• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Age you took your child to their first game

My daughter is 7 and has no interest whatsoever in coming. Not sure if I should just drag her along or let it be. Either way its not going to convince her. Just as well really a lifetime of disappointment isnt ideal

2003, I was working on a long contract abroad and came back especially for a long weekend away in the Forest of Dean, close enough that would have been silly not to allow my daughters, 13 and 10 yrs old to come with me and Mrs G to the Millenium Stadium.
Both have been a few times to games since, notably the snowy away win at Chesterfield and the Piggot play off. They seem to coincide their games with Blues wins!

2003, I was working on a long contract abroad and came back especially for a long weekend away in the Forest of Dean, close enough that would have been silly not to allow my daughters, 13 and 10 yrs old to come with me and Mrs G to the Millenium Stadium.
Both have been a few times to games since, notably the snowy away win at Chesterfield and the Piggot play off. They seem to coincide their games with Blues wins!
Where have they been for the last 3 years?

Took my son when he was 4 he is now 13! He’s visited 37 grounds watching the blues he loves it.....

My dad never took me to a football game, my first game was a Boxing Day game at the Hawthorns when we visited our Brummie family who were avid Baggies.
After that I had Spurs supporting Uncle who took me to White Hart Lane, but when we moved to Wickford l started to go to Roots Hall in the 72/73 season.
Started taking my 1st son when he was 6, 2nd Son about the same age, feels like child abuse now!

My dad never took me to a football game, my first game was a Boxing Day game at the Hawthorns when we visited our Brummie family who were avid Baggies.
After that I had Spurs supporting Uncle who took me to White Hart Lane, but when we moved to Wickford l started to go to Roots Hall in the 72/73 season.
Started taking my 1st son when he was 6, 2nd Son about the same age, feels like child abuse now!
Better than using the naughty step me thinks ?

I couldn’t have had it easier. I took my seven year old to his first game on Nov 7th 2006. It’s not surprising he’s been hooked ever since.

My daughter is 3 in August and would love to take her to her first game in a couple of years time. Would have to be in the new stadium though. I'm in the east in my season ticket seat since about 2007. No seat to my left (away dug out) none behind (away directors) and season ticket holders to my right and in front. I could move seats but I love my view.

Watching some of the Euros and she has come in when Scotland have been playing and has said something along the lines of "Ah Football. Is it Southend. Come on Southend. Daddy can I watch Bing now"

Last time I changed seats was when my girlfriend (now wife) wanted to experience a match. She read the programme during the first half and then read a magazine in the 2nd. I think a 3 year old might have given the football at least 5 minutes watching. For that I had to sit in East Blacks I think. It was an end of season game with nothing to play for and probably made more confusing as the away team (can't remember who it was) was playing in our away/3rd strip.

My daughter is 3 in August and would love to take her to her first game in a couple of years time. Would have to be in the new stadium though. I'm in the east in my season ticket seat since about 2007. No seat to my left (away dug out) none behind (away directors) and season ticket holders to my right and in front. I could move seats but I love my view.

Watching some of the Euros and she has come in when Scotland have been playing and has said something along the lines of "Ah Football. Is it Southend. Come on Southend. Daddy can I watch Bing now"

Last time I changed seats was when my girlfriend (now wife) wanted to experience a match. She read the programme during the first half and then read a magazine in the 2nd. I think a 3 year old might have given the football at least 5 minutes watching. For that I had to sit in East Blacks I think. It was an end of season game with nothing to play for and probably made more confusing as the away team (can't remember who it was) was playing in our away/3rd strip.

Bing Crosby eh? Very cultured

When my son was 6 we were living in Leicester, we started watching a few Senior League games then half a dozen of Division One matches at Leicester, and then Gary Lineker's testimonial with some of the top names of the time.

Yes he was ready for the mighty Blues. Away at Notts County we were terrible lost 6-2. That was that I thought, but he chirped up "Can we go to Chesterfield v Southend next"

My son's first game was on his 9th birthday when we beat Bury 1 nil and we were hoping Bristol Rovers would beat Millwall at home so we would scrape into the play-offs. But Millwall won 4-3 and we missed out. Still he loved the game, the atmosphere and had his name read out at half-time.

Didn't take my first son until he was 4 or 5 years old. Took him half a dozen times. He wasn't interested - and still isn't.
Took my second son when he was about 3 months old, for his first game. Then from about 5 years old when he first wanted to come with me. Kept that up 'til he was 8ish but, given the 180 mile round-trip he soon went off the idea. He did take to youth football himself and I spent the last 3 years coaching his team, so haven't been to Roots Hall much in that time.
Youngest son hasn't graced the hallowed stands of Roots Hall yet.

First took my son when he was 4, he was more interested in how many footballs got hoofed out of the ground (quite a few). He's 17 now and travels home and away with me still.

Dad took me when I was about 8 and I obviously misbehaved as I had to go again. almost 40 years later here we are.

Took eldest to a vital game at Barnsley which she got bored at. Then she really wanted to Carlisle away on the coach because she heard it might be fun. Since then, she and my youngest have been to the two Phil Brown Wembley shows and thats it. Theyre not really into football and thats fine.

I took my son aged 5 home against Port Vale in the North Bank. Little bugger ran off and re-appeared up by the South Bank talking to some Vale fans. He came to games with me for a while but never really got into it.

I took my daughter when she was about 5 too. She carried on attending games home and away until she was 24 and had a boy of her own. His first game was when he was with mum aged 18 months; but he has been going with me since he was about 4. Granddaughter has been coming to matches since she was 7, she's now 12 but I dont think she's actually watched a game properly yet :)

Back