• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

3 up 3 down from the NL/EFL?

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐

Thought this was an interesting read.We can but pray I suppose.ie there's always next season.

Ps can a mod change the H to an N in the thread title please?

This needs to happen! The National League format as it stands (IMO) is not fit for purpose, belongs in the 80's and doesn't reflect the average make-up of the clubs within it; full time players, some with hi tech stadia, and turn-overs a reflection of today's economic position (relative to past decades). As we know SUFC can have upwards or 150 staff, more on certain days, how can that be described as 'non-league'?! The football pyramid has grown at the top and been left to almost fend for itself at the base. I was at Roots Hall on the day we went top of 'the championship,' so ALL clubs should be given the best opportunity to achieve the highest position possible, giving more teams this chance can only help, surely?

This needs to happen! The National League format as it stands (IMO) is not fit for purpose, belongs in the 80's and doesn't reflect the average make-up of the clubs within it; full time players, some with hi tech stadia, and turn-overs a reflection of today's economic position (relative to past decades). As we know SUFC can have upwards or 150 staff, more on certain days, how can that be described as 'non-league'?! The football pyramid has grown at the top and been left to almost fend for itself at the base. I was at Roots Hall on the day we went top of 'the championship,' so ALL clubs should be given the best opportunity to achieve the highest position possible, giving more teams this chance can only help, surely?
I dont think anyone gives a toss until you find yourself in non league then it all feels 'unfair'.

It has now and always has made the drop out of the league that bit more catastrophic, more dramatic, more crucial to stay up and more incredible if you narrowly avoid the drop.

So it has more theatre and drama to it, but is that a good thing?

It's the Christmas season where turkeys vote for Christmas.

Likewise league 1 and league 2 clubs will very much not vote for this even if it is the most sensible option.

I hope to be proved wrong.

I dont think anyone gives a toss until you find yourself in non league then it all feels 'unfair'.

It has now and always has made the drop out of the league that bit more catastrophic, more dramatic, more crucial to stay up and more incredible if you narrowly avoid the drop.

So it has more theatre and drama to it, but is that a good thing?
Yeah, I hadn't thought about it like that, there has to be losers, but the reasons I state as a football fan not just a Shrimper I think things need to change, ummm.

It really should now be called League 3 & be part of the EFL, considering its almost fully professional, with many clubs in it that are bigger and probably better than those in L2. I know it would devalue the NL as a brand but no reason why there still can't be an NL Premier League made up of the top halves of both the NLN and NLS, with the same kind of promotion / relegation as now exists between L2 and the NL. I know we're biased, but I can't see any logical argument not to have the top 3 go up by right, with a 4th going up via the play-offs, with the bottom 4 from L2 coming down.

It's the Christmas season where turkeys vote for Christmas.

Likewise league 1 and league 2 clubs will very much not vote for this even if it is the most sensible option.

I hope to be proved wrong.
I hope you are too. :Smile: It could be our best chance of getting out of the NL anyime soon.

Can’t see anyone in the national league or the league themselves not being in favour of this. I’d say the top half of this league could hold their own in league two and a handful of them have rightful claims for being bigger than a host of teams you’ll find in the league above.

That said, there isn’t a chance in hell anyone from league two votes for this, why add an extra relegation spot and put yourself in danger?

I agree, but as in teams relegated from the prem, huge parachute payments soften the blow, unlike the lower leagues, comparatively speaking. So, I think if this financial burden was eased, the league would then better reflect footballing achievement, quality and skill, rather than £ clout. But hey maybe I'm just a dreaming fool. In the longer run, after the initial pain, I think all will benefit in lower league football, and maybe help teams to survive and not go otta business, ala Scarbough etc etc.

If top two go up automatically, we should have an Series B style play off, where 3rd to 10th place fight out for play off to gain 1 more promotion place.

A member of the senior EFL team is keen to have three up and three down from League 2 to standardise it across the board. I can’t see the national league agreeing to anything as their ego’s are far too large, but it would be good to see it happen.

I could actually see a number of efl clubs voting for it, there is and has been a lot of big ex league clubs stuck in the vnl for a few years, one bad season in L2 can see you relegated.

One good season in the vnl can see you finish 2nd and out of the playoffs in the semi doomed to repeat the same year after year

You're clearly referring to the New Year's Day game against Newcastle.Went to the previous home game but had to be back in Barna for a course starting on the Tuesday. :Cry:

Arguably most (if not all) our curent problems stemmed from the double promotion of Tilly's team and the subsequent non-payment of players at the end of our relegation from the Championship after only one season.In what was our second spell there.

But that's another story.The current one is how in hell do we regain our FL status?

Last edited:
You're clearly referring to the New Year's Day game against Newcastle.Went to the previous home game but had to be back in Barna for a course starting on the Tuesday. :Cry:

Arguably most (if not all) our curent problems stemmed from the double promotion of Tilly's team and the subsequent non-payment of players at the end of our relegation from the Championship after only one season.In what was our second spell there.

But that's another story.The current one is how in hell do we regain our FL status?
In response, yes that's the game, and lastly, how, well that's the link to your OP, as part of the overall issues SUFC face. If we look at the table today, if the current runners do not exclusively feature in promotion, what are any team supposed to do (to get otta this league)? It's a bit like the use of penalties to decide a singular games outcome, something just doesn't fit correctly?

Whilst it would be a far fairer way to promote clubs out of the NL into the EFL I really cant see it happening as some clubs would be signing their own demise. someone has already said it's like Turkeys voting for Christmas

Back