• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

100 Legendary Southend Away Trips.

CHEMICO FC

Manager
I Could Talk About Loads,derby Last Season One That Sticks In My Mind A Little ,if You Was On Our Coach Youll Know Whot I Mean,whot A Day Out That Was.we Had 10 Derby Police On The Coach after the match Trying To Cause A Melay Which They Did,superb It Was.some One Else Might Give You Insight To Whot Happend. Lets Here About Some More Good Days Out youve had anybody.

Last edited:
Hartlepool away on a weds night in the freezing cold snow. We had a huge snow ball fight at the services, i kept falling **** over tit on the ice. I had one of my mates singing 'thats my goal' to me dont ask me why! i was also with my ex-girl :( who was worried about it being called off and i belived nearly every game up north got called off, she wouldnt stop worrying bless her. We done the conga, we scored a late penalty and i got my picture in the paper. On the way home it was bliss, 115 people went to that game, fantastic memories, without my friends and my ex i doubt that memorie wouldnt be as great as it is, so i thank them. Oh yes there was also a wizzard!!

There can only be one, well two, but I got severely let down for Swansea & missed it :mad: :thump: but for me it has to be Bury. I still look at my photo's of that day & smile, especially of the viking helmets too!

I know there are loads that people will mention & will be justified for various reasons, but I will add more if nobody mentions them.

BTW, number 2 on MY list is Play Off final at Cardiff, just to see the goals & seeing us promoted!! :)

Southampton last season is up there what a day out that was, although we lost 4-0 Sunderland was a cracking day as was Swansea when we won promotion

Can't look past Swansea to be honest. When 200-odd Shrimpers piled off completely intoxicated at Paddington, it was a site to behold! Good acoustics in a station!

I liked it when these Arab-type people clapped us on the tube. I think they thought we were some kind of show!

Also enjoyed Lincoln away in 2002 when I was absolutely paraletic!

It was quite fun when we scored those 2 injury time goals to win 2-1 at Gillingham in 1997, too.

Annoyingly, I feel my away experiences haven't been as good as they could have been. Going on the coach for a few years didn't help either; don't even consider them an option anymore.

maccelsfield 2.1 alan maccormack in the lat minuite.....got to be included - fantastic.

also, hartlepool , 2.1 - the best goal keeping display from a southend player, penalties and an overwhleming feeling of luck. brilliant

Mr TMWLT's happy bus to Chester in April 1986 takes some beating.

Fiorentina in October 1993 as well was a great trip.

We lost both those so you don't have to win to enjoy games (as we found out at Southampton last season).

I see somone else has already mentioned Stockport away you can't beat the first time you see your team win promotion.

So many great trips over the years, then and now our philosophy is we have a great day out, and in the middle of that day out we watch 90 minutes of football (or 90 minutes sleep ala Wingers at the Play-Off final :hilarious: lucky for him he woke up in time for the extra 30 minutes !!!)

Stockport was probably my first top day, anyone remember the 40-a-side kickabout in the park next to the ground ??

Blackpool during our last promotion was another top top day, no sleep the night before, leaving at about 4am to get to Stansted for the flight, right through to the delays at the airport on the way home.. people drinking 1/2 pints of Pernod cos there was virtually nothing else left to drink :)

Stockport was probably my first top day, anyone remember the 40-a-side kickabout in the park next to the ground ??

I remember years ago that happened at Port Vale it was a blinding day and the kick about before the game was alot more interesting than the tedious 2-0 defeat in the game itself.

Watching us win promotion for the first time at Peterbrough was good although I was only 11 and obviously Bury.

But I would have to go for The Play-off Final it was my 28th birthday that day and was hammered on the Friday night and only had a couple of hours sleep before departing for Cardiff, had a few drinks before the game in The Prince of Wales and a few more after to celebrate promotion! Got back to Southend about 11 met up with my bird and a couple of geezers in town and made our way down to the front singing all the way down the high street. We ended up in the Pappilon where there was a few more Southend fans so we were having a good old sing-song it was quality!

For me, as i am only 16, it would have to be away games during the last few years, and my top 3 would have to be;
1. Swansea (A) 2006- Atmosphere and the whole day was immense!
2. Southampton (A) 2007- Same as above!
3. Lincoln (N) 2005- Sweet Taste of Promotion after the last two heart breaks in the LDV!

birmingham away last season was pretty wicked.. went straight up for uni in london, met the lads in brum and got the beers in... awesome game and cracking atmosphere... went over to the birds in leicester and got my brown wings! hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I remember years ago that happened at Port Vale it was a blinding day and the kick about before the game was alot more interesting than the tedious 2-0 defeat in the game itself.

In the park just across the road from the away end ??

I recall playing there 3 or 4 times back in the late 80s / early 90s

Could be we played in the same games ???

BLUEBLOOD stated "Stockport was probably my first top day, anyone remember the 40-a-side kickabout in the park next to the ground ??"

Aye lad. Remember that one....also remember another kick about down at Bornmuff in the car park some time ago (no idea how long as i have since slept) involving slightly more than 40 people! I have a feeling it was about 200!

There have been so many, but i suppose the first big one WAS Stockport in 87.

Second biggie has to really be Bury....magnificent Shrimpers tumbling down the terraces saluting Sir Benji. I remember going mental and you uttering two words............"DIVISION TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Quality!

one of the best was aylesbury away.even though we lost,the trip up and home and the beers in the pub were lots of fun.About 15 of us All in the back of a luton having a huge food fight half way back round the m25 in the pitch black.Derby away quite a few years ago on a tuesday or wednesday i think we won 1-0 me, richie merrin, not sure if mark and peter were there, Andy Hill all in paul chandlers capri (i think).stopping of in some country pub on the way home,trying to nick some statue from the bar all ****ed up.Ah the good old days.

In the park just across the road from the away end ??

I recall playing there 3 or 4 times back in the late 80s / early 90s

Could be we played in the same games ???

Yeah it was at the away end of the ground I remember it was a boiling hot day, I was about 12/13 and my two younger brothers were playing aswell we used to go on the coach quite alot in those days. I cant remember anything about the game apart form sitting a huge terrace sweltering in the heat.

Gillingham in 1972. Leigh Comm ran 4 coaches and as it was the last away game of the season and promotion had already been secured we took an army there. Walked around the town in a pak of 500+, no danger from the local herberts as there were too many of us. Boring game ended 0-0.
Mind you, thought it looked better then than last trip there in Oct 2005.

Leigh Com now they were the days ..Steve Scaratt I remember well...and I saw John Carlin only last year ....I think he was driving buses if my memory is correct.

Back