• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Great Keeper Gordon Banks Remembered

2nd game, rightly mentioned above was 18th May, 1972.....both Gordon Banks & John Farmer are listed in the programme...being a testimonial, I'm not sure if either one, or both , played a part................:Unsure:

Not like nowadays then. Rooney scored virtually 10% of all his England goals against San Marino and another 20% against very weak teams including Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein and Scotland.
Yes. But back in the 50’s and 60’s Scotland were a very good team,so I was fortunate to be at Wembley in 1961 to see a Haynes-Greaves-Robson inspired England thrash them 9-3.Charlton played in the forward-line at outside-left and failed to score.

Were there not two matches vs Stoke for Tony Bentley ?

Farmer was at Stoke for a long while and could have played in either/both.

Lawrie Leslie could have played in only the first one.

(Lawrie Leslie's career ran to some 332 matches (including 13 for Southend) which is remarkable given his propensity to break limbs - a trait which started early in life when he was run over by a truck and nearly lost the ability to walk!)
Thinking back I am sure that Lawrie played for Southend against Stoke , if I remember right there is a picture of both teams before kickoff , I think it was in a Southend hand book and Lawrie is standing in his kit in the front of the photo .

So Bobby Charlton wasn't world class, but Peter Thompson was.
Do me a favour.

Thinking back I am sure that Lawrie played for Southend against Stoke , if I remember right there is a picture of both teams before kickoff , I think it was in a Southend hand book and Lawrie is standing in his kit in the front of the photo .
Correct Simon, Handbook from 1972-73(page 55) shows Lawrie Leslie in his kit alongside Frank Walton also in the photo is John Roberts so maybe they both played.

Were there not two matches vs Stoke for Tony Bentley ?

Farmer was at Stoke for a long while and could have played in either/both.

Lawrie Leslie could have played in only the first one.

(Lawrie Leslie's career ran to some 332 matches (including 13 for Southend) which is remarkable given his propensity to break limbs - a trait which started early in life when he was run over by a truck and nearly lost the ability to walk!)
According to the match programme for the first Tony Bentley Testimonial Lawrie Leslie was in goal for Stoke City that night. I also believe both John Ritchie & Harry Burrows played in both May '66 & May '72.?

Back