5 - great pace throughout the game, got an assist, if we can get this player in we can expect bigger and better things!

Mildenhall - 9 - kept us in the game with some absolute world class saves

Sankofa - 8 - some good headers and tackles, probably one of his best performances in a southend shirt

Clarke - 9.9 - good performance, but extra credit for giving it large to the col u scum! shows passion so give him a new contract

Dervite - 8 - ran through players at times looks a great player with Clarke

Barrett - 9.9 - clearly hates the scum, so definitely worthy of a high rating

Mousse - 10 - MOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSE! Got himself into the hall of fame today, what a legend he is and he still has years and years left :) Going to be one of southends greats if we can hold onto him!

Macca - 9 - another passionate player, Seems as though his few half hearted performance are gone now he is back to fitness..

Grant -7 - Thought he was very good in the first half skinning a few players and making some good challenges, but 2nd half he seemed nackered! Good sub by tilly

JFC - 7 - Bit shaky actually, still very good but seems that he hasnt settled 100% yet. When one amazing performance comes from him, im sure plenty more will come!

Laurent - 8 - I said when he is back we will be going up the table, hopefully this is the day our season turns and we see the normal team we are used to! Got tired in the second half which is acceptable considering his injury

Robinson - 8.5 - great pace throughout the game, got an assist, if we can get this player in we can expect bigger and better things!

Someones had a few!

MIldenhall 8 - normal stuff we've come to expect from Southend's no.1
Sankofa 8
Barrett 7.5
Clarke 9 - his best game in a Southend shirt.
Dervitte 7 - in comparison his worse game for the club
McCormack 6 - which is higher than the number of Southend shirts he found during the game
Christophe 6.5 - overrun in midfield
MOussa 7 - who put the ball in the Col Ewe net? Well Che Wilson and Drewe Broughton have so it really isn't that big a boast and neither are fit to lace Mooooooose's boots
Grant 8 - superb until he cramped up early
Robinson 7
Laurent 7

Barnard 7
Francis 6
Betsy 6

IMG_1132A-1.jpg

Nuff said!!!

:clap:

Colchester and why six minutes?????

Did worry a bit about this game and driving up the discussion was the typical 'what do you think the score will be?' ~ none of us in the car really thought we would win, especially after the Crewe debacle but again so fantastic to be proved wrong!

I thought we played really well with some outstanding performances especially in the second half when Colchester put us under considerable pressure. The referee did not help our cause with some extraordinary decisions and it is totally beyond me how he can add six minutes added time.

I had hoped the front two would be Robinson and Laurent and by default (Freedman's injury) that was the case which gave us both power and speed. They worked well together with the intelligence to move out wide and attack the wings when necessary. The run and cross for our goal by Robinson was superb and Laurent's ariel threat with simple knock downs and generally causing mayhem in their defence was great to see.

Mousse took the goal opportunity really well which belied the fact that this was his first goal for the club. Corners were much better but when the Mousse takes them we need to ensure the midfield fills the gap left by him not being there when the ball is cleared. I thought Grant and Christophe did well in this respect today.

Good to see Grant back and he did get stuck in along with Macca who was hampered by the fact the Colchester players knew about the broken nose and every tackle seemed to involve either an elbow or slap to the face. His booking was atrocious especially as it was their player in the wrong to start with.

The defence was excellent with Clarkies MOM display his best of the season and Barrett not that far behind him in terms of quality today. Dervitte and Sankofa also raised their game after the disappointment of performance against Crewe.

Mildy was excellent with a fantastic stop in the first half and it was good to see he took charge of the scramble in the goalmouth at the end.

The referee was at times extremely poor and if ever there was a 'homer' referee this man is it! How can he have booked our players for similar tackles that went unpunished when perpetated by Col U players. The extra six minutes may have been that he had a 'score draw' down on his pools coupon and he wanted to give Col U every opportunity to equalize, there can be no other logical reason for it!

My scores........

