• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2nd ODI

at least i've got to watch the whole game again straight afterwards.

It worked out perfectly for me as i followed the SA innings online, got home when England were just starting out and then watched the dismal SA effort after that .. Happy days :)

It was a nice touch for me. Normally these day-night matches result in me missing smoe important bit of play on the way home or doing something in the evening but managed to squeeze it all in at work.

Broad was for once giving an excellent exhibition of line and length bowling at good pace and the South Africans never managed to get on top of him. You would have expected players of the calibre and experience of Kallis, Smith and Gibbs to deal with him better than they did. Fair play to him though as bowling that line and length you're going to make it difficult for any batsman.

Although the damage was done already Flintoff still came at them fired up not giving any way back in to the game and was getting a head of steam up when the game started to fizzle out.

Of the others, Anderson actually bowled remarkably consistently building pressure at the opposite end which definitely seemed to help Broad as the batsmen played at good balls too many times. Harmison bowled adequately but nothing more was needed really.

In terms of knocking off the score, again, Bell looked like an opening batsman all the way and Prior looked determined to play a variety of ugly looking shots before the innings was up. No idea how he managed to keep his wicket. Good keeping though, it has to be said. The catch was a beaut and there was a lot of other promising glovework. I still need to be convinced but this was certainly creditable.

That's literally all I have to say on this. NO other points to make

Last edited:
Samit Patel? Didnt he bowl 10 overs in the 1st ODI taking 1-40(odd)?

Bell's strike rate in the ODI's so far is less than 50. Be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of games.

Samit Patel? Didnt he bowl 10 overs in the 1st ODI taking 1-40(odd)?

Bell's strike rate in the ODI's so far is less than 50. Be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of games.

Oh dear. Just realised that I can't read cricinfo's player page properly.

...Prior looked determined to play a variety of ugly looking shots before the innings was up. No idea how he managed to keep his wicket. Good keeping though, it has to be said. The catch was a beaut and there was a lot of other promising glovework. I still need to be convinced but this was certainly creditable...

Prior looked like he has been working pretty hard with Alec Stewart on his glovework, and although his batting was extremely streaky, he does at least offer impetus at the top of the order and has the potential to take lower-ranking sides to pieces. Imagine what impact he could have had on the series against NZ instead of 'Twinkle-Toes' Ambrose?! Still think that James Foster has a massive advantage in terms of 'keeping and what he could do for the one-day side in that respect, but if the selectors continually ignore him, then Prior is the natural selection.

It does bring me onto another point though - Essex and Kent are clearly the two best one-day teams in the country (I don't think you can read too much into them being in Division Two of the Pro40 as the season is so short that a couple of rain-affected fixtures are you are stuffed - also, as opposed to the Championship, where there is a clear gap between the top division and the rest, two divisions does not have such an impact in one-day cricket), reaching the final of the FPT and Finals day in Twenty20, yet there was no respresentation from either county in the most recent ODI.

Cook and Bopara were in the squad, but Foster, Denly and Key have consistently performed in one-day cricket in the past few years and are constantly over-looked, and you could probably make a case for Jones, Tredwell and dare I say it, Napier, as being other candidates worthy of inclusion in a larger squad as well.

Back