• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There are some great photos in that flickr album!

Bring back some good memories of Roots Hall pre South Stand and covered roofs in the corners etc

remember it well....running on the pitch from the north bank,celebrating survival.....only to be told we had been relegated.

ps....no mobile phones to check the scores in those days.:smile:

Chesterfield were also relegated that year. Reading won that last game to end a run of 6 straight defeats including one at Roots Hall. We went down on goal difference , Northampton survived. At the time it was the highest number of points any team had ever been relegated with.

Elsewhere that year, Millwall (10th) finished above Man Utd (11th) in Division One (Premiership for the younger reader), West Ham were relegated. Chelsea and Man City were first and second ...... in Division Two.

I know all those guys at Fiorentina with the Giant Southend flag.....a few of us chipped in to buy it.. Didn't go myself due to my fear of flying!
I think that flag was stolen in the end.....at an England away game in Moldova or somewhere..... ..

That header was the slowest header to go into a net ever

I seem to recall it being from being miles out, but I suspect that's my mind playing tricks on me.

Can anyone think of a header scored from further out (in the right net)?

header from a long way out.....must be Mario walsh v York on an opening game of season...again about 25 years ago. Scored two that day (debut I think) ...one a diving header from about 25 yards out........or have I remembered that all wrong?

I was standing by the directors box with my son as the players came out to wave at the crowd ,David Crown was close to tears and gave a short wave , we now had to wait 51 weeks till David scored two goals at Peterborough to take us back up .

Chesterfield were also relegated that year. Reading won that last game to end a run of 6 straight defeats including one at Roots Hall. We went down on goal difference , Northampton survived. At the time it was the highest number of points any team had ever been relegated with.

I remember the tannoy only announced that Reading were 2-0 down, they failed to announce any of the of the other 4 goals that they conceded! Hence everyone thought we were safe at the end of the game, conspiracy theory was that they didn't want to deal with a protest at the end of the game. It seems incredible in this day and age what a lack of technology and communication there was in those days.

I remember the tannoy only announced that Reading were 2-0 down, they failed to announce any of the of the other 4 goals that they conceded! Hence everyone thought we were safe at the end of the game, conspiracy theory was that they didn't want to deal with a protest at the end of the game. It seems incredible in this day and age what a lack of technology and communication there was in those days.

Iirc Reading were on a major losing streak and that was their first win in months.
With them 2 0 down at ht we thought we were safe

I'm in there somewhere. I remember being there a long time before someone from the Directors Box said that Reading had won. We wondered how that could be and thought it was a mistake. I don't think it sank in until I saw the results in the Sunday papers.

It wasn't the 19th century, we still had radios.

Back