Mildy ~ 8
Sankofa ~ 7
Clarkie ~ 10
Dervitte ~ 7
Barrett ~ 9
Mousse ~ 8
Macca ~ 7
Christophe ~ 7
Grant ~ 7
Robinson ~ 8
Laurent ~ 8

Subs :
Barney ~ 7
Francis ~ 7
Betsy ~ 6 (apart from falling over the ball not long enough to do much)

We were helped 'a little' by Colchester's woeful finishing and we only had two real chances, Moussa's goal and the Christophe header which he should have scored. Freedman was missed for that little bit of intelligence he brings to the game but it will be interesting to see the line-up for the Scunthorpe game as it will be difficult to bring him straight back in.

Heroes all in my book and a big well done............

Parking..........

Considering this is a new stadium built on a new site surely Colchester could have thought about how they controlled the traffic after the game. I parked outside the ground in a pot holed muddy mess having paid for that privilage. There were loads of parking marshalls and police around before the game but they all seemed to disappear afterwards.

I found this absolutely pathetic having waited over one hour to move about two yards and eventually getting home two and a half hours after the game.

If/when we get our brand new stadium let's hope lessons can be learnt as to how NOT to organise parking ala Colchester.

Could have (but not quite) spoiled a great day out!

Well done blues.............

Saturday, 21st February 2009 - the date will go down in history as the day we broke the yellow away kit hoodoo and, more importantly, won the Essex bragging rights again with a dogged and determined 1-0, first of many victories at Cuckoo Farm!

With an early pick up on the coaches, we alighted at Chelmsford services at 20 past 12 to spend about 40 minutes watching the other lot of boys (and girls) in blue going over a suspect lorry with a fine toothcomb, only to find about 10 minutes before our departure time - the team coach turns up! Adam Barrett, Alan McCormack, Anthony Grant, Simon Francis, Lee Barnard, Kevin Betsy, Osei Sankofa all had a wander amongst the fans, presumably having driven up to meet the coach there for the remainder of the journey. Gave us a chance to wish them all well before piling onto our coaches to follow them up the A12. Arrival at the ground, you just knew that winding road in was going to cause problems on the way out (about an hour it took coming out), but the concourse looked nice and large, and I have to say I was very impressed with the loos when we got inside! The rest of this new ground though was a soulless mass of steel and breeze blocks - at least Layer Road had some character. Awful queues for drinks and food before the game - £3.10 a pint :thumbdown: . Seats seemed wider than normal, are there a lot of "fat bottomed" people in Colchester? Still, it made for more comfortable viewing - and boy, weren't we close to the pitch?!

I'd had a bit of insider information the previous day so knew that Dougie was injured and Francis Laurent would be starting, and that Anthony Grant would be replacing Franno - this was to deal with that little firebrand Mark Yeates, and fair play, to Granty, he knew his role! So the team was Mildenhall, Sankofa, Dervite, Clarke, Barrett, Grant, McCormack, Christophe, Moussa, Robinson and Laurent with Joyce, Betsy, Barnard, Francis and Scannell on the bench.

The Trust walkers had obviously presented the match ball at the end of their Blues to Us sponsored walk although I must have still been in the drinks queue - well done to the lads!

Match got underway with the Blues in their yellow away kit attacking into the sun - obviously a ploy by Colchester to make us do this, to "inconvenience" us. Adam Barrett had the ball in the net after only about 5 minutes, following well worked movement by Peter Clarke directly onto his head, but ruled out for offside. This kind of gave us an indication of what was going to happen because just on a quarter of an hour, Clarke released a long pass out to Theo on the right wing who drove a fantastic cross into the box for young Franck Moussa to connect with and fire home his first ever senior professional goal for the Club. Cue ecstatic responses from the Southend fans, Moussa standing wanting to hear the crowd chanting his name in the usual fashion and the rest of the team mobbing him! Great moment, and a really well taken goal - couldn't have picked a better occasion on which to get that 1st goal.

The game settled down into one of midfield domination, with action a'plenty. Adam Barrett, attempting to take a throw in from in front of the Colchester fans in the stand to our right suddenly found a match ball launched at him from the crowd - why did they employ that stupid system of having balls all over the place? Plain daft I thought. The Ewes' defender Maybury clearly raised his hand and made contact with Alan McCormack's head and what should have been a definate red was only a yellow and Macca got booked too strangely despite no retaliation - well, not in a Macca way anyway. Clarkey also got involved and you kind of thought the afternoon was going to be another red card fest reminiscent of a game in the not too distant past at Layer Road.

