• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Director Of Football

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
What you you guys think to SUFC having a director of football who ONLY was used by Tilson to get the targets he wanted in. Somebody who is a wheeler dealer who does not get involved with the team in anyway and just used a a negotiator and somebody who can charm players to us?

Though I must stress whoever was chosen would not have ANY say in the team or coaching.

What you you guys think to SUFC having a director of football who ONLY was used by Tilson to get the targets he wanted in. Somebody who is a wheeler dealer who does not get involved with the team in anyway and just used a a negotiator and somebody who can charm players to us?

Though I must stress whoever was chosen would not have ANY say in the team or coaching.

Isn't that what a Chairman does at our level. Manager targets, passes over to Chairman to work out the finances and seek to do a deal on wages and contract terms ?

Isn't that what a Chairman does at our level. Manager targets, passes over to Chairman to work out the finances and seek to do a deal on wages and contract terms ?

No Chairman at any level should be making it their duty to identify targets from a footballing perspective....negotiating contracts yes, but indentifying in the first instance...most certainly not.

No Chairman at any level should be making it their duty to identify targets from a footballing perspective....negotiating contracts yes, but indentifying in the first instance...most certainly not.

Sorry did I suggest that ??? If I did, it would be error, but cannot recall having done so. Best check your facts from the thread above ??

Are you volunteering? ;)

What PB doesn't know about football league players, is probably not worth knowing. We already have 1st class professionals on the job.

It perhaps wouldn't be that bad an idea to have an experience head helping out with that sort of thing I suppose. It might help the management concentrate on dealing with the players we've already got and sorting them out.

I did wonder though, whether Colin West will have any input into who we might be after from his experience? He's certainly far more involved with the first team than Dean Austin ever was. It's almost as if we've got 2 assistant managers on matchday now.

how bout do what everton have done and use the computer. fifa 09 and football manager are good ways of sussing out young talent! im telling you it's all about the young brazilian danilinho. top prospect

We tried this a few years ago when we got Peter Storrie in and it cost us a lot of money and didnt work so I dont think thats the answer.

Absolutely not.

Look at the top teams, Tottenham have so many levels of hierarchy and what do they ever achieve?

2 of the most succesful teams of the last decade are ManUre and Arsenal, and although i am not 100% certain, I would imagine Ferguson and Wenger has total control over every thing that happens.

Surely we dont need another level and another wage to find.

We tried this a few years ago when we got Peter Storrie in and it cost us a lot of money and didnt work so I dont think thats the answer.

What was his official role again? I can't remember. All that I remember was that we were paying him £125,000 a year and he was a tit.

If I was Tilly I'd be watching over my shoulders though. Colin West has previous for, shall we say, physically confronting managers when he disagreed with them. On no accounts ever ask him about the 1985 League Cup Final if you want your face to stay intact.

I would like Tilson to be given this role and see Ian Holloway come in as our manager. I cannot believe this guy is still out of work, a quality manager!

I would like Tilson to be given this role and see Ian Holloway come in as our manager. I cannot believe this guy is still out of work, a quality manager!

We have a quality manager and assistant. Don't really gaive a monkeys how good or bad other other out of work managers may or not be.

Sometimes better the devils you know and love and unemployed managers may not be on the sidelines for nowt reason.

Last edited:
All you have to do is look at the Spurs situation to realise this is an awful suggestion. Since Comeli has come into the Club, Spurs have spent around £170million on players, and there has been some dross brought in. There is an article in the Mirror about it today.

The best managers in the game are ones who identify the players they want and leave it to the Chairmen to do the donkey work with fees, wages, contracts etc which is the same situation we have at the moment.

Isn't Denis Wise a "Director of Football"? Enough of a reason not to have one I'd have thought.

Back