• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

3 up 3 down from the NL/EFL?

You're clearly referring to the New Year's Day game against Newcastle.Went to the previous home game but had to be back in Barna for a course starting on the Tuesday. :Cry:

Arguably most (if not all) our curent problems stemmed from the double promotion of Tilly's team and the subsequent non-payment of players at the end of our relegation from the Championship after only one season.In what was our second spell there.

But that's another story.The current one is how in hell do we regain our FL status?
But would you trade that double promotion and cup runs for 4 seasons of sturdy mid table league 2?

Although we gave the championship a good crack and made some bigger signings we didnt go mad, and it was all around a time where the new stadium seemed imminent (i know, i know).

With the benefit of hindsight we needed a stan and a tom lawrence then.

Personally i wouldnt change it. We just need to get through this madness we find ourselves in.....

I have always wondered this. Long before we were put into the national league. I now know why they say it's a hard league to get out of. 1 winner and 6 silly put together play off places. It's only really the exchange between leagues 1 and 2 that would be affected. 4 going down from league 1, why 4 have to drop from league 1!? I can't see why it would be a hard choice except those bottom of league 2. If 3 dropped out of league 2 then col ewe might finally join us! šŸ˜œ

League 2 have now got to seriously consider this. No longer is the National League a wasteland of pub/park teams. Also would be easier for perennial strugglers to get back in the Football League. Would be no complaint if EFL took over National League and renamed it League 3, could then do 4 places as per drop from League 1. Realign NLS/NLN back into National League (Premier as it is)

There are now a good number of teams BACK in the EFL who know how hard and unbalanced the current set up is.
I hope SC and GT take a lead on this.

It'll definitely be a difficult one to get past League 2 teams, and although I suspect many of them will agree it's unfair, appeals to their sense of fairness will probably only go so far. Any team in the bottom half of the table is naturally going to be looking down with trepidation.

The best argument we can make for it is that it is in their interests, just as everyone else's, to stop that drop being such a terrifying cliff edge in the first place. More promotion/relegation spots would remove the extreme competition at the top end of the NL (between teams that are undoubtedly better than the whole bottom half of L2), and mean that dropping to the NL doesn't automatically lead to spending 5-10 years in the wilderness playing better teams than before with less money, as it often does now. It's a risk, it always will be, it's now clear that anyone can get stung by it, so it's better to reduce the potential pain.

The only problem is that this balancing out between the leagues would take at least a year or two to make an impact. In the meantime there would definitely be a few clubs who would get relegated in the third bottom spot and then have to fight in a still unnaturally competitive NL, who would for sure be hard done by. We just have to hope that not too many think this would be them. (Though Col Ewe are currently in that spot so maybe we don't have to feel too bad)

This is an awkward situation BUT imo, just like the no plastic pitches and safety standards there ought to be a financial fair play standard AND a sustainable crowd number factor in the "up" teams.
A tough call but surely necessary, Wealdstone, for example are far removed, off field, from a standard that a EFL club need.

I have often thought a sensible solution would be to combine the NLP and League 2 and form a league 2 North and South. Costs would be reduced as the longer trips needing overnight stays would be reduced or eliminated. More local games would reduce the mileage traveled.

Closer games geographically may also be advantageous as it would generate more travelling support and increased match day revenues.

@ALW, regional might work in some cases but England is geographically not suited to a split. It is a long way to Torquay or Hartlepool. And Barrow, Gateshead and Plymouth too.

Now if it was regional and into many smaller leagues like the NFL/NFC in "egg ball" in the USA that would be radical and shake things up.

But most clubs don't care for away fans as in lower EFL and NL there are only a handful who regularly travel with 500 plus fans per game.

It should happen but the EFL will never vote for it
My initial reaction is to agree with you, but perhaps (& hopefully) the EFL clubs will look at it differently?

What is better, the same old gash clubs finishing 3rd and 4th bottom, or a few up and coming clubs who have got their house in order?

Whilst itā€™s fair to say that the top of the NL is currently stronger than the bottom of L2, that is because thereā€™s currently a bottleneck. Will there still be a bottleneck in 5 yearsā€™ time though once Notts County, Wrexham, Chesterfield, ourselves have all been promoted out as would likely if 3 went up?

