• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Aldershot Town 1-1 Southend United

The goal was a blessed relief. Great work by Ferguson on the left for the cross and what a tidy header that nestled inside the post from Harry Caldwell. There was a lot of frustration around me at the lack of tempo and the passing across the back and I felt that our lack of penetration would see us leave the former Recreation Ground pointless. Relieved that Kacper's boisterous challenge at the end only received a yellow. :Smile:

Hard to find a forward pass when the opposition have so many men back. I thought everyone had a decent enough game. Lopata is a great player and just MOM. The front two a bit isolated and outnumbered without Dennis. Dalby doesn’t win enough in the air and could be a bit more ‘robust’. Nice touch though. Aldershot and their tactics were just awful. Shame there wasn’t a bit more goalmouth action as two sets of vocal supporters on the same covered terrace could have made for a good atmosphere.

Set alarm - check
Wake up - check
Switch on commentary - check
Fall asleep second half - check
Wake up after FT - check!

Never mind. I’d have been more disappointed to have woken up with a defeat. Good point. Let’s not rush Dennis back. We’ve had enough managers in recent times doing that. We will miss his pace but it’s not as if we don’t have a big squad to choose from

From the Aldershot forum:

"That was poor. We never really tried to win that game at any point and got what we deserved. If you want to draw so much take up art, sport is about trying to win. Southend did look good but we didn't try to put them under any pressure. And if we're doing cartwheels over a draw away at Chesterfield, then we should be trying to beat the teams around us at home.

Only one win in our last seven. I love how Mark originally turned things around, but now we need to change the way we play or we could find ourselves getting close to trouble again.

Great support from Southend and good atmosphere created by both sets of supporters."

So much possession. Aldershot were very defensive, we were hardly troubled all game. Would havd liked to see our wing backs try and take on their opponents more, plus they need to work on their crosses.

Overall tho lovely to see the fight and passion back in the team, and a better performance than v Weymouth where we won.

Shrimper fans were immense tonight.

As for Dorset/Hants traffic control though, ugh. They close the A31 for ten miles and put out no diversion signs, so we had a wacky races trip thro the New Forest.

Utb

Their stand reminded me very much of our North Bank, the noise that terrace generated was phenomenal - surely there has to be a way to get us back in

Just home and although maybe not our most fluid performance a draw was the least we deserved. Aldershot sat deep and tried to hit us on the break. We started brightly but conceded a poor goal defensively. The goal led to Aldershot camping in their own half with little ambition to push forward. We had so much of the ball but created very little with it. We moved the ball around nicely and with confidence but when we then created the space our final ball wasn’t there. When we eventually got it right up pops Harry with a brilliant header. I actually enjoyed watching us with the ball and it shows an increased confidence in the side. Sooner or later we are going to finish teams off in style

positives- 590 travelling shrimpers, brilliant noise and got behind the team, Harry getting his goal, both Davies and Husin look real finds and another game unbeaten. Atmosphere on the old terrace between both sets of fans best I’ve known this season. Old school.

negatives- what a truly awful ground, facilities dreadful and to only have 5 or 6 portaloos and no separation for female/male toilets is poor. Need to work on our crossing for sure. It’s great to have the possession and create space but we must use it better

one last thing, when was the last time we scored an away goal in front of us? All our goals seem to be the opposite end of the pitch!

anyway on to Dover, expect over 1000 to travel for this one, their crowd tonight 486!

I thought Neal was the biggest crab I have seen in a blues shirt since Kev played.
Never once went forward and wouldn’t care if he ever played for us again. Was a magnet for the ball and constantly played it 10 yards sideways and backwards. Brunt made things happen, this bloke is a negative Atkinson type player that massively contributed to a horrible game to watch….send him back and give someone else a go!

Strange, I thought he was extremely negative without even trying to pass the ball forward… lost the ball quite a number of times too. I know he’s a defensive midfielder but he just seemed to take the simple ball backwards every time he received the ball.
How was he off the ball? Just seemed they created very little on the turnover, and that is basically his job.

Of course, players spend an average of 4 minutes on the ball, and 86 minutes off it, so off the ball is perhaps worth considering.

I thought Neal was the biggest crab I have seen in a blues shirt since Kev played.
Never once went forward and wouldn’t care if he ever played for us again. Was a magnet for the ball and constantly played it 10 yards sideways and backwards. Brunt made things happen, this bloke is a negative Atkinson type player that massively contributed to a horrible game to watch….send him back and give someone else a go!
So he kept possession like Maher? While they had little to nothing going forward? Yes please.

Yeah this whole crab thing. I remember it.

Cast your mind back. Was he ever called that when surrounded by forward thinking players and tactics in the tilly years?

Or was it more when our squad was a bit rubbish, he had no outlet and simply didnt want to squander possesion.

Plus its a criricism that conveniently side steps the other parts of kevs game, like tackling and the needle he provided in midfield.

Do you think after all this time we we would have been better without maher?

I know you probably wont change you mind, but think about it.

Not a bad result as away games are always a challenge and Aldershot are not the worst team in the league.
It may be just a statistical anomaly but a 94th minute winner and 87th minute in successive games? It is probably a long time since anything like that happened to us..
I am taking comfort from that!
UTB!

We kept huffing and puffing all game long, eventually equalised with a good goal.

Plus's ;
The team never gave up
Travelling support was constant and noisy :LoyalSupporter::LoyalSupporter::LoyalSupporter:
Credit to the catering van, quick and very efficient service
Lapata stayed on the pitch after his clear out of the Shot player !
Easy run home !

Minus's
Left and right passes waiting for gaps to appear - very frustrating, especially as we were a goal down.
Portaloo's - awful, queues forever
Ref - some odd decisions

Actually 5 league games unbeaten (lost at Notts County before that), but still a terrific run given that they included three very tough looking away games. Let’s just hope that no complacency creeps in on Saturday.

I lost a league game somewhere.

Never mind, I’ll bookmark it ready for use on Saturday evening ?

Back