• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agree it was a fabulous strike and I am still gobsmacked, but I believe the only reason that he shot was that he didn't know what else to do with the ball - mind you it was a great decision in the end!!

I love the guy and his strike was exceptional but best goal ever -don't think so?!

I disagree there. About 4 times in the game, Bilel put a ball through for a runner to latch onto, a couple of balls were a bit heavy, a couple were good. This is the type of ball we have been crying out for at Roots Hall for a long time, not sionce Maher has that type of pass has been used. It's the kind of ball that Harris woyuld thrive off.

Searle's was a good finish but to this day I still don't think he meant it so it had a slice of luck about it...
Do what? What was he trying to do then? :smile:

[video=youtube;3POKvnz4khU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3POKvnz4khU[/video]

Most similar goal to that one was down the other end but was Paul Byrne's against Norwich.

Like Byrne's, Bilel's goal will be five yards further back every time it's brought up!

You beat me to it, Paul Byrne's full volley from 85 yards out is always the Roots Hall goal I remember.

Also didn't Andy Sussex score one very similar to Bilel Mohsni; at home to Tranmere, circa early 90's.

You beat me to it, Paul Byrne's full volley from 85 yards out is always the Roots Hall goal I remember.

Also didn't Andy Sussex score one very similar to Bilel Mohsni; at home to Tranmere, circa early 90's.

I can remember seeing a boring 0-0 draw at home to Tranmere on a freezing friday night in '91 I think.So it clearly wasn't that game.:smile:

Eastwood's goal against Oxford, when he picked it up on the left wing cut across their whole defence before cutting back inside from the corner of the 18 yard area and smashing it home was probably the best goal I have seen at Roots Hall.

I've always liked Eastwood's goal at home to Blackpool in our title season, he got it out wide and cut inside, dummying about 3 of their defenders before slotting home.
[video=youtube;D8olv7Dh6c0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8olv7Dh6c0[/video]
If we're talking about screamers then Freddy had plenty. Honourable mention also to Leon Clarke's chipped goal too.

Nathan Jones scored a pretty special goal vs Cheltenham in 2000, last game of the season. Ran from the half way line and snaked his way around half of the Cheltenham team before slotting home.

Owen Simpson around 1969, coincidentally against Northampton, a left footed shot from all of 40 yards into the North Bank goal. Although the way Owen tells it, it was from at least 10 yards inside our half.

Although not at Roots Hall but a goal by a central defender, Peter Clarke at Orient 3 years ago.

The goal that sticks in my mind is a goal by Andy Ford at home to Grimsby in either 1974 or 1975. He got the ball somewhere near the end of the pier, nipped on a train, dribbled in through all four carriages, beating 16 OAPs on a day out from Forest Gate. He then dribbled it up (yes up) Pier Hill and into Tomassi's and the Cotgrove Fish Restaurant at the same time, whilst whistling the Funky Gibbon. Next, indulging in a bit of keepy-uppy, he roller-skated down the High Street, into Dixons (which is now WH Smith) rented a portable TV and cartridge player, and nutmegged a wino before sprinting down Victoria Avenue, nipping in for a swift pint in the Blue Boar, entering Roots Hall beating every Grimsby player, leaving them all on the fat northern asses, before planting an unstoppable 265 yarder into the back of the net from the back terace of the South Bank.

We then sold him to Swindon.

The goal that sticks in my mind is a goal by Andy Ford at home to Grimsby in either 1974 or 1975. He got the ball somewhere near the end of the pier, nipped on a train, dribbled in through all four carriages, beating 16 OAPs on a day out from Forest Gate. He then dribbled it up (yes up) Pier Hill and into Tomassi's and the Cotgrove Fish Restaurant at the same time, whilst whistling the Funky Gibbon. Next, indulging in a bit of keepy-uppy, he roller-skated down the High Street, into Dixons (which is now WH Smith) rented a portable TV and cartridge player, and nutmegged a wino before sprinting down Victoria Avenue, nipping in for a swift pint in the Blue Boar, entering Roots Hall beating every Grimsby player, leaving them all on the fat northern asses, before planting an unstoppable 265 yarder into the back of the net from the back terace of the South Bank.

:smile: I remember that, but it was the North Bank.

Best goal I've seen at the Hall and I saw that free kick. 30+ yards and only one thing in his mind and he pulled it off, perfectly in the corner.

Don't exaggerate. It was only 200 yards.

Also, didn't Leo Roget score a similar (to Mohsni's) 90 yard belter against Kidderminster in a 1-1 draw about 10 years ago?

I disagree there. About 4 times in the game, Bilel put a ball through for a runner to latch onto, a couple of balls were a bit heavy, a couple were good. This is the type of ball we have been crying out for at Roots Hall for a long time, not sionce Maher has that type of pass has been used. It's the kind of ball that Harris woyuld thrive off.

I hardly ever remember Maher making that kind of pass to be honest. There were some but nowhere near as many as there should have been.

Don't exaggerate. It was only 200 yards.

Also, didn't Leo Roget score a similar (to Mohsni's) 90 yard belter against Kidderminster in a 1-1 draw about 10 years ago?

Not sure it was so far out, but I do seem to remember Leo being angrier than usual thanks to a controversial Maher sending off and he certainly gave the ball one hell of a thump.

Some goal,i was there the move started 5mins into the game and the goal was given as scored in the 42 minute,great days.

Sky's Netbusters top 5 of the weekend featured 3rd place Akinfenwa, 2nd Hally and 1st Bilel.

Will be the only time little old Southend get a clip in all top 3 shots. Every time i see Hallys goal, it is actually a much better strike than i first realised (obviously no where near as good as Bilels)!

Just for the record, Bilels is the best goal ive seen at Roots Hall off the floor travelling towards goal. Brynes against Norwich was the best goal using the outside of his foot (i still remember being a kid in the South Lower watching that outrageous bend), Marsh's vs Ipswich is my most memorable goal - technique and more and then remember singing 'Ronnie Whelans Barmy Army for the whole half.

The memories...

Of course, best free kick is Freddy's...Best header, tough one, Hal Robson Kanus vs Swansea was pure quality.

In all honesty, choosing an ultimate out of all them is hard, there has been some other great goals also. Leos rocket against Kiddy, i also remember him scoring a rocket against Torquay in the cup (or was it Swindon).

Phil Gridelet vs West Brom back in the mid 90's, Dave Regis against West Brom just for his pace and menacing advance in the one v one situation. Tilly volley vs Grimsby...I fancy finding the old videos now and just watching!

What a load of old rambling nonesense above :zzzzz:

Back