• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Aldershot FC 1-1 Southend Utd

I saw the first-half as reasonably even. However, straight from the off in the second period, apart from one or two Aldershot breaks, it was total Blues domination. Some lovely football which really merited a second goal but it just wouldn't happen. That ball, which came across the face of goal (from a corner?), it seemed to bounce up in front of Bridge, who just couldn't get anything on it, to put it in. Nevertheless, following the disappointment of Saturday, the side showed incredible spirit and desire. The collapse of Aldershot players at the final whistle bore testament to the amount of continual pressure they had been under in order to hold onto that point. Certainly, for them, it was a point gained rather than two points lost.

Well, another game I felt we should have won. We dominated again, as we have in most games this season so far, but we just don’t fully capitalise when we have the opposition stretched and then concede a goal against the run of play. Yes, we should definitely have had a penalty in the first half when their defender palmed Powell’s shot away for a corner, so we aren’t always getting the luck that’s needed. Nevertheless, every player put in a shift again and it is difficult to single out an individual, but I think Ollie Coker had probably his best game for us tonight. A little disappointed with only a draw but, given our circumstances, these lads continue to make me proud to be a Shrimper.

I had to look him up on the astronet and found this: -

"Buzz Killington is a well-dressed British man from the late 19th century. His name is a play on the term "buzz-kill." He is what one would imagine to be "cool" in late 19th-century times, but is a complete and utter buzzkill by modern standards; hence his name, and whence the humor surrounding him derives. The one who mentions how much of a buzzkill he is groans, lifts his glasses and rubs his eyes as if he has a migraine, at the end of each of Buzz's jokes.

In "Whistle While Your Wife Works," he takes away the joy from a drinking party Peter Griffin also attended. Killington initiated a series of inkblot drawing discussions."

Source: - > https://familyguy.fandom.com/wiki/Buzz_Killington

Anyone heard anything about Kabangolo as he was warming up before the game and was wearing proper kit numbered 22?
He has signed mate. Just can't register him yet. The race is on to be able to do so before he gets fed up like the Macclesfield lads did a few years back.

As always at the moment 10 out of 10 for still pulling on a Southend shirt under such abismal circumstances.

Special shout out to JD he ran his socks off tonight, not bad for a supposed retired player 👏

I love this football club so much and if we do finally have a buyer as we all hope🤞🙏 then then bring it on 👊

💙

Last edited:
The energy on display for the whole game was simply incredible! Should of been about 5-1. Everyone played really well, thought the Aldershot goal looked like a keeper error but that aside we were impressive. A few more bodies and that team is top 3 all day long

On a separate note, Demi has adapted his game and looks like he could easily go another season or two at this level, true pro

A mixture of frustration and pride.

A game we dominated but we lacked clinicalness (if that’s a word) to put them away.

I thought Husin was imperious. One of those games where he’s feeling it and has his man on a piece of string and he’s toying with him. We should have just fed him all game. But it wasn’t just him. Oli Coker is maturing into a fine player. He sets his feet so well to receive the ball it allows him to make the game look deceptively simple. I think other than a stay shot he only gave the ball away twice all game. Cav was Cav, restored to midfield where he belongs.

For all that though we found ourselves one down at the break. Yet again the opposition barely enter our penalty area but we find ourselves 1 down after they beat the keeper from 25 yards. I think Martin might want that one back, not even diving.

It also didn’t help that we played the first half with 10 men but Powell’s injury provided the perfect excuse to rectify the mistake of not starting Wood and it still took until half time to make that move. By that time we were already 1 down and had squandered some golden chances with Powell’s weak shot blocked, apparently by a hand, and then Powell getting in Bridge’s way as Bridge looked to tap in.

Cardwell had his worse half this season - for the first time this year he looked knackered - but still showed up where it mattered to stab in the deserved equaliser. Wood made a big difference, having someone up front with Cardwell that you can play the ball into their feet makes us so much better. Might he have had a penalty? I thought he went down a little easily but would like to see that one again.

What were we doing with Harry Taylor in midfield last year? He’s so much better with the game in front of him and was born to play this role. Aldershot’s set up left Kensdale as the spare man and he strolled into midfield to initiate our attacks.
Demi’s legs have gone but boy was the effort there. He got up and down that line/inside channel all match but what was missing was that extra gear to make it pay. He looks exposed when isolated (having him as the man back at corners seems asking for trouble) but his versatility is invaluable in this situation as he’s able to step in and cover so many positions. Ralph’s return can’t come soon enough as we’re too one paced at the back without him.

Bridge was for once outshadowed with Husin’s trickery but even on off days he occupies defenders and space. We just need to capitalise on that better. That did play a part in the goal giving Husin room to shoot and Cardwell followed up. On the other flank it was great to see Gus back although not so great to see him in the wars. He’s so important to give us balance and his throws are a weapon.

