• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

35 Year Ago........

tomorrow, is the anniversary of my first Southend match vs. Doncaster Rovers at home, played on either Good Friday or Easter Monday. We won 2-1 (Billy Best and Bill Garner) in that promotion season. I stood with my brother on the South Bank.

Just realised this, and thought I'd share it with you.

Oi, wake up at the back there.

I don't believe it that was my first game also and it was Good Friday. I sat in the East Stand cheap seats with my late Dad. Thirty five years, suddenly I feel old!

1971-72 season

Bill Garner Top Scorer 26

Gary Moore and Billy Best played in the side that year
Brian Albeson and Bill Garner were joint players of the year

Other notable names
Terry Johnson, Dave Elliott, Spud

Looking at the results, not many different goalscorers that year (but loads from Garner & Best) Johnson , Taylor ,Garner, Best ,Moore and Lewis ,Lindsay, Elliot Albeson and og

I correct my previous statement we lost to Cambridge 1-2 when Belloti got injured- lost 1 drew 3 in the last 4 games and missed promotion

thanx Firestorm -

Terry Johnson presented my medal for under 15s football - wonder if he'd remember me - LOL -

walrus moustache and a nippy winger but with a bit more about him - like
our current Mr. Gower -

Garner must have got about half his goals from corners - 100k to Chlesea ?

I used to buy the Evening Standard, the 'stop press' column had results.

I liked the "Crewe 1 Southend". Smudged ink! Had to wait for me mum to buy the Daily Mirror next morning. It was 1967!

I used to buy the Evening Standard, the 'stop press' column had results.

I liked the "Crewe 1 Southend". Smudged ink! Had to wait for me mum to buy the Daily Mirror next morning. It was 1967!

That many ? I thought it was nil.

Derek Bellotti broke his collarbone in the penultimate home game IIRC (Cambridge ?) and Both Bill Garner and Peter Taylor went in goal (at different times) Ended up as a draw , and we went on to miss out on the title.

Nope... we lost 2-1 and it was the end of our long unbeaten run. But it did cost us the title.

I remember rushing to get the paper to see the score the following morning as I didn't get to the game and that was about as early as you could find out the result. My 10 year old hands turned to the inside back cover frantically, and I looked for the section headed "last nights results", confidently expecting another Blues win.

It was shock that made me think it was a joke... was it April 1st? No... I must have misread the score... yes, that's it... we didn't score 1 at all, we scored 7 and I misread it. Check again... nope, definitely a 1. Printing error? Did they mean 3 to us or was the Cambridge score a misprint?

It was seriously several minutes before it actually sunk in that we had lost. I remember the feeling vividly to this day. Absolute disbelief.

Still, gave me a good grounding for the next 33 years or so...

tomorrow, is the anniversary of my first Southend match vs. Doncaster Rovers at home, played on either Good Friday or Easter Monday. We won 2-1 (Billy Best and Bill Garner) in that promotion season. I stood with my brother on the South Bank.

Just realised this, and thought I'd share it with you.

Oi, wake up at the back there.

I was 5 years old :)

Wasnt this the season we met stoke in the pre season game ...bentlys testimonial.....we all turned out to see banks ....who never played ! recall my sister said when the half time whistle blew "is that it can we go home now !" we were 2 - 0 up and managed to lose 4 - 2...... i remember standing on the south bank with me dad (R.I.P.)

Sure gonna miss roots so many memories.....

Back