• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Theo to Swindon

Imo we should not worry about spending money on theo. We have risked money on lots of strikers and this is one we have actually seen play and score plenty of goals...

You are dead right to say we know what we would be getting with Theo and at the moment, other than newspaper rumours, we don't know who is going to sign him.
But the reality seems to be that our cash is limited compared to a number of clubs in our league and, given the current make-up of our squad in terms of players under contract, ie, GK 2, Defenders 4, Midfielders 7 and Forwards 5 (plus Calver), then Defenders are going to be the priority.

Didn't anyone notice when Theo was going past a defender it was drawing other defenders out of position leaving holes for Barnard to exploit ?

I might start supporting Col Ewe or Brighton they seem to spending lots of money so they must be good!

well CUFC need a few more supporters S/T sales reported in there local paper on the 08/06/09 in the gazette was presently standing at a massive 1300 enjoy your new club

Eastwood was the first player to hit 20 goals a season with us for god knows how many years.

Well since the season before when Constantine did it!

Okay fair enough I forgot about him. Before Constantine who was our 20 goal a season man?

Infact how many players have scored 20 goals a season for us apart from Freddy Eastwood and Leon Constantine?

You are dead right to say we know what we would be getting with Theo and at the moment, other than newspaper rumours, we don't know who is going to sign him.
But the reality seems to be that our cash is limited compared to a number of clubs in our league and, given the current make-up of our squad in terms of players under contract, ie, GK 2, Defenders 4, Midfielders 7 and Forwards 5 (plus Calver), then Defenders are going to be the priority.

Don't get me wrong, other areas are in need of players more than "another" forward but I'd hate to think he have missed out on Theo because we are chasing a centre half. Ideally we'd have bids in for plenty of players at the moment.

I don't think there is much money about at present but we did offer a six-figure fee for Mike Williamson from Wycombe before we went to Watford plus we bid for Bradley Johnson, Liam Dickinson, Chris Dickson and Matt Ritchie in the January transfer window so I would imagine there is some money there.

I'd be delighted if we signed Theo and didn't pay a transfer fee for anyone else because there is so much talent available on free transfers at the moment so Tilly can wheel and deal this summer on a shoe string budget, like he has done most seasons.

Okay fair enough I forgot about him. Before Constantine who was our 20 goal a season man?

Infact how many players have scored 20 goals a season for us apart from Freddy Eastwood and Leon Constantine?

I'm pretty sure Richard Cadette scored 20 plus in two seasons from '85-'87 & that David Crown did the same in the '89-'90 season...

I'm pretty sure Richard Cadette scored 20 plus in two seasons from '85-'87 & that David Crown did the same in the '89-'90 season...

Billy Best ..... Four seasons in a row. His first full season (68-69) he got over 30 and Gary Moore also got into the 20s in the same season.

Last player before Constantine to score 20 well 19 really season 1999 2000 Martin Carruthers.

I too am beginning to doubt the wisdom in choosing to support my home town club. That kind of thinking is so 20th century.
To move with the times I am also looking around for a wealthy successful club to support. I've passed through Manchester on a number of occasions so in a way I think I could claim a link with a team based in that area, not sure which one yet though

I know exactly where you're coming from. Over the last ten years I have supported Chelsea and Manchester United (often at the same time, which was tricky when they played each other - normally went for a draw). For the odd season, Arsenal were by far and away my favourite team, but they seem a bit reluctant to splash the dosh nowadays.

However, I can see Man City becoming my team this season. I sort of supported them last year but, phew, what a relief, glad I didn't support them 'full on'. (Although I did buy their home and away shirts). Any idea if they've got new shirts this season? I think I can still squeeze into them!

In other news that matters to me. Theo Robinson looks like he is about to join Swindon for a reputed £100,000. It annoys me , not the player but the way our club is run these days. We keep being given ****-and-bull stories about transfer money being used. We were told that the money received for selling Bailey to Charlton (£750,000) would be used to spend on players. We were told the same story with Freddy Eastwood's and Jamal Campbell Ryce's departures for £1.5million and £250,000 along with an add on clause in the Eastwood deal. We haven't seen any of this money put to good use. We were greeted with Matt Harrold , Billy Paynter , Lee Bradbury and Wayne Gray. Gray was the only decent player the other were failures and shipped off for around 10% of their transfer deals.

Ron Martin has said that he is against Agent money and this could be were we are going wrong, he's possibly trying to take the agent out of the deal with the consequences being the deal cut off unless a substantial deal is agreed. Losing Theo Robinson to Swindon is another kick-in the teeth. If players are choosing Swindon & Brighton over Southend then we should be worrying. We're leaving it too late to buy players, but it's okay. We're laying a new pitch.

From another website that i posted on.

Fully agree mate. Said this on this board many a time that our football with Theo in the side was no where near as good as in previous campaigns. It was effective for the situation we were in at the time having no one in midfield that was creative but I'm hoping that will be addressed this summer ahead of another striker!

Nice to know I'm not alone in my views.

:)

I cannot believe it! If he signs for Swindon that is a complete and utter joke, once again Ron spouting us full of bollocks on how we are going to buy players and have a big war chest!

Eastwood was often criticised for being greedy but he still managed to bang em in

Difference is mate Eastwood was one of the finest finishers we've ever had. I don't mind a striker being greedy if he's going to bang in 25 a season. Robinson's finishing isn't anywhere near as good as Freddy's was.

I cannot believe it! If he signs for Swindon that is a complete and utter joke, once again Ron spouting us full of bollocks on how we are going to buy players and have a big war chest!

sssssh now.

Difference is mate Eastwood was one of the finest finishers we've ever had. I don't mind a striker being greedy if he's going to bang in 25 a season. Robinson's finishing isn't anywhere near as good as Freddy's was.

Though I agree AD, I think Freddy had finer services played to his feet and head compared to the players we currently have to day

Though I agree AD, I think Freddy had finer services played to his feet and head compared to the players we currently have to day

Yes I'd agree with that and we need a creative midfielder desperately but having still seen Theo miss some really excellent chances with the ball at his feet during his time here in no way can I say his finishing is anywhere close to Freddy's standard.

In other news that matters to me. Theo Robinson looks like he is about to join Swindon for a reputed £100,000. It annoys me , not the player but the way our club is run these days. We keep being given ****-and-bull stories about transfer money being used. We were told that the money received for selling Bailey to Charlton (£750,000) would be used to spend on players. We were told the same story with Freddy Eastwood's and Jamal Campbell Ryce's departures for £1.5million and £250,000 along with an add on clause in the Eastwood deal. We haven't seen any of this money put to good use. We were greeted with Matt Harrold , Billy Paynter , Lee Bradbury and Wayne Gray. Gray was the only decent player the other were failures and shipped off for around 10% of their transfer deals.

Ron Martin has said that he is against Agent money and this could be were we are going wrong, he's possibly trying to take the agent out of the deal with the consequences being the deal cut off unless a substantial deal is agreed. Losing Theo Robinson to Swindon is another kick-in the teeth. If players are choosing Swindon & Brighton over Southend then we should be worrying. We're leaving it too late to buy players, but it's okay. We're laying a new pitch.

By the way, we will never recieve £750K for Bailey. I believe £750K was the amount we'd get in total if all the clauses came in, which had things like promotion to the Premiership in there.

How was Lee Bradbury a failure? He won League One with us, playing a cruical role in the side. As he did, when fit, in the Championship.

Wayne Gray was signed before Eastwood, Bailey and JCR.

Back