• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I noticed that. I've been critical of Demi recently and thought White was brilliant at Coventry and decent enough on Saturday. But when Demi came on he looked well up for it, I thought he changed the game and was different class.

The murmurs started after the Northampton game and then increased down at Oxford and suddenly lots were claiming he can't defend. Of Course Atkinson's suspension started v Northampton.

I know many fans think a wide midfielder's job is just to attack but I have personally heard opposition coaches praise Will for completely nullifying their fancied LM. Which of course goes unnoticed by most fans.

Reading through the thoughts of SZ posters it is fantastic to see that we have different options available without players being criticised.
The manager has tough decisions to make. How bloody positive.

Sorry mate i couldnt disagree more. RM is Will's best position , he's played there the vast majority of his career + almost never lets you down. He does give us balance , in that the full back can feel confident of overlapping ( if it breaks down , Atkinson will cover ) ... whereas if McGlashan is wide right the full back does not venture forward at all. He puts a decent cross in + his energy is 2nd to none. I do agree however that sometimes he could drive into the box more on his surging runs.

Throbinson is definitely not a winger , he needs to play down the middle where he has produced some great performances recently. Shove him out on the wing and you get very little out of him, and hes not good defensively.

If you want a winger to come off the bench and change a game against a stubborn defence then Zavon Hines is your man .... He takes the full backs on + runs at them with pace and trickery. No where near fit enough to start a game but essential IMHO to be on the bench for 15 mins or so if needed.

It's a fair argument. However, I would ask how many times this season has Atkinson gone down the right beaten his man for pace and put decent crosses in? I know that's not his game, but I believe someone in that position should be able to do that. I would certainly never have a go at Atkinson because he a fantastic player to have in the team. Robinson is a striker and is better through the middle, but it didn't go unnoticed that when playing up front at Coventry most of his good work was on the right, including setting up Ranger's goal.

Reading through the thoughts of SZ posters it is fantastic to see that we have different options available without players being criticised.
The manager has tough decisions to make. How bloody positive.

Indeed. One of the real plus points about Saturday was the way all 3 subs were so professional and positive. No sulking about being on the bench just reminding the manager how good they are at their best. For a club that needs wins to get in the top six, that's exactly what we want.

Indeed. One of the real plus points about Saturday was the way all 3 subs were so professional and positive. No sulking about being on the bench just reminding the manager how good they are at their best. For a club that needs wins to get in the top six, that's exactly what we want.

This just emphasises the reports of team spirit coming from within the camp, and kind of debunks some other "rumours ".

Lets just support all for a final push!

Absolutely.

Thanks Ron for spending so much on so many forwards.

It really is making a difference and might even see us into the play offs.

It's a fair argument. However, I would ask how many times this season has Atkinson gone down the right beaten his man for pace and put decent crosses in? I know that's not his game, but I believe someone in that position should be able to do that. I would certainly never have a go at Atkinson because he a fantastic player to have in the team. Robinson is a striker and is better through the middle, but it didn't go unnoticed that when playing up front at Coventry most of his good work was on the right, including setting up Ranger's goal.

For my money Wills excellent positional sense and obscene work rate allows the others to give that attacking flair....demi will bomb on, woody will attack all day joining up with cox and ranger. Mcgaughlin is a true winger with good quality. All this built on one of the best holding players outside of the top flight in my humble opinion....Ryan Leonard.

What about the elephant in the room though - where does it fit in ?

No longer behind Barrett sadly but on recent performances behind John White.

Useful against better opposition but very much a luxury against poorer opposition.

Good to see him briefly in the Walsall penalty area on Saturday though.

Right, we need to talk about Saturday... (sorry, if Monday is too early - but I can't wait for this one)

Very interested to see PB's line up. I reckon we just need to go for a tried and tested starting line up;

Smith

Demetriou
Coker
Ferdinand
Thompson

Atkinson
McLaughlin
Wordsworth
Lenny

Cox
Ranger

Subs: Teenage Goalie, White, Amos, Timlin, McGlashan, MAF, Robinson

thoughts...

If this team doesn't pick itself, I'm not sure what one does:thumbsup:

Been offered tickets in the home end for this, and I am already going on the boat...

Does anyone know anybody whose selling a couple in the away end terrace?

Was anyone else surprised by Phil Browns comments?

Looking ahead to next weekend’s game away at AFC Wimbledon, Brown said the “ammunition” he has at his disposal is the envy of any manager in this league.
And with games coming thick and fast, Brown didn’t rule out changing things up again in future matches.

