• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
Having been to each of the games since and including Cardiff (bar Yeovil), I've noticed a bit of a pattern to our play and think this could be key to the result on Saturday.

Sad to say, Eastwood has looked a bit tired recently and I completely understand as this is his first full season in professional football. This isn't to say he's played badly, though, it's more a reflection that it's harder for him to take on two or three men and hit a scorcher as he was doing so frequently earlier in the season.

Sadly, this seems to be where we're falling down tactically now. Without Eastwood's spontaneous magic and with Gower's indifferent form, we look very short of creativity. So, fair enough, if you're creative players are struggling, knock the ball around and try and work an opening through knocking the ball round.

This is where the tactical difference of the opposition seems to be key. In every game except Macclesfield, you could see the opposition had been told to keep one man tight and one man loose on Eastwood. This either forces him deeper and deeper or holds play up for the rest of the team to get back. In addition, the two central midfielders have been on instructions to close Maher down quickly. By doing this, they reduce our fluidity across the midfield massively, particularly as our tactics involve Kev seeing so much of the ball.

In stark contrast, Macclesfield started with their usual 3-5-2 formation giving Eastwood plenty of room on the flanks to pick the ball up and run and on another day, he'd have put at least one of his efforts in. Second half saw them change to 4-4-2 but still very little pressure on the midfield was allowing us to knock it round them with ease. In addition, their back four was poorly drilled and it was obvious that one side had a wingback and the other a centre back. It was a gap created by this problem that gave McCormack room to run in to and score.

I think what it seems to boil down to is whether the opposition press Maher and Eastwood and make it difficult for them to play. By doing this, they ask questions of the rest of the team and sadly, we've been wanting. If Gower was on form, we'd have no problems. Play the ball out to him, offer a different threat and he should have plenty of room to play in. Similarly with Guttridge. I think if Luke was match fit he'd be able to play a creative role.

Sadly recently, with Eastwood marked and the midfield hampered by constant pressing, we've resorted to long balls too much. Whilst Gray tries manfully and his sheer determination often wins him balls against bigger opposition, Eastwood is not a target man and most defenders at this level are good enough in the air to deal with our long balls. Not only that, we're not particularly good at them.

As a result, I can only really see a few ways we'll win at Grimsby...

a) Gower has a good game
b) The long balls are hit at Bentley
c) We get a lucky break
d) Grimsby don't press Maher/Eastwood

Can't believe how much this game's taking over my life! Virtually all I think about is the game at the moment. I really hope we avoid the playoffs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 04 2005,11:02)]a) Gower has a good game
c) We get a lucky break

Can't believe how much this game's taking over my life!  Virtually all I think about is the game at the moment.  I really hope we avoid the playoffs.
a) When was his last good game?
b) if selected

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 04 2005,11:12)]
[b said:
c) We get a lucky break

Can't believe how much this game's taking over my life! Virtually all I think about is the game at the moment. I really hope we avoid the playoffs.
a) When was his last good game?
b) if selected
I never said that we will have one of those come true. Just the only way I feel we can win.

I think Bentley has to start. I'm glad Tilly persisted with Guttridge and McCormack but Oxford really seemed to show that the team without Bentley doesn't have nearly enough aerial presence. On top of that, at Oxford, The number of times their Argentinian defensive midfielder picked the ball up unchallenged after defensive headers was ridiculous. He wouldn't get away with it with Bentley there.

As for Gower, well, I thought he looked dangerous at Orient. Apart from that, I agree, but we have to hope and at least we know he's capable of turning the game if he can just get that bit of confidence or a lucky break.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 04 2005,11:12)]
[b said:
c) We get a lucky break

Can't believe how much this game's taking over my life!  Virtually all I think about is the game at the moment.  I really hope we avoid the playoffs.
a) When was his last  good game?
b) if selected
Sure this has been covered but I have been too depressed to read much lately but why didn't Bentley start Saturday?

