• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Not long now till the 5th of August and Blackburn at Roots Hall. With the signings of Hendrie, Kightly and Turner(have we?) and Mr Brown looking for more new boys we appear to be set for a very decent squad to start the season. If only Nile hadn't been a complete tool and was getting a full pre-season in, we would be awesome, on paper at least.

Now for the discussion bit. With the introduction of the newbies our squad will take on new group dynamics and they will have to form a new togetherness which has been the cornerstone of previous seasons. That will take time I think, as will the gelling of the team on the playing front. My guess is that some of our established 1st teamers may be a bit ****ed off at the increased competition. Whether that will make them up their game is yet to be seen. I'm really pleased with the re-enforcements but I'm not expecting to see championship contenders from the very first game. So, what do you think?

Who are you thinking of in particular in terms of increased competition, Coker I presume? I cant think of anyone else.

Part and parcel of being a professional footballer is knowing that there is always another player waiting to step into your boots/place on the pitch at anytime. If you get cheesed off because new players arrive then I would suggest that the "energy" needs to be channeled into making sure that you keep your place in the team.

And the first few games of the season are always a little bit of a lottery. I would be pleased to be sitting at mid-table after 6 or so games - not because I think the table is a reliable indicator but because that would point towards a better start to the season than the last couple of seasons.

I remain hopeful (but I have no evidence to back this up) that Nile will be back in the squad come some time in September.

Still think the big "cloud" is other clubs looking at Lenny - if that goes away then I will be very pleased. :smile:

Three possibilities for left back - Cokes, Kypo and Hendy.

But then there are all the young players coming through who will (should) be training like crazy to catch the eye of Senor Philippo El Duce Brown.

Who are you thinking of in particular in terms of increased competition, Coker I presume? I cant think of anyone else.

I actually don't have anyone in mind, but if you bring in three new players with more to come possibly then it changes the dynamics of the team.

I actually don't have anyone in mind, but if you bring in three new players with more to come possibly then it changes the dynamics of the team.

Ok, well thats part and parcel of being a footballer the squad should be happy with the quality of signings we've made IMO.

McGlashan has a touch more competition these days. There is also apparently this attacking CM in advanced talks, which would provide competition for Wordsworth. Both great news IMO and hope the CM and Turner sign their deals this week. I'd be well happy with that plus another CB. Competition all round!

Don't think players are too ****** off by the new arrivals -
And Brown believes the deal has also boosted the Shrimpers squad. “I went to meet the players at the airport and the first five or six off the plane all asked if Kightly had signed,” said the 58-year-old.
“I believe season ticket sales are up and there’s a real buzz about the place since we signed him.”

And this was Coker's tweet when the news about Kightly signing was announced -
ben coker‏ @bencoker24 Jul 7
Replying to @SUFCRootsHall

Lovely job
1f64c-1f3fb.png
1f525.png

One game at a time: I thought about starting a pre match thread; and if the mods think it should be then make it so.

We are gearing up for the BRFC game and everyone bar (excuse a weak pun) Nile ought to be available.

I believe PB will go for Ox as gk. unless something big happens pre season.

Demi, White(Turner), Anton, Coker (or Hendrie who will be wanting to play this one!)
McL,Len, Tims (Woody), Kightly
Cox, MAF (or Theo)

Just guesses for 6/11 places and a strong bench.

This,obviously doesn't included the expected 2 extra new signings; I think PB and GC have to be pleased and having 3 weeks+ to select the right 11 is not time to waste.

One game at a time: I thought about starting a pre match thread; and if the mods think it should be then make it so.

We are gearing up for the BRFC game and everyone bar (excuse a weak pun) Nile ought to be available.

Demi, White(Turner), Anton, Coker (or Hendrie who will be wanting to play this one!)
Cox, MAF (or Theo)

Just guesses for 6/11 places and a strong bench.

This,obviously doesn't included the expected 2 extra new signings; I think PB and GC have to be pleased and having 3 weeks+ to select the right 11 is not time to waste.

The thing is for the last couple of seasons we (Southend United) have been in the first couple of games without the starting XI that most people on here would choose .......... and then PB/GC get to read more posts on here and come round to our way of thinking ..............

........... but this year, we have (so far) less disruption than normal so I am hoping that PB/GC get the correct starting XI from the start of the season and we kick on from there ............. bar Nile of course.:'(

Interested to see our odds are 22/1 to 28/1 to win Lge 1 outright, depending on which bookies you go to.
Promotion coming in at 7/1 average

Paddy Power are offering the 22/1 with 3rd winnings if we get top 4 finish. I wonder what odds of Winning the div + Coxy top scorer, possibly a bit ambitious, but a fully fit squad and a good start it could be worth a punt..

Not long now till the 5th of August and Blackburn at Roots Hall. With the signings of Hendrie, Kightly and Turner(have we?)
Nope, not signed yet.

My guess is that some of our established 1st teamers may be a bit ****ed off at the increased competition.
What, like John White was last season?!! :winking:

Cox, MAF (or Theo)

Don't think there's any way Woody will be fit for the start of the season.

............................oxley........................
White........ferdinand....turner......coker
....................leonard....hendrie.............
.....kightly.........cox............mclaughlin
..........................fortune......................

Robinson,mcglashan,demetriou,wordsworth,smith,timlin,matsuzuka

On the basis of Wordsworth and Ranger being unavailable and with no additional signings, then I think the starting team will be :
Oxley
DemetriouFerdinandTurnerCoker
KightlyTimlinLeonardMcLaughlin
CoxFortune
Subs :SmithWhiteHendrieMcGlashanRobinsonMatsuzakaBridge

On the basis of Wordsworth and Ranger being unavailable and with no additional signings, then I think the starting team will be :
Oxley
DemetriouFerdinandTurnerCoker
KightlyTimlinLeonardMcLaughlin
CoxFortune
Subs :SmithWhiteHendrieMcGlashanRobinsonMatsuzakaBridge

I could tell you who the other players are that we have targeted but you might be Neil Harris (in disguise of course) or you might tell the Evening Echo and Neil might read it in the paper so I'm keeping quiet ...........:unsure:

Nah, just a straight up question:smile: the newest thing I know is the drums for "highway to hell " and "crazy train" and because mrs e has started watching it "love island" is execrable / crap:stunned:

I've got a little bit of a sore throat today - all that dry, dusty air I should think ................:slurp::violin:

Back