“There’ll be games coming thick and fast between now and the end of the season where Theo will start and Nile [Ranger] will start, Frank Nouble will start, Coxy will start, Marc-Antoine Fortune will start, David Mooney will start.

With 8 cup finals to go, I'm a bit worried that he says he will start Nouble and Mooney. Surely every game we should start with any 2 from Ranger, Cox, MAF and Robinson up front. Nouble has shown nothing when he's come on and looks slow and cumbersome. Mooney will need games to get fit, it's too late, and he's nowhere near as good as Ranger, Cox, MAF and Robinson anyway.

Let's hope it's just another case of Phil saying one thing and doing another.

Last edited:

Looking ahead to next weekend’s game away at AFC Wimbledon, Brown said the “ammunition” he has at his disposal is the envy of any manager in this league.
And with games coming thick and fast, Brown didn’t rule out changing things up again in future matches.

“There’ll be games coming thick and fast between now and the end of the season where Theo will start and Nile [Ranger] will start, Frank Nouble will start, Coxy will start, Marc-Antoine Fortune will start, David Mooney will start.

With 8 cup finals to go, I'm a bit worried that he says he will start Nouble and Mooney. Surely every game we should start with any 2 from Ranger, Cox and MAF up front. Nouble has shown nothing when he's come on and looks slow and cumbersome. Mooney will need games to get fit, it's too late, and he's nowhere near as good as Ranger, Cox and MAF anyway.

I wouldn't take him so literally to be honest. He's just making a point that he's gonna need everyone in the squad during the run-in.

He wouldn't start Nouble and Mooney just for the sake of it and weaken our team just for squad rotation. I fully expect the front 2 to be from Robinson Ranger and Cox for the remainder of the season with MAF getting some mins from the bench.

With 8 cup finals to go, I'm a bit worried that he says he will start Nouble and Mooney. Surely every game we should start with any 2 from Ranger, Cox, MAF and Robinson up front. Nouble has shown nothing when he's come on and looks slow and cumbersome. Mooney will need games to get fit, it's too late, and he's nowhere near as good as Ranger, MAF and Robinson anyway.

I wouldn't take that literally in all honesty and I think he knows our 4 main strikers. Nouble and Mooney are great backup if we suddenly have a mental injury crisis though.

He wouldn't start Nouble and Mooney just for the sake of it and weaken our team just for squad rotation. I fully expect the front 2 to be from Robinson Ranger and Cox for the remainder of the season with MAF getting some mins from the bench.

I wouldn't be so sure. Yep Nouble and Mooney are a bit much, but he'll rotate the forwards, I think.

Personally, he should start every match with Cox & Ranger. He has his strongest outfield squad available and the first choice eleven is easy to pick, for me, but he has a habit of trying to be too clever and out-thinking the oppo. Generally this backfires.

In PB we trust, though! :Worthy:

I wouldn't be so sure. Yep Nouble and Mooney are a bit much, but he'll rotate the forwards, I think.

Personally, he should start every match with Cox & Ranger. He has his strongest outfield squad available and the first choice eleven is easy to pick, for me, but he has a habit of trying to be too clever and out-thinking the oppo. Generally this backfires.

In PB we trust, though! :Worthy:

Yeah I agree that Brown has a habit of rotating the team when you least expect it. I think most of the ground was in shock on Saturday with that starting XI and I think it may have had an effect on the atmosphere in the first half if I'm honest. Everyone was a bit nervous about how the new-look side would get on in a must-win game.

But I do think he has limits on how far he'd rotate the squad and barring a mental injury crisis i can't see either Nouble or Mooney starting for us in the remainder of our season.

I don't think Mooney or Nouble will actually play, I think he was just making the point that we will need the squad in case of injuries, tiredness, loss of form etc.

I look forward to enjoying the delights of a Mooney/Nouble front 2 on Saturday

But I do think he has limits on how far he'd rotate the squad and barring a mental injury crisis i can't see either Nouble or Mooney starting for us in the remainder of our season.

I just presumed (quite possibly wrongly) that Brown was trying to keep all his squad motivated and putting in their best in training because there is the chance, you know, that you might be in the starting XI and that also means that no player can take their starting place for granted.

Baring injuries and suspensions, I would be surprised to see either Nouble or Mooney feature in any of our remaining games. But will give them a good clap & cheer if they do get on the pitch.

Back