• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

9/11

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
With the remembrance of that awful day 10 years ago looming close, what are peoples thoughts looking back. We have had numerous conspiracy theories and film archive revealed since that day and IMO this one takes a lot of beating.

[video=youtube;28QukKjwLtI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28QukKjwLtI[/video]

Over to you people.

I remember the day well... sat in the library at school (Southend Girl's) watching it unfold. The bell went for the end of the day, no-one moved.

Eventually got home, switched TV on carried on watching.

Got a call from the girlfriend at the time who was upset as her nan, in Ireland was in her final hours, so went round. We watched more TV together, then got the call.

The mixture of such a monumental international tragedy was strangely contrasted by such a quiet, personal tragedy. Both were incredibly sad but in such different ways.

--
Went visit Ground Zero over Christmas/NYE last year. Amazingly powerful. Can't recall the name of the church next door but the tributes there, including the burnt fireman's suit were immensely touching.

I think Bloomberg is making a massive mistake not inviting the current heroes alongside the families of the fallen heroes.

I'll have Springsteen's album The Rising on Sunday. Brilliant summation of things.

--
Regarding conspiracy theories... I'm not a taker, sorry.

I was round Dick Devigne's (DDV'S) house having tea..when we turned the TV on..I still can't take in what we saw and were glued to for the next 4 hours.

I so want to go there and just take a few minutes thoughts for those that lost there lives.

Watched a programme on firefighters that were there that day,so very sad watching people who still now, have not come to terms with the attack,heartbreaking stuff.

Watched a programme on firefighters that were there that day,so very sad watching people who still now, have not come to terms with the attack,heartbreaking stuff.

I watched that too, thought it was incredible. Immense respect to those guys. They knew that the chances of them all making it out alive were slim, but they still went in regardless.

I was round Dick Devigne's (DDV'S) house having tea..when we turned the TV on..I still can't take in what we saw and were glued to for the next 4 hours.

I so want to go there and just take a few minutes thoughts for those that lost there lives.

If you get over there, visit the chapel of St Paul's. I think it used to be George Washington's place of worship, but some stuff here explains what it is filled with now: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20040912/ai_n11473095/

I watched that too, thought it was incredible. Immense respect to those guys. They knew that the chances of them all making it out alive were slim, but they still went in regardless.

Agreed GBJ,brave men with incredible drive to help folk,God bless them all.

I went up to the top of the Tower ( not sure which one ) in 1997 and phone back to England from the highest public phone in the world. Always wondered what happened to the young girl who sorted out the call and also the young Mexican lift attendant who took us to the top.

Tragedy.

It sparked off a huge debate on twitter and faceache today,....that in itself speaks volumes to me....

Remember the day vividly, however I certainly don't think there's any conspiracy behind it.

It sparked off a huge debate on twitter and faceache today,....that in itself speaks volumes to me....

The "Truth Movement", lead by Dylan Avery grows in thousands every year, but even with their documentaries and numerous petitions, they have very little chance of getting 9/11 reinvestigated by an independent source.

Shame, as there are many many points that need clearing up (one way or another) and ONLY an independent investigation could uncover the truth / put to rest these theories.

Remember the day vividly, however I certainly don't think there's any conspiracy behind it.

Have you watched Loose Change? The reason I say this, is because I felt the same up until about 2 years ago. I've sat through hours of stuff about 9/11, and my opinion has changed completely. As much as you may not (want to) believe it, why not give it a go?

I was at work and chatting on the phone to someone who said he'd just heard on the radio that a "light" plane had flown into the first tower. I switched the office tv on and it was obvious it wasn't a light plane, and then to my horror the second plane hit. Work took a back seat as we were then glued to the tv watching the other events unfold.

As has already been stated here the bravery of the NY Fire & Police was utterly incredible, and while many sacrified their lives they may well have saved many more in turn.

Interesting to read this today: mmflint.me/p3RkYZ

It's an extract from Michael Moore's new book on his reaction to the war post-9/11 and obviously reaction to Fahrenheit 9/11. Whether you agree or not with MM, how Glenn Beck got away with those comments baffles.

Agree so whole heatedly with all the comments about NY emergency services that day, unbelievable bravery. I read a story the other day about a priest who entered the Towers to offer support, many fireman (some like 80%+ are Catholic) came to him, asked for absolution before heading upwards to their deaths.

I know the situation dictates the actions, I'd love to think I'd do the same, but I honestly don't know how those men and women did it. RIP heroes.

I watched it unfold at work where virtually the whole company seemed to crowd round the smallish telly they had back then. It was terrible watching both the towers collapse live on the BBC.

I had to phone my parents to tell them to switch the TV on, and my mum in turn called my her cousin as her son was working near the Twin Towers at the time. Thankfully he reported in safe, but he had to walk for several hours to get home.

Missed it all completely. Was with my lad at home and had the forerunner of BBC3 on, BBC Choice, which during the day had non-stop kids tv. The afternoon was spent watching Tweenies, Bodger & Badger, ChuckleVision, Balamory, etc, completely oblivious to it. A brief channel hop brought images of the burning towers but, as it was BBC1, I thought it was just one of those old, obscure made-for-tv films that Channel 5 shove on now, so quickly hopped back. It wasn't until the ex got in from work and BBC Choice finished, at 7pm, switching over to Channel 4 News, that I even had a vague idea what had gone on.

I'm quite pleased really. I wouldn't have liked to try to explain to a 5 year old why those planes were crashing into the tower and killing thousands of people before his very eyes.

Was helping out in school for the afternoon, didn't know a thing about it until I came out to the gate at the end of the day to see an absolute sea of shocked faces, speaking in hushed voices - all very surreal for a normal end of day. When I got home, probably like many people, I was transfixed at the sight of what was going on and watched the tv for hours in disbelief that such an atrocity could be wrought on innocent people by other human beings. Still beggars belief now.

I'm not a believer of conspiracy theories, not this and not the moon landings. I AM however a strong believer in the strength and fortitude of the people who risked their own lives as part of the ongoing rescue scenes which broadcast alongside the destruction. These brave people are/were the best example of everything that is right in mankind, an inspiration and example to us all. RIP to all who died, long may their memory live on.

Back