• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blueronron

Manager
Did anyone remember it will be 16 years since referee Mike North died of a heart attack at Roots Hall on April 16th

Seem to remember it being in slow motion, as he ran back to the centre circle and then collapsed:sad:

Cannot for the life of me remember the team we played, have Shrewsbury in my head, but dont think it was

UTS

One of the few times a game has been allowed to be rescheduled for after the end of season, given both teams had nothing to play for. I think we won the game 3-1?

Couple of seasons ago(won't name the club)during training one of the ladies aged 20 died despite valiant efforts to save her.

Shocking and very sad....RIP ref and player.

A reminder referees are humans too and without them we wouldn't have the game we love. It's tragedy that he never returned home that day.

RIP Mike North.

Very sad day. As soon as he went down I think most people knew that something was very seriously wrong, and any ironic cheers soon faded to silence. Very dark day during a particularly depressing period as a Southend fan.

Very sad day. As soon as he went down I think most people knew that something was very seriously wrong, and any ironic cheers soon faded to silence. Very dark day during a particularly depressing period as a Southend fan.

Indeed. We all saw him on the ground and had a quick laugh. It didn't take long to realised that a person doesn't lie still face down in the grass unless there is something very seriously wrong.

One of the worst things I've ever seen at Roots Hall. It's also worth reminding everyone that the club donated the proceeds of the re-arranged game to Mike North's family.

Vaguely remember we tried to make the re-match a charity game with celebrity players, as there was nothing to play for, but the FL turned it down.

I wasn't at the original match, thankfully. :sad:

For anyone who doesn't know, there is a plaque in remembrance of him and this sad moment in our history in the tunnel area at Roots Hall. I wasn't there that day but my son was, with my dad. Quite, quite sad.

It was probably the only game I missed that season and frankly, I'm glad. I think it is actually the only time a regular league game has taken place after the actual "end" of the season.

Back