• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 Ashes

None of these guys are the right fit, for various reasons. Problem is, whoever was picked, there would be a reason not to take them.

The odd one is James Vince. Deemed not good enough at all, this summer and hasn't scored many runs in county cricket, so why is he the right fit now?

The bowling, I thought, was pretty straightforward, so how on earth is Overton a better bet than about 5 or 6 other county bowlers. And what has Rashid done to p**s so many people off?

Last edited:
Just seen the squad. Jesus, Ballance and Vince. They really don't have a clue. Happy to see Foakes in the squad though. I would like to see the Stokes, Woakes, Foakes show.

And quite why we've picked a Man City striker, who isn't even English, is way beyond me...

Blimey!.. we all knew he was good with the bat, but jeeesss, that tap, tap, right hook, deserves a place in the boxing thread.. 15 landed punches within a minute is more than most boxing pro's can manage in a round!

For the record, (once he recovered from the pavement), I thought his foot work was good though!, shame the video cut off just before the "bitch slap left hand" :smile:

Sorry in advance, it's a sun newspaper clip:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4563420/england-cricket-ace-ben-stokes-nightclub-brawl-video/

Was that it. Big deal.

The only thing does irritate me is that England made a huge point of resting him for the T20 at Durham and then he's out on the p**s a few nights later, in the middle of an ODI tournament.

I'd be surprised if this goes much further. Looks like the recipients were hardly innocent bystanders.

Warner landed one on Joe Root the other year and was opening the batting in a Test Match a few days later.

None of these guys are the right fit, for various reasons. Problem is, whoever was picked, there would be a reason not to take them.

The odd one is James Vince. Deemed not good enough at all, this summer and hasn't scored many runs in county cricket, so why is he the right fit now?

The bowling, I thought, was pretty straightforward, so how on earth is Overton a better bet than about 5 or 6 other county bowlers. And what has Rashid done to p**s so many people off?

Andy Flower had him as captain for the Lions....

Talking of Flower, obviously England are reaping the reward for sacking their best player for looking out of a window. They haven't been able to replace him despite going through batsman after batsman. Even as a part-time player he's still as good as anyone not named Joe Root, but as he's banned by Strauss and in enforced retirement I'd have gone for K*nt's Northeast, Worcestershire's Clarke and British Boxing's Alex Hales. No need to make that choice just yet, take them and let them win a place in the warm-ups.

Fair point on KP and Hales or Northeast.

They don't seem to like Division Two options, for some reason, these days. Not when trying people out.

Think it's a mistake, personally.

Fair point on KP and Hales or Northeast.

They don't seem to like Division Two options, for some reason, these days. Not when trying people out.

Think it's a mistake, personally.

Despite England selector Mick Newell guiding Notts there last season and getting a good look at division 2 players.

ECB...

"Ben Stokes and Alex Hales will not be considered for selection for England international matches until further notice."

I think the ECB's decision to leaving Stokes & Hales out of the squad is obviously more of a moral issue (which I tend to agree with).. but this is the ashes for heavens sake! This is our historical cricket world cup final!, and always has been since 1882!

Looking at our line up, we are gonna get spanked. :sad:

I don't think it will affect The Ashes.

By then, it will all be sorted one way or another and I'd be amazed if Stokes isn't playing in the 1st Test.

The ECB has to be seen to be doing something, but the suspension is just hedging their bets. Stokes hasn't been removed from the squad and Hales wasn't in it, anyway.

One handy card the ECB can play is the vice-captaincy one. Strip Stokes of that role, thus kind of punish him, then free him up to play in Australia.

Yep, good point. If Root got injured, I can't see it being a good move in the current climate to have him captain England in his place.

On the Stokes incident, I guess Australia have the precedent of when Warner was involved in that incident with Root.

Think he was left out of the first two tests and went to South Africa for a short period, while it calmed down. However, he did play the rest of the series.

Yep, good point. If Root got injured, I can't see it being a good move in the current climate to have him captain England in his place.

On the Stokes incident, I guess Australia have the precedent of when Warner was involved in that incident with Root.

Think he was left out of the 1st Test and went to South Africa for a short period, while it calmed down. However, he did play the rest of the series.

I wonder who would step in if Root was unavailable? If only one game, I suppose Cook could take the reins again.

The problem is gutter press build them up and happy to knock them down

No one knows the truth what happened, stories he was defending two of his friends who were getting homophobic abuse, if so then fully deserved the bullies get bullied, however if it was drink reaction then no sympathy for him and if the book gets thrown at him so be it

Interesting if it had been Joe Public whether this would have been reported and just gone straight to court or cautioned

Back