• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Col Ewe 0-1 Southend United

One of those great days in football... the sun shining, our first visit to a new ground, a full away allocation, plenty of needle and lots of reasons to laugh at your neighbours who couldn't even fill their tiny stadium on a day like today when Southend were in town having failed to win away for 12 matches.

From the kick-off, the day just got better and better with excellent banter between the fans and both teams more than up for the fight.

A well worked goal, tucked away well by Moussa, gave Southend a deserved lead. The Blue Voice responded in kind and Colchester did everything they could to get back into the game.

In truth, we rode our luck at times with Col U guilty of wasting a couple of chances and then one fantastic first half save from Mildenhall.

A few 'derby moments' in the first half... Adam Barrett had an altercation with a Col U fan as the Ewe's multi-ball policy caused him some problems. Adam did the professional thing in the end and shook the guy's hand, but it did inject a bit more life into the crowd. Then Macca and a Col U player were both booked after taking a dislike to each other while it really looked like their player should've walked for a punch.

Some good performances all round and a classic away performance. Even while Colchester were guilty of wasting some chances, we could easily have had a second also when Christophe headed high and wide at the back post. All in all, I think the result was a fair one.

No time at the moment for player ratings but key men were:

Mildenhall - Excellent handling all game. Commanding his box, catching everything and pulling off a crucial save.

Laurent - More lively than in his few sub appearance, causing continual problems for the Ewes.

Macca - All action. Took at least three blows to his broken hooter!

Clarke - MOTM. At the heart of everything, heading, blocking, and releasing the ball forward.

Moussa - Oozed class.

Tactically, I think ST made a pig's ear of it against Crewe, but he got it spot on today. Great team selection and good substitutions.

If anyone would like to do a match report of about 4, quite long paragraphs, and match ratings with reasons it would be much appreciated and I can use it for my blog, PM me it or post it on here for green, thanks!

Mildenhall -7
Sankofa -7
dervite - 8
Clarke - 9
Barrett - 8
Grant - 7
Christophe -6
McCormack - 7
Moussa - 10 (just for scoring against scum)
Robinson - 8
laurent - 7

One of those great days in football... the sun shining, our first visit to a new ground, a full away allocation, plenty of needle and lots of reasons to laugh at your neighbours who couldn't even fill their tiny stadium on a day like today when Southend were in town having failed to win away for 12 matches.

From the kick-off, the day just got better and better with excellent banter between the fans and both teams more than up for the fight.

A well worked goal, tucked away well by Moussa, gave Southend a deserved lead. The Blue Voice responded in kind and Colchester did everything they could to get back into the game.

In truth, we rode our luck at times with Col U guilty of wasting a couple of chances and then one fantastic first half save from Mildenhall.

A few 'derby moments' in the first half... Adam Barrett had an altercation with a Col U fan as the Ewe's multi-ball policy caused him some problems. Adam did the professional thing in the end and shook the guy's hand, but it did inject a bit more life into the crowd. Then Macca and a Col U player were both booked after taking a dislike to each other while it really looked like their player should've walked for a punch.

Some good performances all round and a classic away performance. Even while Colchester were guilty of wasting some chances, we could easily have had a second also when Christophe headed high and wide at the back post. All in all, I think the result was a fair one.

No time at the moment for player ratings but key men were:

Mildenhall - Excellent handling all game. Commanding his box, catching everything and pulling off a crucial save.

Laurent - More lively than in his few sub appearance, causing continual problems for the Ewes.

Macca - All action. Took at least three blows to his broken hooter!

Clarke - MOTM. At the heart of everything, heading, blocking, and releasing the ball forward.

Moussa - Oozed class.

Tactically, I think ST made a pig's ear of it against Crewe, but he got it spot on today. Great team selection and good substitutions.

Nice one, Hank- quick off the mark & a good flavour of the game for us out in the hinterlands:)

Mildy 7
San 6
Clarke 8.5
Derv 8
Barratt 9
Mousse 8
Mac 8.5 (just for wind up value)
Grant 6
JFC 7
Laurent 7.5
Robbo 8

Busses to and from ground - 0.5

I got back to my house about 20 mions earlier than i would from RH!

Was an excellent occassion (not every day you get to meet 2 'Zoners too) and fair play to Tilly, got it spot on today.

Like SBH says, we rode our luck at times and to be fair, were probably 2nd best in terms of chances, but that is how football goes sometimes. They had numerous chances first half, including forcing Mildenhall into a superb 1 handed save and also conspiring to miss an open goal from 3 yards.

