• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Big Bad Barry Corr

First XI⭐
Just seen that somebody has listed a 1980/81 4th Division Championship medal for sale on eBay today.

Just thought that one or two collectors may be interested to know this. Bit out of my price range at £600 unfortunately.

Don't think we are allowed to post eBay links here are we?

Just go to eBay and type (or cut and paste) into the search - League Winners (Southend United) Medal, Division 4 1980-81League Winners (Southend United) Medal, Division 4 1980-81 - which is how the listing is headed.

Sorry guys please no eBay links. I have noticed this on eBay myself and tempted to message the seller and find out who it belonged too.

No worries Ricey - I thought that was the case. Just thought it might be of interest to a few SZ posters. Hope I have not broken any rules by putting it up?

No worries Ricey - I thought that was the case. Just thought it might be of interest to a few SZ posters. Hope I have not broken any rules by putting it up?

Just as long as no one posts a link then I see no issues. Would love to know who it used to belong too.

Big price but a cracking item to have - how could you guarantee authenticity? Some kind of Auctioneers?
This is the second time that I have seen a medal from our first ever Championship winning season for sale & sadly only the season was engraved on them so the mystery remains who it was given too. This one is being sold from Brighton, however what is really bizarre the first one was purchased from the U.S.A!. In those days you had to play so many games to get one(12 I think). Our appearances were as follows Cawston(46), Stead(35), Moody(30), Cusack(42), Yates(42), Hadley(44), Pountney(44), Gray(46), Spence(46), Mercer(38), Otulakowski(43), Walker(17), Dudley(15+1), Nelson(12+10), the following also played J.Hull(3+2), Polycarpou(2+4), Pennyfather(1). I think the club were trying to get extra medals for the last 3 players but I believe that they would have to purchase them. I think they were also given to non-playing members of staff(manager etc).

Person who is selling it must have fallen on hard times though, be something you wouldnt sell otherwise,would be nice to know who that person is that owns it.

Unless its someone who has acheived far more in his career than a 4th teir title.
Spence for example, maybe Nelson.

I hope its that opposed to it being someone who really cherishes it having to sell

If it is being sold by one of the players, who has indeed fallen on hard times, I would advocate that fans, who are able to afford a contribution, set up a fund to help the player which would enable him to keep his well-earned medal. I would be happy to contribute to such a fund.

If it is being sold by one of the players, who has indeed fallen on hard times, I would advocate that fans, who are able to afford a contribution, set up a fund to help the player which would enable him to keep his well-earned medal. I would be happy to contribute to such a fund.
Why cant the club buy it for him to keep after all he helped make history for Southend United that season .

Why cant the club buy it for him to keep after all he helped make history for Southend United that season .

It's not a great deal of money but let's be honest that's money towards someone's wage and it's not like we have disposable cash lying around.

The thing is, whilst what you say is admirable is it the club's responsibility to help out somebody who (may possibly?) have fallen on hard times now? These guys played 30 plus years ago now and despite being part of our club's history, they were paid and rewarded for the time they were with Southend and how long must a duty of care continue, especially when we are so strapped for cash? I know that the PFA have schemes to help out retired players as I used to have a mate who played a few first team games for Gillingham and they paid for an operation he needed and his medical costs. Once you have been a member of the PFA, you remain so for life I understand.

I would not expect one of my old employers from over 30 years ago to help me now if I fell on hard times and think it is unfair to expect Southend to act if this is actually the scenario in this instance - and we do not know this to be the case, being merely speculation on other poster's parts.

Unless its someone who has acheived far more in his career than a 4th teir title.
Spence for example, maybe Nelson.

I hope its that opposed to it being someone who really cherishes it having to sell

Youd think someone who achieved enough that this medal meant little would have earnt enough not to have to sell it? Guess no one earnt a lot back then.

The club were ebaying their own memorabilia, they arent in a position to be buying things out of charity.

Id wouldnt be surprised if the medal isnt even being sold by the original owner anyway.

Back