• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2022-23 Southend United Retained / Released List

I'd expect some of those released to be retiring, White, Coulson, Atkinson and probably Ogogo

Other than possible Leon Davies leaving and JD getting an extension, I’m not to surprised with any of those that have today been let go. That said, I’d just like to thank them all for their efforts during their time at the club and wish them all the best for the future.

One things for sure, that’s quite a bit of wages we’re now saving, I’d expect a busy summer ahead.

I am sure the management team are looking further ahead than a lot of fans.

To give a player a year's contract they have to think how he will play for up to a year.

A player like Will is likely, as time goes on, to possibly lose more of his pace, for example.

We are all thinking of players today but how will any player as the year goes by ?

A little surprised we've been so ruthless. Thought we might have kept Dunne and Atkinson for their experience as backup players as well as Davies as a back-up. Slightly surprised Demetriou's have been extended, but that could be as back-up/coaching role.

Obviously it's not nice to see people lose their jobs and we shouldn't be celebrating that, however this type of clear out has been needed for the last couple of years.

Also, with the amount of players released, I guess is a sign of how confident we are with the quantity and quality of the players we have lined up. Assuming everyone signs we will have:

GK: Arnold, Andeng-Ndi
CB: Ralph, Hobson, Kensdale, Davis*
WB: Demetriou, Clifford
CM/AM: Husin, Wood, Bridge, Benton*, Coker*
ST: Murphy, Dalby, Powell, Cardwell

*Part of B-team and could be loaned out (Davis was at NLS last season so could be there or even tested at NL level)

As said above, minimum of 2 CB, 2 WB, 2 CM/AMs and 1 ST.

Demi decision has a whiff of Ron about it IMO. We know from previous chats to the press in troubled times he’s mentioned he offered to work for free or lesser wages and cares deeply etc. Able deputy and shift into coaching team seems right even tho I would, like most, not want to see him playing too often.
He triggered it with amount of appearances

Leon Davies did OK as you say. And in seasons gone by we'd have said OK was OK and offered a renewal. Glad that OK is no longer the standard we're aiming for. Wish Davies well. With a pre-season behind him he may do well at another club.
There have been reoccurring rumours on here that we have already lined up a full back who will sign soon. If the rumour is true maybe it is the reason behind the release of Davies.

There have been reoccurring rumours on here that we have already lined up a full back who will sign soon. If the rumour is true maybe it is the reason behind the release of Davies.
yes i heard that, possibly the RB from Barnet was mentioned. think he played under Currie and is around 24/25 so right so of age bracket we are looking at

There will also have to be some contract negotiations with lads that have contracts "up" at the end of the 22/23 season or we could find some we want to retain leaving for cheap as there is no NL transfer window, especially to league clubs at Christmas.
The work doesn't stop with recruiting, retention is important of what we have.

I take the numbers being released as a positive sign for the club. In previous seasons we could not risk letting those numbers leave for fear of non replacement and effectively no team. There must be a lot more confidence surrounding recruitment this year and having sufficient plans in place to bring players in.

A big thank you for your service in a difficult period for the club to those released and hope they are fixed up somewhere else soon

Davies wasn’t suitable for RWB role if Maher played 3-5-2 or 3-4-3, as RWB should be pacy, Dynamism and cross the ball with pace.

Good news. Where did you hear this?

Hard to argue with the club’s decision on this.

The last 13 games he was in and out of the side.

These are the ones he started

1-1 v an already relegated Weymouth
3-1 v Barnet (good result albeit they were woeful and missed a penalty and the last gasp goal makes it seem more comfortable than it was)
0-5 v Stockport
0-3 v Notts County
0-2 v Yeovil
1-2 v Maidenhead
0-3 v Dagenham

These were the ones he didn’t start

1-1 v Torquay
0-1 v Wrexham
1-0 v Boreham Wood
1-0 v Halifax
0-1 v Wealdstone although I have no idea how we didn’t win this one as we missed another penalty and a bucket of chances
2-0 v Altrincham

When I pointed out the declining performances and that he was failing the eye test I was told to trust the management who saw him in training, had all the running data etc. Well the management have spoken.

You have conveniently missed out the fact the Will Atkinson was our best player in the season changing 6 weeks starting at Bromley on Boxing day.

We all knew the like of Will and Johny White were going but credit were its due Will is top professional and was great value financially......Without that season changing run there would have been more pitch invasions, possible NLS Mayher under threat and no Kacper Lopata hinting to me on Sunday that he would like to be here next season.

Dylan Crowe is someone who could be worth a punt on in my opinion. Released by Ipswich and speaking to an Ipswich co-worker of mine, he reckons he’d do well at this level (with plenty of room to improve) and is comfortable at both full and wing back.

You have conveniently missed out the fact the Will Atkinson was our best player in the season changing 6 weeks starting at Bromley on Boxing day.

We all knew the like of Will and Johny White were going but credit were its due Will is top professional and was great value financially......Without that season changing run there would have been more pitch invasions, possible NLS Mayher under threat and no Kacper Lopata hinting to me on Sunday that he would like to be here next season.
I thought the same thing, highlighting the last 13 games for Atkinson being in a mid table form side, yet ignoring he played most of the games in the 13 game unbeaten run just before that.

Pretty ruthless list, and sad to see White, Atkinson go as they have spent a lot of time at the club. Also a huge clutch of those promising youngsters from a couple of year ago, Egbri, Mitchell-Nelson, Gard, Phillips. Rush etc. They were thought of as being the future. Maybe our youth set up isn't as good as we thought.

yes i heard that, possibly the RB from Barnet was mentioned. think he played under Currie and is around 24/25 so right so of age bracket we are looking at

Thought was the Hemel Hampstead one?
I think both have been mentioned:

Harry Taylor from Barnet https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/harry-taylor/profil/spieler/380028

Gus Scott-Morriss from Hemel Hempstead (National League South and where Sam Mantom now plies his trade)

Interesting that after #119 posts, only @Sensei Phil has so far voiced concerns over Clifford and Ralph.
Am assuming Ralph's appearances also triggered an extension (?) and Clifford on his day is OK.
But he too has suffered a spate of injuries, although it's assumed the trinity believe both can ride an entire campaign trouble free.
In the last seven seasons, Ralph has been out injured for a spell in each one, and apart from he and Tommy boy, I don't see another purpose built left-back.

Back