Great to see the spirit in the lads at the end considering how down the whole Tuesday occassion was.

Special mention for Clarke who was immense - I still hope he signs on for next season to form a new defensive partnership with someone like Dervitte.

Oh, and never mind the buses, first time ever - the luxury of walking home from football! Lovely!

Well being in the "home" stand today was a bit weird. Had to go in W2 and it was like being surrounded by a bunch of mutants. I've never really taken the taunting seriously, always thought it was light hearted banter but today there were some very strange people in there.

Got to be the most pathetic home support i've seen, just about managed to not get chucked out when we scored, got some glares from a couple of stewards

Fantastic result. Credit to Tilly and Brush for the tactics today after tuesdays shambles, although does beg the question why we havent tried that before away from home.

Fantastic result. Credit to Tilly and Brush for the tactics today after tuesdays shambles, although does beg the question why we havent tried that before away from home.
This is intriguing, CB- what was different about the tactics today? Was it related to having two pacy forwards from the start? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Dougie fan, but just interested to hear what was the key to our success against our country cousins, being that I'm stuck out here in the 'wild West'...

Well being in the "home" stand today was a bit weird. Had to go in W2 and it was like being surrounded by a bunch of mutants. I've never really taken the taunting seriously, always thought it was light hearted banter but today there were some very strange people in there.

Got to be the most pathetic home support i've seen, just about managed to not get chucked out when we scored, got some glares from a couple of stewards

You were surrounded by a bunch of mutants. Inbred mutants.

The key to the performance today was the defence - I completely agree that Clarke was MOM - and the midfield contributed to this with Christophe, Macca and Moussa giving immense performances. We looked very solid, rarely in trouble and hit them on the break a number of times. They did pass the ball well and would be a real threat if they had a decent striker. I would have liked us to keep the ball a bit better and for the midfield to notice the really good positions that Laurent gets into. And I wish Barrett, Clarke and Grant hadn't started baiting the Col Ewe fans - we don't need that. Still, that's being picky - a really good away performance and we outsang them big time!

This is intriguing, CB- what was different about the tactics today? Was it related to having two pacy forwards from the start? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Dougie fan, but just interested to hear what was the key to our success against our country cousins, being that I'm stuck out here in the 'wild West'...

Well 3 essentially defensive minded players in the midfield and a back 4 which above all else "defends". Paul Clarke made the comment that Barrett and Sankofa prefer to stay back rather than bomb forward which is perhaps a good tactic away from home. I would also agree with your point, for me pace away from home is key. You need an outlet, someone who can keep the back 4 occupied so they arent pushing up too much. Theo has been superb and would like to see him and Laurent maybe get a run together as it would encourage us to keep the ball on the deck more, which is our strength.

What made it for me was the reaction of the players at the end. Not just Adam, but lots of them with a special mention to MOTM Clarkie who looked as though he was going to burst with pride at the end.

Top stuff.

I was in there as well, the mutants were gutted,shame.
Must say our supporters were very loud,a credit to all of you,brillant.

My thoughts:

Far from a great game football wise, but a typical derby game. There supprt was typified by the facrt that for the Essex derby they couldn't sell out. Nothing short of Pathetic!

Gate of just 8,651 with 1800 Blues fans officially there in the away end, with patches of Blues fans in the other three sides. Still Ipswich were only down the road in London, so pretty understandable really!

First action of note was Adam Barrett heading the ball home in the fifth minute, but the flag was raised for offside before the ball hit the back of the net, with James Walker stranded in no-mans land.

With seven minutes gone we had a throw on the left, with Col U using a rotating ball system, Barrett had the ball from the ball-boy, when a moron at the side of the pitch runs down the the barrier and hurled the original at his face from barely two yards. His aim was about as good as Pat Baldwin's and luckily the ball "only" cannoned into Sir Adam's chest. The incident is almost disgracfully reported on their website in the following manner:

"seven minutes were on the clock when Barrett had the ball knocked out of his hands by a second ball thrown from the sidelines. The Shrimpers captain was not happy with it and turned to face E8, who made their opinions known."

No condemnation of the event (Typical from the cowardly ba$ tards!), and no action taken by the stewards in the ground who a. made no attempt to stop the individual with a mental age not old enough to become a pupil of a reception class, apologies to all children of that age group! So you're damn right Barrett "was not happy with it" he's doing what he is paid for nothing else nothing less, and laws are in place for the protection of the players in all grounds which were shamefully overlooked completely!

