• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News AFC Wimbledon midfielder Anthony Wordsworth: Southend United are lacking in character

Someone who says it how it is. Assuming people don’t like it cause he’s digging at Powell

Someone who says it how it is. Assuming people don’t like it cause he’s digging at Powell

No, it’s unprofessional for any pro to accuse any other pro of lacking character and it’s thick of him to to it 3 days before he plays against the people he’s digging out.

Whether he’s right or not is irrelevant.

The fact that much of what he said can also be levelled at him over his career is just plain arrogant.

There are some former Southend players I’d accept that from. You know, players who actually demonstrated character in a Southend shirt, who actually went onto better things post Southend, who didn’t go missing every two games out of three.

His words are having an effect already as Australia are 3-0 up against the mighty Nepal and Milligan is 'anchoring' the midfield according to one report.

I skimmed through his quotes but I don't see anything wrong with what his said at all.

This is just my opinion but football is so full of generic interviews I hardly see the point in doing them. "Hopefully we can go there and get three points" "It's always nice to get on the score sheet but really it was a team effort" ... You might as well just copy and paste. I miss the days when there were 'real' rivalries like Arsenal v Man Utd etc. So fair play for stirring the pot a bit.

Wordsworth had his moments for us but as someone who watched him away from home on plenty of occasions, I would say he was the biggest homer in the squad.

Probably MAF next (good sub to run the channels when you are a goal up but quiet at 0-0 and non existent if you were a goal down) Next on the list was Cox.

Anyway that aside when Wordy turned up for that 6 pointer during the run in last season. Our first chance of the match was when he was robbed being to casual 30yds from his own goal. I think it was Bunn? who scuffed the shot wide. Oh good I thought at least we know just how to pressure Wordsworth ( which any decent Sunday player would ).......From then on we backed off and allowed him to grow into the game and he ended up playing more than OK for them.

During that 3 game period we never managed a shot on target v Wimbledon, Shrews or Wycombe. It wasn't just needing a more creative midfield, the whole team needed to be further up the pitch and at least try and apply pressure/create something. That definitely happened v Burton and Sunderland and we all hoped it would be further boosted in the summer

This season we looked even worse v Rochdale but had the Bond excuse. Fleetwood gave us all some hope and we followed up with the win at MK. So two big step forwards followed by Accringnton, Brighton and Gillingham......3 even bigger steps backwards.........I have know idea what to expect Saturday but one thing is for sure......Wordsworth is absolutely spot on with his assessment of our squad. In fact he is so spot on he can afford to publicly say it before he jogs out at RH on Saturday......The truth only hurts if you don't want to deal with it.

There are some former Southend players I’d accept that from. You know, players who actually demonstrated character in a Southend shirt, who actually went onto better things post Southend, who didn’t go missing every two games out of three.

Now that's spot on IMO.

Looking forward to our payers putting in some ‘character building’ tackles on Saturday especially if he’s in the team.

Wordy's right but if that article isn't pinned up on the dressing room wall for motivation then there really is something wrong with our club.

On the other hand the players should be motivated irrespective of what is, or is not, pinned to the dressing room wall.

Wordsworth was a very skillful player, but did have a poor injury record, and could look lazy at times.

However next to Hyam he looks like an athlete in his prime and compared to Dieng a midfield dynamo.

On the other hand the players should be motivated irrespective of what is, or is not, pinned to the dressing room wall.

Wordsworth was a very skillful player, but did have a poor injury record, and could look lazy at times.

However next to Hyam he looks like an athlete in his prime and compared to Dieng a midfield dynamo.

Quite right but this is a common (if rather old- fashioned) motivational technique which GW makes use of,apparently.

Agree 100% with your other comments,btw.

I skimmed through his quotes but I don't see anything wrong with what his said at all.

This is just my opinion but football is so full of generic interviews I hardly see the point in doing them. "Hopefully we can go there and get three points" "It's always nice to get on the score sheet but really it was a team effort" ... You might as well just copy and paste. I miss the days when there were 'real' rivalries like Arsenal v Man Utd etc. So fair play for stirring the pot a bit.
We might have an Essex Derby next season if ColEwe don’t go up.

Wordsworth had his moments for us but as someone who watched him away from home on plenty of occasions, I would say he was the biggest homer in the squad.

Probably MAF next (good sub to run the channels when you are a goal up but quiet at 0-0 and non existent if you were a goal down) Next on the list was Cox.

Anyway that aside when Wordy turned up for that 6 pointer during the run in last season. Our first chance of the match was when he was robbed being to casual 30yds from his own goal. I think it was Bunn? who scuffed the shot wide. Oh good I thought at least we know just how to pressure Wordsworth ( which any decent Sunday player would ).......From then on we backed off and allowed him to grow into the game and he ended up playing more than OK for them.

During that 3 game period we never managed a shot on target v Wimbledon, Shrews or Wycombe. It wasn't just needing a more creative midfield, the whole team needed to be further up the pitch and at least try and apply pressure/create something. That definitely happened v Burton and Sunderland and we all hoped it would be further boosted in the summer

This season we looked even worse v Rochdale but had the Bond excuse. Fleetwood gave us all some hope and we followed up with the win at MK. So two big step forwards followed by Accringnton, Brighton and Gillingham......3 even bigger steps backwards.........I have know idea what to expect Saturday but one thing is for sure......Wordsworth is absolutely spot on with his assessment of our squad. In fact he is so spot on he can afford to publicly say it before he jogs out at RH on Saturday......The truth only hurts if you don't want to deal with it.
Wouldn’t be surprised if one of our lot go clattering into him and get sent off. Maybe that’s his aim. Though that would involve someone making an effort to get near him.

He is literally bang on.

Need some of the bottle shown at MK.

Tactial yellows and big blocks. Instead we have Hyam stood there trying ti look like Jack Grealish

Back