• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

3-5-2

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 27 2005,16:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ July 27 2005,15:35)]3-1-4-2?

Barrett-Prior-Hunt

Maher

Gower-Smith-Beno-Cole

Freddy-Wayne
Blimey - now that is attacking, I can't see much defending from Gower & Cole.
Gower doesn't defend well your right, but Cole on the other hand doesn't do a bad job of it (from what I have seen of him), using his pace to track back.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Eternal Optimist @ July 27 2005,16:37)]How about 0-0-10?

It works in the playground!
biggrin.gif
And rush goalies???

Barrett, Prior and Edwards do not have the pace needed to cover the flanks in a 3-5-2, especially when the left and right midfielders cannot be relied on to do their share of tracking back. More importantly, with a squad at below the minimum number of personnel to stop fans soiling their undies, it should be accepted that not all the midfielders are going to play and the choice of who does is Tilly's problem. We do have to have someone in reserve to cover injury etc... Still, at least this thread is a change to the Bart and Flavs question.
biggrin.gif

As far as I'm concerned, a team should always play to its strengths, making the best use of the players at its disposal.

Which is why I can't see anything other than a 4-4-2 formation this season. The likes of Mitch Cole and Mark Gower would be utterly wasted in a wing-back system, and though 3-5-2 would provide an extra central midfield berth and make use of the options we have there, that system tends to promote a slower build-up which I think would be detrimental to our potentially powerful and pacey style of play.

Ultimately I don't mind the 3-5-2 system but it is better suited to international football because it demands flexibility and players to be comfortable in more than one area of the pitch. I don't think players at our level are good enough to cope with that and make the system work effectively, though in my opinion England should experiment with it.

I think the benefits of the (familiar) 4-4-2 system, far outweigh the need to play around with starting formations like 3-5-2, 4-3-3 etc. The great thing about 4-4-2, is that if it isn't working against your opponents style of play, then the manager can tweak it, so we line up 4-4-2, but play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 with good player positioning or a substitution...

This is where utility players like Lewis Hunt come into play!

I hope you follow that... I confuse myself sometimes!
biggrin.gif

Back