Still that got the crowd up statting the obvious chant of "Your grounds too big for you!" and happy day's when seven minutes later with only piece of decissive cutting football from either team a through ball from Peter Clarke was chased down in the right channel by Theo Robinson, whose knee high cross was calmly dispatched by Spudd Moussa for his first senior goal in English football.

Cue wonderful scenes in our end matched by the celebrations on the pitch and the tone was then set for us to dig deep and start battling for nearly every ball in one of our more workman like performances away from the Hall this season.

A couple of tame efforts and corners were dealt with until the 31st minute, when from another home side corner a quality Spudd on was met on the half volley by Pat "spoon boots" Baldwin, popping up unmarked on the far post to blast the ball into the stands to our great relief and amusement.

A few minutes later and the ball dropped kindly for Mark Yeates to power an effort into the lower right hand corner of the goal, which was dealt with by Steve Milenhall diving full stretch to his left to tip around the post. There ended the last meaning ful effort on goal by either team.

A Blues corner right on the stroke of half time was headed unconvincingly over the bar by Francis Laurent.

The second half started with the home side stareting quicker and forcing a series of corners which Blues struggled to get away. Blues were sitting deeper and working on the break and at times if final balls had been played with a bit more confidence, walker may have been tested more than he was.

65 minutes saw the first sub of the game with Vernon being replaced by Gillespie. all subs were subsequently bought on by both managers, with the home side continuing to push and us soaking up their pressure and look9ing to get away on the break. The ref played 6 minutes of added time and despite a couple of balls bobbling around the box and some needless free kicks being conceded we held firm for a change and took the three points home.

Celebrations on and off the pitch were what you would have expected after the game and the Blues werre cheered off. Not before Grant, Sir Adam and Macca,whilst acknowledging our fans, at last responded to the banter from the home fans, who as usual when losing in the derby game, started making for the exits with over fifteen minutes left to play. saw Grant giving the "easy,easy" clap, Barrett pointedly showing them his badge and Macca, then those that were left had the cheek to start singing "your support is effing ****" when they can't muster enough to fill their allocation at the Hall year after year, just pointed to the away end, which was now just a sea of Blue and yellow!

Marvellous day, hard fought victory earnt and four points off of them in the season. Happy days, now just to over take them in the league!

I'm not going to give individual scores for once, I just feel today's win was a real team effort, by all involved on and off the pitch, so I'd just like to thank the players and management for putting one over the muppets up the road and making the weekend one of those one's you just want to look back on with pride!

Last edited:
We weren't very good, struggled to make an impact going forward but we are so much better defensively than we were a few weeks ago.

Mildy - 8 - Couple of absolutely blinding saves, very good handling and command of area.

Sankofa - 8 - Kept Mark Yeates quiet all game. Possibly most improved player of the season.

Dervitte - 7 - Solid for most of game but shaky at times.

Clarke - 9 - MOTM - Immense. Loves being the lead man at the back and has excelled because of it since Bazza went to LB.

Barrett - 8 - Would have probably been a seven but for the way he dealt with that idiot Col U fan who chucked the ball at him. As you would expect from Mr B he dealt with it with class and dignity when he could have thrown himself to the floor and made a fuss or laid into the stewards and fan like Clarkey did (which was right but could have sent the situation spiralling out of control).

Grant - 7 - Not as good as he could have been but coming back from injury that was understandable. Helped Osei deal with Yeates.

Macca - 7 - Battled away in middle and didn't lose his head when it would have been easy to.

Jeff - 6 - Needs to learn to keep possession better. Much better without the ball than with it. Improved in second half.

Moose - 8 - Not the game for him because of our lack of possession but what a run and composed finish and it meant so much to him. Not long until he moves into the middle. Southend legend in the making.

Laurent - 6 - Completely ineffective but understandable because short of fitness, needed someone to hold possession up top today.

Theo - 7 - Quiet but perfect ball for goal.

SUBS
Barney - 6 - No time to get involved. Short of form, fitness and a supply line.

Francis - 6 - Helped run down clock in short time he had.

Betsy - 6- No time.

Sankofa - 8 - Kept Mark Yeates quiet all game. Possibly most improved player of the season.
Totally agree. I thought Osei had a excellent game today & has steadily improved over his longer run in the team. He won virtually all the one on one challenges that he had to make with very nicely timed tackles & he also put in a few last ditch clearances when we were under pressure.

Keep it going Osei.

Back