I don't know why Beno wasn't picked, but the key to his play is the amount of running he does and, crucially, the number of "late" runs he makes into the box. Think of, for example, his goal against Bristol Rovers... people tend not to pick up his late runs into the box - and it's this weapon, together with his running generally (which stretches defences and leaves holes for Fredy & Wayne to exploit) which mean that he absolutely has to start on Saturday.

Frankly, if there's one man to be dropped... it's Petts. He's really short of form at the moment, a shadow of the player he has been at his best. I'd like to see us line up like this:

Flahavan

Jupp Prior Barrett Wilson

Guttridge Bentley Maher Gower

Gray Eastwood

Duds on for Gutts and Gray wide right after 50 minutes if we're still goalless. That's what I'd do, at any rate.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 04 2005,15:07)]I'd like to see us line up like this:

Flahavan

Jupp          Prior      Barrett     Wilson

Guttridge   Bentley   Maher      Gower

Gray      Eastwood

Duds on for Gutts and Gray wide right after 50 minutes if we're still goalless.  That's what I'd do, at any rate.

Matt
YUP!! I second that motion!

I agree with MtS about Bentley's running being key. Bentley is the only one who regularly runs. On a good day Maher trots about, on a bad day he'll stroll, but Bentley will sprint and is a player who doesn't just go through the motions. That's critical in a defensive role winning the ball back and also in attack where he is either carrying the ball forward at speed, or running off the ball and creating space.

Line up -

Flavs

Jupp      Barrett       Prior      Wilson

Petts     Bentley      Maher    Gutts

Gray         Eastwood

That's the team for me. It seems to work quite well as you have 2 attacking players in Gutts and Bentley and when they bomb forward then petts can tuck in the middle with Maher to keep the middle tight, but hey what do I know?
cool.gif

Don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere, but i would have had Nicky on the bench, as cover for Gower/Petts. Defensively he's limited, but at least he can get crosses over from the left. After Yeovil went ahead, we created nothing by way of pressure or equaliser.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 04 2005,15:07)]I don't know why Beno wasn't picked, but the key to his play is the amount of running he does and, crucially, the number of "late" runs he makes into the box.  Think of, for example, his goal against Bristol Rovers... people tend not to pick up his late runs into the box - and it's this weapon, together with his running generally (which stretches defences and leaves holes for Fredy & Wayne to exploit) which mean that he absolutely has to start on Saturday.

Frankly, if there's one man to be dropped... it's Petts.  He's really short of form at the moment, a shadow of the player he has been at his best.  I'd like to see us line up like this:

Flahavan

Jupp          Prior      Barrett     Wilson

Guttridge   Bentley   Maher      Gower

Gray      Eastwood

Duds on for Gutts and Gray wide right after 50 minutes if we're still goalless.  That's what I'd do, at any rate.

Matt
Spot on!

Guttridge looked good at Oxford and in the Yeovil game.

I think the main reason Tilly played Guttridge was because his a better passer of the ball then Beno. One of the ways to beat Yeovil would be to stretch them by switching the play at pace. Guttridge and Maher can both do that. Also, Guttridge is more creative than Beno, possibly another reason why he started with him.

I'm hoping that Beno comes straight back into the side for the Grimsby game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ May 04 2005,15:24)]I agree with MtS about Bentley's running being key. Bentley is the only one who regularly runs. On a good day Maher trots about, on a bad day he'll stroll, but Bentley will sprint and is a player who doesn't just go through the motions. That's critical in a defensive role winning the ball back and also in attack where he is either carrying the ball forward at speed, or running off the ball and creating space.
Surely you are not saying that Maher goes through the motions ? At least I hope you are not !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GNH @ May 04 2005,15:34)]Line up -

Flavs

Jupp Barrett Prior Wilson

Petts Bentley Maher Gutts

Gray Eastwood

That's the team for me. It seems to work quite well as you have 2 attacking players in Gutts and Bentley and when they bomb forward then petts can tuck in the middle with Maher to keep the middle tight, but hey what do I know?
cool.gif
You forgot to put Bramble in ...

wink.gif

Back