• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Advertising boards at Roots Hall

DTS

The Business
How exactly do the club sell the space around the pitch. I am not looking to hire on or anything like that but I have been wondering.

For example some of the boards at the hall (Northern Rock, RBS etc) seem to appear at every ground so i guess they come from maybe the FA or something.

And then on another side we have say Muddy Fox who I have never seen anywhere else so I guess we found them ourselves?

Or maybe there is a middle man company who does it all for the club for a cut...???

Finally I was wondering if we have a sort of cold calling person that calls companys trying to get them to take a board or if we just wait for companys to approch us?

Yes you can tell i could sleep on the train this morning.
down.gif

Boards such as Coca-Cola, Northern Rock etc.. have a contract with the Football League to advertise at every ground.

Otherwise, the Club sell plots. They have been advertised in the programme in the past, but i imagine companies often come to us rather than the other way round.

Muddy Fox are tied up with Universal Cycles who are owned by one of the SUFC Directors.

That was quite amusing when one of the Sunderland players crashed into one of the new boards in front of the East Stand, I was sitting behind the next advertising board so I had a pretty good view of it!!

On a side issue, when seeing footage from the 70s/early 80s, anyone know what was with the "alphabet" boards.

You see a lot of "A B C D E"-type boards!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sanchosser @ Sep. 07 2006,10:54)]On a side issue, when seeing footage from the 70s/early 80s, anyone know what was with the "alphabet" boards.

They were for half-time scores. Most football programmes in the 50s and 60s and even in to the 70s had a alphabetical list of other matches. For example:

A: Arsenal v. Liverpool
B: Coventry v. Manchester City
C: Everton v. Sheffield Wednesday etc....

At half-time a man would come out and hook the score line over the letter to allow the crowd to see what was going on elsewhere. All hi-tech stuff yo know......

My favourite advertising hoarding by far was the one that said 'Improve your ball control'. Being in the South Lower for so long, we always assumed it would be some sort of soccer coaching school advertising there.

Pretty amusing when we found out it was for a vasectomy clinic!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Sep. 07 2006,11:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sanchosser @ Sep. 07 2006,10:54)]On a side issue, when seeing footage from the 70s/early 80s, anyone know what was with the "alphabet" boards.

They were for half-time scores. Most football programmes in the 50s and 60s and even in to the 70s had a alphabetical list of other matches. For example:

At half-time a man would come out and hook the score line over the letter to allow the crowd to see what was going on elsewhere. All hi-tech stuff yo know......
Being 2006 we now of course have a far more reliable and sophisticated system!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SW17 Blue @ Sep. 07 2006,11:01)]
[b said:
[b said:

Being 2006 we now of course have a far more reliable and sophisticated system!
Y s we n w ha e a m crop ne th t ke ps cutt g out.
laugh.gif

[b said:
[b said:

Thanks! Always wondered what they were for!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 07 2006,11:00)]My favourite advertising hoarding by far was the one that said 'Improve your ball control'. Being in the South Lower for so long, we always assumed it would be some sort of soccer coaching school advertising there.

Pretty amusing when we found out it was for a vasectomy clinic!!
Did you phone them up then?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 07 2006,10:56)]I like to think the commercial dept of SUFC is ike Glengarry Glen Ross
Who's got the brass balls though?

"PUT THAT COFFEE DOWN! Coffee is for closers" - love it.

I notice too the locations of these boards is quite strategic. For instance, Pukka Pies is directly in front of DTS.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ldnfatso @ Sep. 07 2006,13:20)]I notice too the locations of these boards is quite strategic. For instance, Pukka Pies is directly in front of DTS.
rock.gif
Havent you got a STD clinic board in front of you mate.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Sep. 07 2006,13:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 07 2006,10:56)]I like to think the commercial dept of SUFC is ike Glengarry Glen Ross

I like to think when Scriven's not mis-spelling the website, he's saying

Your name is "you're wanting", and you can't play the man's game, you can't close them, and then tell your wife your troubles. 'Cause only one thing counts in this world: get them to sign on the line which is dotted. You hear me you f%&kin' faggots?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 07 2006,13:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Sep. 07 2006,13:15)]
[b said:

I like to think when Scriven's not mis-spelling the website, he's saying

Your name is "you're wanting", and you can't play the man's game, you can't close them, and then tell your wife your troubles. 'Cause only one thing counts in this world: get them to sign on the line which is dotted. You hear me you f%&kin' faggots?
laugh.gif

Maybe the mis-spelling on the OS is because Scriven never gets past the first 3 letter of the alphabet - he just sits there saying;

"A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing, always be closing."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Sep. 07 2006,13:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ldnfatso @ Sep. 07 2006,13:20)]I notice too the locations of these boards is quite strategic. For instance, Pukka Pies is directly in front of DTS.
rock.gif
laugh.gif
maybe we should swap seats then!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ldnfatso @ Sep. 07 2006,13:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Sep. 07 2006,13:38)]
[b said:
rock.gif
laugh.gif
maybe we should swap seats then!
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif
Then no-one would be able to see the goal.
ghostface.gif

Back