• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Theo to Swindon

It's all about opinions mate but I'd have to disagree, yes goalscorers don't grow on trees but we do have goalscorers at this club and good ones at that. We don't need someone massively prolific (not that Theo was anyway) as if they can get a good pre-season behind them and stay fit then Barney and Dougie are more than capable of somewhere between 15 and 20 each in this league throughout the course of a season. I was encouraged by the fact Barney managed to stay fit for the remaining couple of months which is a start, and Freedman has never been particularly injury-plagued during the rest of his career so hopefully with some rest and a proper pre-season behind him he can get that thigh problem 100% sorted. They showed what a great partnership they could be together in those 4 or 5 games before Dougie tore his thigh against Orient and if they can get back to that then that would be my first-choice pairing anyway. Aside from that we have the likes of Laurent and Revell who are good supporting acts so to splash up to £275k on Theo when other positions are in far greater need of strengthening would be foolish in my opinion. Am I alone in my view of also not enjoying watching the style of play we adopted when Theo joined anywhere near as much as pre-Robinson?

I understand why you mention the likes of Walker (plus Paynter/Foran etc too IMO) but I don't think that's a very fair comparison in terms of outlay as there's no way any of them were worth their substantial fees. If the money spent on them was considered good value for money then Robinson would indeed be worth up to £275k. Fact is they weren't, far from it. I'd expect a better player than Theo to come in if we'd paid that much and I think there will be others on here who think the same.

best post ever

i would think that the £275k being quoted is what they are looking for including clauses for future promotion, apperances and number of goals scored etc, not a starting figure, which would be ridiculous.

Eastwood was often criticised for being greedy but he still managed to bang em in

can't agree with that. Just look at England who are transformed largely due to building their attacks through Heskey, and he hasn't had any pace for a couple of years.

After that can we look at Spain and Argentina, arguably the two best national sides in the world at the moment? Maybe Barca, the best club team by a mile too. ;)

I think that it's as much a lack of alternatives as anything else that's keeping Heskey in our side at the moment. If we had a Villa, Messi or Eto'o I'd drop him in an instant. Thankfully club managers have a greater say in the type of player at their disposal.

Am I the only one who's not that bothered either way?

Yes Theo's pace caused problems and his goalscoring record wasn't bad but his style of play often led to us going long-ball and he's also the GREEDIEST player I've ever seen in a Southend shirt. If we sign him fair enough but if we don't then I'm still happy as long as we sign a half-decent goalscorer who is going to stay FIT for most or all of the forthcoming season.

Dont worry you are not alone

I've heard the fee is between £100K - £150K including clauses and add ons etc. Now if thats the case and he ends up at Swindon or Brighton I'd be fuming.

What our team lacked before Xmas as an attacking side was pace. Barnard, Laurent, Freedman and Revell aren't quick so we miss out on an attacking option. With a pacy forward, like Wayne Gray when he first arrived, we have the option of the ball over the top, or the ball into the channels. With the current list of strikers, Walker a side, we don't have that option.

Theo has a 1 in 3 record, and formed a good partnership with Barnard. They may not have linked up brilliant, and both tended to shoot rather than pass, but they both scored goals in that period.

Obviously if the fee gets up to £275K through various clauses etc thats too much for us, but that would include things like promotions, goals scored etc etc. IF we was to get promoted and have to pay £75K of that for example, we'd be able to afford that because of the money the Championship would generate for us.

Going back to the pace issue, it worked with Wayne Gray, and it did to a certain extent with James Walker. Now, Theo is a better player than both of them put together, and my front pairing with everyone fit would be Barney and Theo.

RM you need to make this happen. I'm not saying bankrupt the Club to bring in a youngster, but as someone has mentioned goalscorers don't grow on trees. Eastwood was the first player to hit 20 goals a season with us for god knows how many years. I bet with only had a handful of players to achieve that feat but Theo has the potential to do that. If he carried his 1 in 3 form into next season over a full season he'd have 15 league goals and that is without him developing how he should do.