It is still a major change going from L2 to NL, the impact of which we still havenā€™t fully encountered. Weā€™re still receiving parachute money, plus thereā€™s the impact on the youth set-ups. Would this result in more clubs scrapping their youth set-ups? Itā€™s not just the funding but the compensation for players being poached that is affected.

Finally would it be a good thing for the NL? I think the NL actually benefits from it being tough to get out. Clubs like Maidenhead benefit financially from teams like us and Wrexham bringing lots of fans, boosting the value of TV rights and sponsorship deals. Clubs like Wrexham (and Luton before them) have benefited from it being tough to get out of as its toughened them up. L2 would IMO benefit more from reducing the teams being promoted to L1 than increasing the teams from the NL.

I dont think anyone gives a toss until you find yourself in non league then it all feels 'unfair'.

It has now and always has made the drop out of the league that bit more catastrophic, more dramatic, more crucial to stay up and more incredible if you narrowly avoid the drop.

So it has more theatre and drama to it, but is that a good thing?
Not sure of that. I've been saying it for years, and I know I'm not the only one.

It'll definitely be a difficult one to get past League 2 teams, and although I suspect many of them will agree it's unfair, appeals to their sense of fairness will probably only go so far. Any team in the bottom half of the table is naturally going to be looking down with trepidation.

The best argument we can make for it is that it is in their interests, just as everyone else's, to stop that drop being such a terrifying cliff edge in the first place. More promotion/relegation spots would remove the extreme competition at the top end of the NL (between teams that are undoubtedly better than the whole bottom half of L2), and mean that dropping to the NL doesn't automatically lead to spending 5-10 years in the wilderness playing better teams than before with less money, as it often does now. It's a risk, it always will be, it's now clear that anyone can get stung by it, so it's better to reduce the potential pain.

The only problem is that this balancing out between the leagues would take at least a year or two to make an impact. In the meantime there would definitely be a few clubs who would get relegated in the third bottom spot and then have to fight in a still unnaturally competitive NL, who would for sure be hard done by. We just have to hope that not too many think this would be them. (Though Col Ewe are currently in that spot so maybe we don't have to feel too bad)
I'm not sure of that. Nothing will change for this season so they don't have to worry about it at least until the season after at the absolute earliest.

Hartlepool win tonight and current bottom two are Colchester & Gillingham. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. That would make next season interesting in the NL if that remained . Change it next season to 3!

Hartlepool win tonight and current bottom two are Colchester & Gillingham. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. That would make next season interesting in the NL if that remained . Change it next season to 3!
I would love it, if Col Ewes & Gillingham come down. I hope Ewes lose the next 4 games, the teams outside bottom 2, start winning, to increase the gaps.

Itā€™s be more interesting if Chelmsford or Braintree come up!!

Last edited:
I have often thought a sensible solution would be to combine the NLP and League 2 and form a league 2 North and South. Costs would be reduced as the longer trips needing overnight stays would be reduced or eliminated. More local games would reduce the mileage traveled.

Closer games geographically may also be advantageous as it would generate more travelling support and increased match day revenues.
That would just be a return to the old days of 3rd division North and south then..older supporters would remember. The pyramid works quite well just as it is imo, though 3 up would be an improvement with 2 automatic and 1 from play offs , but what's in it for efl 2 clubs ? Many changes have happened over the years so who knows ! Re-election was terrible and stopped evolution..

I would love it, if Col Ewes & Gillingham come down. I hope Ewes lose the next 4 games, the teams outside bottom 2, start winning, to increase the gaps.

Itā€™s be more interesting if Chelmsford or Braintree come up!!

We are in a right state at present, whatever we do we seem to be on the wrong end of decisions/injuries and some of our players are just not good enough. I think there will be a lot of signings in January (Again!) to try to stop the rot, but I feel this year we are in greater danger of going down. For the last couple of seasons we have been saved by a couple of clubs being worse than us, but this year it looks like a mini league of pick 2 from 4.

Back