First half played out with a clear game plan for the Blues of throwing accurate long passes out to Theo or Laurent to run at the full backs with and there were some good runs made, also from McCormack but unfortunately no addition to the goals for count, despite Jeff heading over from close range. Macca took a couple more knocks to that already sensitive nose during the first half and I half wondered if he'd make an appearance a la Matt Harrold in the 2nd, knew he wouldn't want to miss out on playing!

Izzet, Baldwin, Yeates and Tierney tested Mildenhall in the Southend goal, but he was up to anything and looked totally commanding and more than able to deal with anything they threw at him. The Ewes seemed to have supplied the officials with a special rule book in which Section 876 rule 94 sub section c (iii) clearly states that "any Colchester player judged to have handled the ball will be allowed to get away with it for all officials must turn a blind eye in such circumstances" - 5 (I think) handballs by them? :stunned:

Half time entertainment with the mascots' race for Little Havens - Sammy and Elvis were their usual selves, pandemonium ensued. The dancing girls came on and did a poor imitation of our very own Bluebelles (I'm sure the routine was the same?!), before starting the 2nd half.

Similar circumstances to the 1st half really, same tactics with Theo and Laurent, with Laurent now looking a little jaded having only just returned from injury and having taken a knock in the reserves game during the week, Lee Barnard went through a lengthy warm up. Macca, Jeff and Granty were enduring the most physical of battle in the middle of the park, Clarke and Dervite were mopping up almost everything that came through midfield, and Mildenhall was up to anything that reached him. The Ewes brought on Steven Gillespie (who?!) just after the hour to try and cause more threat, but we still stood firm. McCormack went on a glorious run from the halfway line putting a cross over which Laurent just failed to connect with and which would have made a fantastic 2nd goal. Barney came on for Laurent just a little later, and you could see the Essex boy was ready to play his part, he might be made of porcelain, but you can't doubt his attitude in the tackle!

Frustrations boiling over saw Macca (and Laurent before he went off) getting another knock to his face, and the start of a quite unbelievable spell of refereeing when decisions were being given against us at every opportunity - fouls, free kicks, corners, throw ins and Southend names going into the ref's book - you just never knew what he was going to do next. Simon Hackney came on for the Ewes to try and break things down in the last 10 minutes or so, but the Blues still managed, despite the ref's best efforts to contain things. Franno came on for Anthony Grant in the last 5 official minutes, whose poor body had been battered and bruised and had run his legs off containing Yeates successfully, finally the Ewes brought on Gobbern for the poisonous peroxide Perkins and Betsy came on for us for Theo. Each substituted Blues' player saluted the fans and got a standing ovation. Still time for Franno to get in a couple of decent attacking runs down the side against an exhausted Yeates but no end product.

Counting down the minutes, the 4th official suddenly produced a board that said 6 minutes time added on. We all looked at each other in disbelief - 3 minutes tops we'd expected, but still, backs to the wall stuff and we managed to hold on for that all important win despite everything the Ewes threw at us. Final whistle - explosion of noise on the Southend terrace, the players came over and joined the fans, boy, were they happy! Some naughty behaviour from Barrett, Clarkey, Macca and Grant towards the Colchester fans but we loved them all the more for it. Singing on the terraces with the players and management continued with every player coming over to salute the fans - this was a real "united" performance. Top marks all round - tactics spot on and the right result at the end of the day, despite the officials' best efforts to thwart us.

Ratings - Mildenhall - 8; Sankofa - 8; Dervite - 7; Clarke - 9; Barrett - 8; Grant - 7; McCormack - 8; Christophe - 7; Moussa - 9; Robinson - 8; Laurent - 7. Subs: Barnard (for Laurent) - 7; Francis (for Grant) - 7; Betsy (for Robinson) - 7.

Officials - comical rather than dire, 1st half better than 2nd 4/10

TBV - top marks 10/10 - bloody brilliant :support:

Last edited:
Fantastic report of a fantastic day,OBL.
PS Did you know that an anagram of "Colchester United" is ELECTRIC SOUTHEND.
Says it all!

Just seen Baldwin's miss on The Championship- that has to be one of the misses of this century! The Moooooooooooooosse's finish, by contrast, was sublime- good to see you lot there behind the goal. Well played all around!

Back