More importantly than that, when our strikers where going down like flys, Theo was fit as a fiddle.

Isn't that the same paper that said Mildy was on the verge of signing for Swindon?

This annoys me so much when you look at the money we have waisted look back at january 2008 150000 on Alex Revell Theo is twice the player he is and we could get him for a similar fee, not only that we will make money on Theo. Alex Rev we will lose all the money we spent on him. Such a shame WHAT OUT CLUB HAS COME TO.. RELEGATION THIS YEAR IMO

We have a winner!
What has our club come to... on the one hand a sorry mess - if you started supporting them around 2005 or 2006 - but on the other hand the last 4 seasons have been amongst the highest league places in our 103 year history.

I look forward to seeing Theo grace the County Ground pitch if the rumours are true… Billy Paynter by the way was great great for us last season so cheers for that, set up most of Cox’s goals..​

Blah Blah Blah​

Billy Paynter Southend to Swindon
Southend finish 8th
Swindon finish 15th
Your cheers are gratefully accepted.

Last edited:
Gargh! Revell is a very good player at this level. Massive work rate and commitment and will chip in with 8-10 a season at least. A good foil for a poacher.

Said it time and again, my current SUFC side would be Revell + A.N.Other starting up top every time.

Not really sure what you see in Revell.

Slow as it comes, the turning circle of a ship, a woeful goals record and can only play the ball sideways. I dont even think he is good in the air.

As a bloke yes, as a hard worker yes but as a leage one striker a big fat no from me. Theo is a constant menance and his pace will always get him goals as he can finish. Revell misses too many chances to ever be prolfic.

If we don't sign Robinson i'm gonna refuse to pay my season card off, leave Southend-on-sea and England altogether and bemoan SUFC all my life.

What a disgrace.

I might start supporting Col Ewe or Brighton they seem to spending lots of money so they must be good!

I might start supporting Col Ewe or Brighton they seem to spending lots of money so they must be good!

I too am beginning to doubt the wisdom in choosing to support my home town club. That kind of thinking is so 20th century.
To move with the times I am also looking around for a wealthy successful club to support. I've passed through Manchester on a number of occasions so in a way I think I could claim a link with a team based in that area, not sure which one yet though

It's all about opinions mate but I'd have to disagree, yes goalscorers don't grow on trees but we do have goalscorers at this club and good ones at that. We don't need someone massively prolific (not that Theo was anyway) as if they can get a good pre-season behind them and stay fit then Barney and Dougie are more than capable of somewhere between 15 and 20 each in this league throughout the course of a season. I was encouraged by the fact Barney managed to stay fit for the remaining couple of months which is a start, and Freedman has never been particularly injury-plagued during the rest of his career so hopefully with some rest and a proper pre-season behind him he can get that thigh problem 100% sorted. They showed what a great partnership they could be together in those 4 or 5 games before Dougie tore his thigh against Orient and if they can get back to that then that would be my first-choice pairing anyway. Aside from that we have the likes of Laurent and Revell who are good supporting acts so to splash up to £275k on Theo when other positions are in far greater need of strengthening would be foolish in my opinion. Am I alone in my view of also not enjoying watching the style of play we adopted when Theo joined anywhere near as much as pre-Robinson?

I understand why you mention the likes of Walker (plus Paynter/Foran etc too IMO) but I don't think that's a very fair comparison in terms of outlay as there's no way any of them were worth their substantial fees. If the money spent on them was considered good value for money then Robinson would indeed be worth up to £275k. Fact is they weren't, far from it. I'd expect a better player than Theo to come in if we'd paid that much and I think there will be others on here who think the same.

Fully agree mate. Said this on this board many a time that our football with Theo in the side was no where near as good as in previous campaigns. It was effective for the situation we were in at the time having no one in midfield that was creative but I'm hoping that will be addressed this summer ahead of another striker!

Imo we should not worry about spending money on theo. We have risked money on lots of strikers and this is one we have actually seen play and score plenty of goals...

Back