• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings AFC Wimbledon 1-4 Southend United

Hadn't been to an away match for a while, but decided to take my lad for a treat. He loved every minute of it. The old style supporting. Standing in a small, compact ground with a pretty poor view...but it made for a good atmosphere amongst the fellow Shrimpers.

Daniels...7 Made a couple of brave and crucial stops
Clohessy...8 Has returned to the form that he showed, when he first signed. Kept probing down the right, with some lovely deliveries and a scorching shot at the end. My MOTM
Prosser..5 Decent in the air, but kept picking the wrong options when at his feet. Often lofted it over Harris and Halls heads.
Phillips...5.5 (1st Half 4. 2nd 7). All over the place at the start, but recovered in the 2nd. Nice headed goal.
Barker...8 Such a good pro. Organisation, Positioning and calling. Held things together.
Leonard..7 Tidy player. Nothing flash, just does his job, which is ideal away from home.
Kalala...7 Did his job well. Kept things simple.
Grant...7 Decent game. Was getting fired up throughout. Linked well when at his feet.
Timlin...8 Great engine. Big heart. Right at the top of his game.
Harris..7 Led the line well. Brought Sean into the game a lot. Lovely goal at the end
Hall...8 Always looked dangerous. Hall tore them apart, again...

Subs : Sturrock 6. Not all that. Ferdinand..6 Not on long. Coughlan 6 Not on long. Well done on the 500th !!
Ref : Kettle 6. You know what you are gonna get. Knew someone would get sent off, today.

When asked what he wants for his birthday next week, my son replied..tickets to see us play at Northampton. Good lad !!

Well wasnt the view delightful!! :'(

Good win and professional performance from us, rounded off by a class finish at the death to seal the deal. Looking forward to seeing Benyon playing tomorrow (i'll guess with Dicko alongside him!) and with Hall out wide, we really should be beating D&R comfortably.

UTB.

Good win and professional performance from us, rounded off by a class finish at the death to seal the deal. Looking forward to seeing Benyon playing tomorrow (i'll guess with Dicko alongside him!) and with Hall out wide, we really should be beating D&R comfortably.

UTB.

That would suggest that Benyon is match fit .......... perhaps he may be on the bench and get a run out in the second half?

And Dagenham have been picking up points recently ........ so it might be a bit tougher than the earlier games this season ........... but we need the 3 points to keep the pressure up. :thumbsup:

UTB.

Do you think Benyon will start then? Personally I think he will be benched with Harris and Dicko starting.

Can't see either of these things happening SS

It does seem quite far off, but Sturrock then needs to decide what to do. Sign players who are suited for long ball and just go with that system to get us up, even if it is unattractive. Or sign players like Benyon, and work incredibly hard in keeping the ball on the deck and not be afraid to take a touch rather than just hoof the ball, can't sign players who are 5'8 and keep lumping it up to them.

Harris well taken goal doesnt hide the fact that we have really only gone and bought Benyon due to the fact that Harris has been so disappointing. Rubbish penalty and generally poor in front of goal. Shame really as I want him to do so well

Daniels was excellent in the first 20 mins when Wimbledon could have sealed the win had they taken their chances. After the fortune to equalise early, and then Jolleys moment of madness it was always going to be a comfortable win. I felt it was a spluttering performance with moments of real quality and then moments of very averageness... I got the feeling we were trying to overplay at times but thats not a bad sign when 2 or 3 goals up as it is better than just hoofing it long

Still bitter about Aldershot, but yesterday helped to get the confidence back. Bring on Dagenham

'Southend Reject, Southend reject' which was much nicer than Midson got, one of the gobshites in TrueBlues gang of children was shouting 'Midson the ****ing ****' over and over for a good five or ten minutes and pretty much inspired him to score'. That little crew were so foul mouthed that the police tried to remove one of them and ended in scuffles and the one they were after crawling on the floor to get away and then spent the rest of the match hiding. Very embarassing to witness.

Game was played at a frantic pace till they scored but poor quality for the rest of that half. Good in the 2nd half, we didn't have much shape but had the energy to keep up the pressure to push for the win. Phillips goal was great to see such a determined finish, Hall for me should claim both, and Harris' showed the touch of class that we always look for but don't often see - but came from their mistakes rather than us playing him in. Good confidence building match and 3 points.

My gang??!?! What the hell - don't tar me with the same brush - just because I was near it and you only recognise me in no way shape or form means its anything to do with me in fact I spent most of the game protecting my girlfriend from getting hit by the old bill!!! Thankfully those that really know me on here and I hope they pipe up will know I am not a trouble maker and in fact spend much of the time telling the younger lads to behave!

My gang??!?! What the hell - don't tar me with the same brush - just because I was near it and you only recognise me in no way shape or form means its anything to do with me in fact I spent most of the game protecting my girlfriend from getting hit by the old bill!!! Thankfully those that really know me on here and I hope they pipe up will know I am not a trouble maker and in fact spend much of the time telling the younger lads to behave!
Very true, I recognise you and don't know who any of the others are but you or any other of them could man up and tell the others that its being taken too far. Some of the group are very young and will just go along with it. Once the police dictated that it was toned down then an element of humour came through but before that it was just OTT obsenity and as someone who takes their kids to away matches its not appreciated and it doesn't paint the club in a good light. Making up ludicrous crimes for their manager is quite funny, shouting at an ex player of ours who left on good terms, calling him a c unit over and over is pointless and is going to offend certain sections of our support and - surprise surprise, inspire him to score. I'd wager if anyone of you told him to stop he would have done. If the police had to step in thats a sign its crossing a line. I just think it affects the enjoyment of other fans and the fact they have bothered to be there deserves more respect.

