• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Academy being closed down

What part of the post you quoted don't you understand?
Perhaps i didnt make myself clear. I was asking if historically it has been a profit or loss making venture. I was specifically asking YB this as he more often then not has a good grasp on these things.

Last edited:
Perhaps i didnt make myself clear. I was asking if historically it has been a profit or loss making venture. I was specifically asking YB this as he more often then not has a good grasp on these things.

I don’t know the cost nor the income. I know it generated some significant income (Bentley, Payne, K Ferdinand, Sayers, Kelman, Yearwood, etc) but even those were for undisclosed fees and we don’t know the full extent of sell-ons.

I don’t even know how you’d measure it. Would you include Henry Sandat’s salary this season as an expense of the academy? Would you count the years Elvis gave us on a well below market deal as a saving or expense?

I don’t know the cost nor the income. I know it generated some significant income (Bentley, Payne, K Ferdinand, Sayers, Kelman, Yearwood, etc) but even those were for undisclosed fees and we don’t know the full extent of sell-ons.

I don’t even know how you’d measure it. Would you include Henry Sandat’s salary this season as an expense of the academy? Would you count the years Elvis gave us on a well below market deal as a saving or expense?
I tried to explain some of this back in 2020:
http://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/...em-and-compensation-thread.89258/post-2301793

Good! The money needs to be spent elsewhere,and when have we produced a decent player since jack Payne? And don't say a goal keeper as the majority have been decent
The Academy isn't just about bringing players through to the first team, there are also significant transfers that go on at that level. Young players are signed by bigger clubs and there are sell-ons as well... plus as an EFL club we would be entitled to compensation if a player left and a fee couldn't be agreed.

But yes, I tend to agree that there is little point in having it at the moment as it would be a financial drain.

Steve Nash giving Southend fans a wave from Southend airport lol 😂

Fundamentally, the EPPP funding model has rendered having an academy unprofitable. Gone are the days where clubs such as ours could bring young players through and sell them on to keep the club going.

The money would be better spent elsewhere, hasn't done Brentford any harm.
I know this is not popular to give ron any credit but he was one of the very few chairman who voted against the EPPP model, which came with the solidarity payment “bribe” ( source Tara Brady and league chairman/president at time- can’t recall his name)

Do undisclosed fees appear in the accounts? (When we used to actually do accounts)
There is just total trading profit or loss. So difficult to identify individual fees, especially as normally paid over extended period or triggered by events.

Wasn't the funding after relegation £1m for the first year and £500k for the second year. If correct a significant investment
Yes our cat 2 academy is rumoured to cost around £1 million a season, Robbie Cowling would like to make grade one status eventually! We have several young lads getting attention from big clubs so you never know we might make a profit!

That lad we sold to West Ham a few years ago... Justin Osagie is now at Celtic (poor bugger), playing for their B team. Also in the Ireland youth set up. Wonder if we could be due any money based on future clauses?

There is just total trading profit or loss. So difficult to identify individual fees, especially as normally paid over extended period or triggered by events.
It’s not about the cost and financial implications for me, whilst it’s probably the reason for closing the academy. It’s got to be about the production line of young prospects.
Sorry for quoting Bromley once again but as you may already be aware I have connections. They currently have 2 former academy players regularly in the first team, one 18yoa and the other 21yoa. Plus 3 others within the first team squad, all under 20yoa and have a number of games under belts already this season. The Chairman and Manager have a clear approach with young players and are also attracting youngsters that drop out of the professional system at a young age.

Back