• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

100% - Are we giving it?

Prodigal Son

Manager
So I drove home last night thinking why do I bother having lost to the mighty Cheltenham,Brighton and Orient in consecutive home games. Now we've been here before, so I won't be defecting to support Manchester City,but the question I always ask myself is are the players giving it 100% effort?

That's all I've ever asked of a Southend team, and will even accept players not up to it if they are committed (eg- Roy Mcdonough).

For me personally it was alot of hassle to get there last night,London to Southend via Bas Vegas (struggled to escape the Bas city limits), I'm back at work having got up at 6am. I do alright, nice salary and time to spend on SZ but those less fortunate give it their all + away games too. Do the players ever think about that? None of them have crap cars,will have had a nice night's sleep,got a day off and tomorrow will get paid for playing football.Are they hurting from last night? I think not and are probably just getting up for breakfast to choose a new four wheel drive we are paying for.

So are they giving it 100% and are they fit to wear the shirt?

Apolgies to Lee Sawyer, I thought you gave it 100% and more.

I doubt even that would be enough. On MOTD last weekend, Phil Brown was saying that the Hull players need to give 1,000,000% if they're to survive in the Premier League. So if we're to do well in this league, we must have to give at least 1,000%

Im waiting to Chairman Mao to pipe up about his 'impossible to give more than 100%' arguement..

Apart from Barrett and last nights Barnard, I dont think we are. When Macca comes back I think we will settle.

Barnard is always playing at 100% even when his not fully fit. I haven't seen a striker get through more work than he does.

Hopefully against Carlisle we will have Freedman up there to help out.

I think the players are giving 100% there isn't too many times during the Tilly era when you can say we didn't give 100%

So I drove home last night thinking why do I bother having lost to the mighty Cheltenham,Brighton and Orient in consecutive home games. Now we've been here before, so I won't be defecting to support Manchester City,but the question I always ask myself is are the players giving it 100% effort?

That's all I've ever asked of a Southend team, and will even accept players not up to it if they are committed (eg- Roy Mcdonough).

For me personally it was alot of hassle to get there last night,London to Southend via Bas Vegas (struggled to escape the Bas city limits), I'm back at work having got up at 6am. I do alright, nice salary and time to spend on SZ but those less fortunate give it their all + away games too. Do the players ever think about that? None of them have crap cars,will have had a nice night's sleep,got a day off and tomorrow will get paid for playing football.Are they hurting from last night? I think not and are probably just getting up for breakfast to choose a new four wheel drive we are paying for.

So are they giving it 100% and are they fit to wear the shirt?

Apolgies to Lee Sawyer, I thought you gave it 100% and more.

I think that most of the players were giving the best they can. Sawyer, Barnard and HRK were giving their all for the cause. Hopefully when Macca gets back his experience will give them a kick. Hope Freedman plays against Carlisle.

This argument often gets put forward when a team aren't doing well, which I suppose is fair enough. But we should remember that the reasons that these players have made it as professional footballers is in part due to their ability but also due to their incredible desire to win - this is why they have made it to this level whereas other similarly gifted players haven't.

So in answer to the question, yes, I think the players are giving 100% and are hurt. I know it can appear otherwise when the team is playing badly, but maybe we should accept that sometimes the opposition are better than us on the day.

Of course there are exceptions, but I honestly don't think this is the case with the majority of our team at present.

players can give 100% but you cant get a boy to do a mans job most southend players give 100% (like matt harrold but will never set the world a light) tilly buys tryers .

I thought they all gave 100% last night but we are defending poorly and not getting the rub of the green at all

Barnard always gives his all and runs his socks off, Last night I thought him and Sawyer were the only players who did.

Thought some of the performances last night were very lacklustre. Just gave up once the Os went 3-2 up.

Back