Very true, I recognise you and don't know who any of the others are but you or any other of them could man up and tell the others that its being taken too far. Some of the group are very young and will just go along with it. Once the police dictated that it was toned down then an element of humour came through but before that it was just OTT obsenity and as someone who takes their kids to away matches its not appreciated and it doesn't paint the club in a good light. Making up ludicrous crimes for their manager is quite funny, shouting at an ex player of ours who left on good terms, calling him a c unit over and over is pointless and is going to offend certain sections of our support and - surprise surprise, inspire him to score. I'd wager if anyone of you told him to stop he would have done. If the police had to step in thats a sign its crossing a line. I just think it affects the enjoyment of other fans and the fact they have bothered to be there deserves more respect.

Wholeheartedly agree with you but the younger ones will learn one way or another! - terry brown took it well yesterday bless him

Wholeheartedly agree with you but the younger ones will learn one way or another! - terry brown took it well yesterday bless him
He did.
If you could pass on to the Midson hater in particular that he should be aware of the fact there is a broad spectrum of supporters in our number that would be appreciated. If you could play back the 1st 15 or 20 minutes of the match I'm sure you could understand why lots of what was coming from the halfway line of the terrace would make some sections of our support feel like they wanted to be elsewhere, and thats not how it should be.

Interesting game and view, twists and turns in the first half, we ended it winning comfortably. Felt sorry for Harris, what must he think, we was due a penalty miss and it had to be Harris. If that goes in I am sure in their fragile state could have been even more of a landslide for us. The save inspired them whist we dropped for 20-25 mins and it could have been 2 or 3 if Daniels had not been alert. Once we equalized and they then had Jolley sent off, they threw the towel in and we won at a canter, nice to see Harris score and re-address our goal difference following the Cheltenham game.

Daniels 7.5 - On his game, good saves in first half, kicking a little too long
Clohessy 8 - Good game, got forward well and crossing back to his best
Phillips 7 - Odd slip, but really love his whole hearted attitude and desire to score
Barker 7 - Played within himself which was a lot easier after Jolley sent off
Prosser 6.5 - Won his headers but distribution aint great
Leonard 6.5 - Steady game, gives us balance, but what has happened with the goal threat and his shooting
Grant 7 - Not spectacular but just like his nous and ability to hold the ball and win us free kicks
Kalala 7 - Much better, passing was a lot tidier aswell and managed to get towards the penalty area a couple of times
Timlin 7 - Tidy game, reads it well and fits in so nicely at inside left position
Hall 8.5 - MOTM, just pips Clohessy reaked havoc playing the free role
Harris 6.5 - Worked hard for the cause, touch of class with the goal

Sturrock 6 - Did not have too many touches, but safe hands for last 20 mins
Coughlan 6 - Congratulations on 500th league appearance, brings a sense of calm on proceedings, next manager potential
Ferdinand 6 - Only on short time and got booked for over eagerness trying to get the ball

Summary, sorely needed win for us, hopefully can now push on with two home games. Fear for Wimbledon dropping like a stone, cannot see them surviving in this league, shame with such good support.

He did.
If you could pass on to the Midson hater in particular that he should be aware of the fact there is a broad spectrum of supporters in our number that would be appreciated. If you could play back the 1st 15 or 20 minutes of the match I'm sure you could understand why lots of what was coming from the halfway line of the terrace would make some sections of our support feel like they wanted to be elsewhere, and thats not how it should be.
If you're brave enough to call him a "gobshite" on your keyboard, why didn't you ask him to stop yourself at the match? :whistling:

If you're brave enough to call him a "gobshite" on your keyboard, why didn't you ask him to stop yourself at the match? :whistling:

Possibly because he said he takes his kids with him. It's not brave confronting aggressive people when you have your kids in tow.

I wasn't there yesterday but the way I've had it recounted to me by someone who was was that it went straight to a situation where the police rather than saying it should be toned down, understandably so from what's been said, decided that 'someone', at random, was going out. Needless to say that person was not too happy and basically refused to go and the police appeared to be unable to enforce their action.
It could be argued that a simple quiet word from the police or the stewards to moderate the language would have served better to move the situation to a humourous one rather than an obscene one as you described happened.

As one of the 'oldies' who tends to be around some of the youngsters who tend to congregate around TB, I, and others have had a 'word' when things are getting a bit OTT, however, TB, and anyone else about, aren't their parents and can't be expected to act as such and take responsibility for their actions. As I've said, I'll have a word when I think it's right but I don't go to the football to be a baby-sitter, and nor should anyone else!

Well played today, deserved your victory. Thought the game was pretty even until the sending off. If we could have kept 11 men on the pitch, who knows what might have happened.

The sending off... No complaints from me a definite straight red. Such a shame as it is totally against Jolleys nature. That was the last thing we as a team, low on confidence needed, to end up playing against a team in he automatic promotion places with only 10 men.
As a team, you expired the extra space that the man advantage gave you. Although saying that, there wasan element of luck with 3 of your 4 goals.
Your general work rate was a lot better than ours and the win was deserved.

Next up for us is Swindon away, eek. We shall try our best to beat them for you, god knows we need a win really soon. This is turning out to be a long hard season. It is difficult to put a finger on what has gone do badly wrong.
Today was virtually the same team that spanked Gillingham 3-1 and Cheltenham 4-1.

Good luck for the rest of the season and I hope you can beat Crawley to the title.

Typical southend expiring the extra space.:blush:

Back