• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

450 days later

Whilst having a sort out recently i found the programme from Stockport away in 1987 when we won promotion, in the editorial they paid tribute to us on a fine season and mentioned we were looking to build a new ground, it said something along the lines of "whatever division they are in its highly unlikely that Southend will still be at Roots Hall by the time we reach the next decade"

Let alone the next century and millenium !!!!

To date the club have spent around 1 million pounds on the project,Personally i would have rather gave the cash to Tilly to obtain better players..But thats another story.

So let's say hypothetically Tilly and Brush were given this £1m you say the club have spent on this project so far. Let's suppose they went out and bought some cracking players that went on to do great things for this club. Let's also assume that they were all so great that we have spent the last four seasons in the CCC and selling out Roots Hall every fortnight. Now where do we go? Where's the ambition or the money to progress. The revenue generated during those four seasons would no where near be enough to even start thinking about a new home. In this hypothetical scenario we could indeed just sit in the CCC and fill Roots Hall to the rafters week in week out but the club on a whole would be going absolutely nowhere. Profits made every year due to extra income. Profits that could go toward buying in even better players but still not growing as a club. Chicken and egg, eventually a new ground would have to be sought and that entails spending shed loads of cash on lawyers, architects etc etc all in just the planning stage.

Rather now than in another ten years time imo.

Maybe I am thinking completely out of the box here but has RM considered a floating stadium with access from the end of the pier? You wouldn't have to buy land as it is in the sea and seawater is free- effectively work could begin next week. If Ron is really sold on the idea of having a "petsmart" as part of the complex to raise transfer funds then I'm sure that could easily be accomodated. The beauty of my project- let's call it "Nzamba Island"- is that it regenerates both the pier and the football club.

Maybe I am thinking completely out of the box here but has RM considered a floating stadium with access from the end of the pier? You wouldn't have to buy land as it is in the sea and seawater is free- effectively work could begin next week. If Ron is really sold on the idea of having a "petsmart" as part of the complex to raise transfer funds then I'm sure that could easily be accomodated. The beauty of my project- let's call it "Nzamba Island"- is that it regenerates both the pier and the football club.

:D don't I remember seeing an image on here some time back of something along those lines.....possibly created by a certain Mr Hank?

So let's say hypothetically Tilly and Brush were given this £1m you say the club have spent on this project so far. Let's suppose they went out and bought some cracking players that went on to do great things for this club. Let's also assume that they were all so great that we have spent the last four seasons in the CCC and selling out Roots Hall every fortnight. Now where do we go? Where's the ambition or the money to progress. The revenue generated during those four seasons would no where near be enough to even start thinking about a new home. In this hypothetical scenario we could indeed just sit in the CCC and fill Roots Hall to the rafters week in week out but the club on a whole would be going absolutely nowhere. Profits made every year due to extra income. Profits that could go toward buying in even better players but still not growing as a club. Chicken and egg, eventually a new ground would have to be sought and that entails spending shed loads of cash on lawyers, architects etc etc all in just the planning stage.

Rather now than in another ten years time imo.

Football fans are the most fickle on this planet and in general are not stupid..Roots Hall being packed to the rafters would generate more revenue which could be used to fund FF.The club should of signed Robinson early doors as his fee would not have been 300k maybe 200k,Now assuming the club signed him and say sell 1000 shirts with Robinsons name emblazoned on the back equals 40k returned in addition the guy could of possibly added another 3/4/5pts to our current total.The bonus prize being if Robinson was tied into a 3 year deal and did the business and hey presto an asset worth a nice few quid.

Nice idea but the club don't own the shop and just get a percentage and a yearly fee.

Nice idea but the club don't own the shop and just get a percentage and a yearly fee.

I am stunned..Why would the club allow decent profits to go out the window.Does this mean the same arrangement will be at FF?

I am stunned..Why would the club allow decent profits to go out the window.Does this mean the same arrangement will be at FF?

I guess because they get a lump some up front each season have no shop staff wages to pay and no monies tied up in stock holding.

I guess because they get a lump some up front each season have no shop staff wages to pay and no monies tied up in stock holding.

Sounds to me as though its a quick small profit when it could be much much more.

If you check them out it is surprising how many clubs they are involved with.

It can make sense (ie more profits) to get in a third party who has more expertise and better economies of scale to run aspects of the business.

It's like getting your insurance or banking from Tescos. That will be a joint venture with an insurance company or bank, who provide the expertise, systems etc whilst Tescos provide the site and the name recognition. I think Tescos are considered fairly well run.

Football fans are the most fickle on this planet and in general are not stupid..Roots Hall being packed to the rafters would generate more revenue which could be used to fund FF.The club should of signed Robinson early doors as his fee would not have been 300k maybe 200k,Now assuming the club signed him and say sell 1000 shirts with Robinsons name emblazoned on the back equals 40k returned in addition the guy could of possibly added another 3/4/5pts to our current total.The bonus prize being if Robinson was tied into a 3 year deal and did the business and hey presto an asset worth a nice few quid.

You really think that an extra 3000 max supporters at each and every home game is any where near enough to even start work on a new stadium when the 8000 on average we pull in now is barely enough to break even, if that? The sums just don't add up I'm afraid. 3000 x £21.00 = £61,000. A drop in the financial ocean of what would, and is, necessary to even begin to get a project like a new stadium off the ground.

