• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Great Keeper Gordon Banks Remembered

The other 2 ? Bobby Moore and Ray Wilson..
Not Bobby Charlton??

RIP..the greatest BRITISH keeper ever.
Did see him play once at Wembley for England when were world champions
Always seemed a gentleman....like Bob Wilson and Pat Jennings...RIP great man

Englands if not the Worlds greatest keeper,would be nice if Englands next home game whoever our keeper is could wear the plain yellow jersey and the same shorts and socks as the team, as imo it should be, in memory of the best. RIP

Not Bobby Charlton??

RIP..the greatest BRITISH keeper ever.
Did see him play once at Wembley for England when were world champions
Always seemed a gentleman....like Bob Wilson and Pat Jennings...RIP great man
Of course Bobby Charlton.
They were the three names synonymous with English football after the 1966 World Cup, not just in England but worldwide...
Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton and Gordon Banks.

Of course Bobby Charlton.
They were the three names synonymous with English football after the 1966 World Cup, not just in England but worldwide...
Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton and Gordon Banks.
NO! Definitely not Charlton-a vastly overrated player-yes,he scored a lot of spectacular goals from a long way out-but you have to consider his overall contributions,especially the hundreds and hundreds of hopelessly unnecessary attempts which went nowhere near the goal.
As already said,Jimmy Greaves certainly ranked with Moore and Banks,and Ray Wilson was definitely best of the rest. I think some of Charlton’s “fame” spilt over from playing alongside two Manure greats,Law and Best.
Though I only saw the World Cup on tv, I did get to Wembley to see more than a few England games in that era.

NO! Definitely not Charlton-a vastly overrated player-yes,he scored a lot of spectacular goals from a long way out-but you have to consider his overall contributions,especially the hundreds and hundreds of hopelessly unnecessary attempts which went nowhere near the goal.
As already said,Jimmy Greaves certainly ranked with Moore and Banks,and Ray Wilson was definitely best of the rest. I think some of Charlton’s “fame” spilt over from playing alongside two Manure greats,Law and Best.
Though I only saw the World Cup on tv, I did get to Wembley to see more than a few England games in that era.
Oh now you mention it, I remember thinking how rubbish Bobby Charlton was when scoring those goals in the World Cup semi-final against Portugal and those two goals in a never to be forgotten 1968 European cup final against Benfica.
In fact to only score 49 goals in 106 games for England as a MIDFIELDER, I mean, I ask you...

Here are a couple of pictures from the Southend Standard following the Chesterfield game at Roots Hall played on 17/01/59.

I was to young to watch the final live but I have seen the full match since. Correct me if I'm wrong but it would seem to me that Germany detailed their best player, Franz Beckenbauer to mark Bobby Charlton rather than Ray Wilson.

yes true
Beckenbauer was told to "mark" Englands best-most influential player Sir Bobby.
Sir Bobby was told by Sir Alf to do the same to FB.
Both never knew that till long after the game ended
Both "snuffed" each other out

What was the date of the game?

Were there not two matches vs Stoke for Tony Bentley ?

Farmer was at Stoke for a long while and could have played in either/both.

Lawrie Leslie could have played in only the first one.

(Lawrie Leslie's career ran to some 332 matches (including 13 for Southend) which is remarkable given his propensity to break limbs - a trait which started early in life when he was run over by a truck and nearly lost the ability to walk!)

Oh now you mention it, I remember thinking how rubbish Bobby Charlton was when scoring those goals in the World Cup semi-final against Portugal and those two goals in a never to be forgotten 1968 European cup final against Benfica.
In fact to only score 49 goals in 106 games for England as a MIDFIELDER, I mean, I ask you...
I didn’t say he was rubbish.......vastly overrated.
It’s really stretching it,calling Charlton a midfielder-a mid-fielder being a player who strives to pass the ball to someone in a better position and wins possession,usually by competing strongly and winning tackles! In those days a midfielder was a wing-half,wearing 4 and 6 and one or both of the inside-forwards,wearing 8 or 10.
Charlton was always a FORWARD. He started his England career at CENTRE-FORWARD,wearing 9.
He scored quite a few of his goals then-many in one-sided wins over the numerous ,very weak teams of that time- then later continued his international career at OUTSIDE-LEFT,wearing 11.
His record of 49 goals in 106 games does seem quite good,but there were far more goals per game back then. It’s best to compare it with that of a really good forward player; Jimmy Greaves scored 44 in his 55 England appearances.

I didn’t say he was rubbish.......vastly overrated.
It’s really stretching it,calling Charlton a midfielder-a mid-fielder being a player who strives to pass the ball to someone in a better position and wins possession,usually by competing strongly and winning tackles! In those days a midfielder was a wing-half,wearing 4 and 6 and one or both of the inside-forwards,wearing 8 or 10.
Charlton was always a FORWARD. He started his England career at CENTRE-FORWARD,wearing 9.
He scored quite a few of his goals then-many in one-sided wins over the numerous ,very weak teams of that time- then later continued his international career at OUTSIDE-LEFT,wearing 11.
His record of 49 goals in 106 games does seem quite good,but there were far more goals per game back then. It’s best to compare it with that of a really good forward player; Jimmy Greaves scored 44 in his 55 England appearances.

Not like nowadays then. Rooney scored virtually 10% of all his England goals against San Marino and another 20% against very weak teams including Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein and Scotland.

Back