Thought that was real class when their manager or owner along with a couple of the Aldershot players came over to us with maher and the SUFC TEAM and clapped and applauded us at the end of the game.
They came close over to us.

Made me laugh thou when our fan called over an aldershot player to give him a SUFC scarf, and it turned out to be the yellow Ron the Rat scarf.

He was all set to start waving it in the air until he realised what is was, and then very professionally just put it around his neck.

And I think their manager or owner was still there clapping us as we sanging
WE WANT MARTIN OUT etc...

Class.

Been home for an hour and all five in the car scratching our heads to how we havnt won that game. Another dominant display by the boys but maybe some decision making in the final third again cost us. Havnt seen it yet but hearing the handball first half from a Powell shot should have been given and pictures suggest Bridge should have had a goal at the start of second half. but we played some lovely stuff and if we could just be more ruthless in front of goal sooner or later some team will get a spanking. Aldershot offered nothing of note and tried to hit us on the break and of course scored a worldly just before half time against the run of play. Second half we controlled the game and eventually someone (Husin?) took a shot that was fumbled and Cardwell poached the goal. Thereafter we dominated and should have added a second

Husin- mom, thought he was brilliant second half
wood also made a huge difference replacing powell
back five looked more solid again but still miss the pace and aerial ability of Ralph
good to see Miley back in the middle and Coker also played very well
cardwell up top never stopped running and deserved his goal
martin in goal did well but not sure about their goal without seeing it again

apparently Justin was there tonight and must have been impressed with our non stop singing and support. We really are a credit to the club. rumours tonight that the deal is all but done and should be completed by Friday is what was being mentioned tonight. Let’s hope Saturday a at Rochdale will be a party. Anyway another point on the board and after Saturdays flat performance the lads defo returned to some normality tonight. Just need to put the ball in the bloody net more

see you at Rochdale

Thought that was real class when their manager or owner along with a couple of the Aldershot players came over to us with maher and the SUFC TEAM and clapped and applauded us at the end of the game.
They came close over to us.

Made me laugh thou when our fan called over an aldershot player to give him a SUFC scarf, and it turned out to be the yellow Ron the Rat scarf.

He was all set to start waving it in the air until he realised what is was, and then very professionally just put it around his neck.

And I think their manager or owner was still there clapping us as we sanging
WE WANT MARTIN OUT etc...

Class.
Think it was the Aldershot manager Tommy Widdrington, he was for a short while our Assistant Manager a few seasons ago.

Watched the stream, with some very fair commentary from the Aldershot summarisers. They agreed we should have had a penalty for handball in the first half - I don't know how the officials out there missed it?

The one in the 2nd half with Jack Wood? No, not for me, shoulder to shoulder challenge and not a foul. The goal that wasn't? Well, this from one of our photographers would suggest we were hard done by. Can't remember playing so dominantly and coming away with just a point.

1695794209971.png

While the 1st half was even the 2nd was so one sided, our inexplicable inability to finish some excellent crosses from a variety of players was our undoing.

Good to see our midfield back to its dominant best, Husin, Coker and Miley were all excellent, one of Husin's best performances for us. God, we have missed Cav in the middle, he was the conductor for most of what went on. If we can just get him scoring more we will have finally found our Lenny replacement.

As others have said, Demi had a great game, his legs must have been burning at the end of that, in fact, the way so many of them collapsed at the end showed how much that high tempo game took out of them. Taylor looks as if he's been playing centre back all his life, and him and Kensdale look so solid, especially with Gus back.

I'm not sure why Cardwell struggled last night, but little seemed to work for him yet, despite that, he still scored to salvage a point so not going to be too critical. Powell was in the wars from early on so well done to Jack Wood, for coming on and being a nuisance.

Some of our play was absolutely fantastic, so composed, great passing and vision. These boys continue to defy the odds and long may that continue.

Martin - 7, not as good a shot stopper as Collin but his distribution is much better
Gus - 7.5, was in the wars but a welcome returnee
Taylor - 8, another welcome returnee, very good
Kensdale - 8, so solid
Demetriou - 8, keeps rolling back the years, so much energy still
Bridge - 7, thought he was oddly out of position at times
Miley - 8.5, masterclass
Husin - 9, MOTM, unplayable at times, here, there and everywhere.
Coker - 8, maturing nicely
Cardwell - 7, scored but seemed a bit out of sorts
Powell - 6.5, took an early knock and never recovered

Subs:
Wood for Powell - 8, best of the front runners

I thought the officials were pretty good, despite two glaring mistakes already mentioned. The ref seemed generally fair, allowing things to run and using cards pretty sensibly. There was a debate the foul on Wood could have been a red, I think we'd have felt it harsh if it had been one of our players given against.

These guys continue to totally defy the odds stacked against them, absolutely love the lot of them, and the management trio for what they continue to do every single, bloody match!

Last edited:
Back