Factor in the extra £2 million plus from tv and other areas we could expect to make if we were in the CCC and this is still no where near to being enough to finance a move. The only way a move could come about would be by financial investment from outside the football club and with that comes extortionately high architects, lawyers and planners fees.

Incidentally, if this £1m that's supposedly been spent already on FF had come directly from the coffers of the club via gate receipts etc then I could perhaps have some sympathy with your opinion but seeing as it's most definitely come as part of the exterior funding that's been made available as part of the overall FF budget then I'm afraid I have to beg to differ.

Oh, and we all know the contracts that players sign with clubs are not worth the paper there written on. If Robinson had signed a three year deal and been the absolute poodles goolies for us then some other club would have snapped him up and bought out his contract, it's a fact of footballing life now. Contracts are not designed to keep players at the club. They are designed and drawn up to earn extra revenue for the club should that player be sought by a bigger club with the financial clout to buy him out.

. Contracts are not designed to keep players at the club. They are designed and drawn up to earn extra revenue for the club should that player be sought by a bigger club with the financial clout to buy him out.

Ah... thats why we gave Barrett a 5 year contract.

Ah... thats why we gave Barrett a 5 year contract.

Barrett is one of the those rare exceptions to the rule. He's Southend United through and through and I think it's generally excepted that he's of an average CCC standard. Don't get me wrong I love the guy and all he's done and brings to the squad and he's happy here. I'd even go so far as to say they even if he should be offered a contract to play at a higher level he'd turn it down.

Do you not agree though that with the higher calibre of players that have graced the turf of Roots Hall the contracts they have signed are ultimately worthless when it comes to actually keeping them at the club for the full terms of that contract?

Incidentally, if this £1m that's supposedly been spent already on FF had come directly from the coffers of the club via gate receipts etc then I could perhaps have some sympathy with your opinion but seeing as it's most definitely come as part of the exterior funding that's been made available as part of the overall FF budget then I'm afraid I have to beg to differ.

... or was it our tax money ?

Football fans are the most fickle on this planet and in general are not stupid..Roots Hall being packed to the rafters would generate more revenue which could be used to fund FF.
This wouldnt be the case though, Ron has already stated that we cannot break even a Roots Hall even if we get capacity crowd every home game.

The club should of signed Robinson early doors
We tried to sign him and he wanted to come, but then he went on holiday and his agent spoke to Brighton and Swindon who pushed up his price and then moneybags Huddersfield came in and trumped everyone.
as his fee would not have been 300k maybe 200k,Now assuming the club signed him and say sell 1000 shirts with Robinsons name emblazoned on the back
I'm sorry but there ablsolutely no chance of 1000 shirts being sold with just Robinsons name on, a couple of hundred max.
equals 40k
As quoted elsewhere we dont get £40 per shirt, even if we owned the shop there is not £40 profit in a football shirt
returned in addition the guy could of possibly added another 3/4/5pts to our current total.The bonus prize being if Robinson was tied into a 3 year deal and did the business and hey presto an asset worth a nice few quid.give you this but even £200k is a huge risk for the club especially in our state and we're not sure that if he did sign he'd score as many goals for us just remember Gary Hooper, Charlie McDonald etc

Do you really think it was a bad business idea to use a partner for the shop ? It means we dont have to pay out wages, business rates, power bills and yet we get money for doing nothing. This company also does the same thing for Ebbsfleet which i used to be a member of and even for them with crowds of 800 they got a very good deal and a monthly cheque for doing nothing.

You really think that an extra 3000 max supporters at each and every home game is any where near enough to even start work on a new stadium when the 8000 on average we pull in now is barely enough to break even, if that? The sums just don't add up I'm afraid. 3000 x £21.00 = £61,000. A drop in the financial ocean of what would, and is, necessary to even begin to get a project like a new stadium off the ground.

Factor in the extra £2 million plus from tv and other areas we could expect to make if we were in the CCC and this is still no where near to being enough to finance a move. The only way a move could come about would be by financial investment from outside the football club and with that comes extortionately high architects, lawyers and planners fees.

Oh, and we all know the contracts that players sign with clubs are not worth the paper there written on. If Robinson had signed a three year deal and been the absolute poodles goolies for us then some other club would have snapped him up and bought out his contract, it's a fact of footballing life now. Contracts are not designed to keep players at the club. They are designed and drawn up to earn extra revenue for the club should that player be sought by a bigger club with the financial clout to buy him out.

61k x 23 =nearly 1.4 million over your supposed 4 years equals around 5.6 million then add 4 years of TV money another 8 million..total nearly 14million?..These are after all your theories..Not mine.

Regarding the supposed 1 million..RM actually stated 900k had been spent on the project.

Regarding Robinson that is the aim of many small club as ourselves to tie players to longish deals and hope for a nice transfer fee.

Do you really think it was a bad business idea to use a partner for the shop ? It means we dont have to pay out wages, business rates, power bills and yet we get money for doing nothing. This company also does the same thing for Ebbsfleet which i used to be a member of and even for them with crowds of 800 they got a very good deal and a monthly cheque for doing nothing.

I was taught..Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

Hire a manager to run the shop,He/she hires 1 or 2 staff(profits permitting)and hey presto even if the club earnt an extra £1000 per year..An extra grand is better than a kick up the jacksy.

Back