• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Alex Revell - Give the guy a chance

The Big Shrimp

Zone Photographer
A message to the D!ckheads who were slagging him off last night. F*ck off & support Borient or Wet Spam!

Yes he was poor last night. Yes he was hardly inspiring after signing late last season, but he wasn't fully fit.

Give him a chance, whilst he's wearing a Southend shirt. I personally don't think he's good enough, but whilst he's wearing our shirt, I won't slagging him off during a game. I will wait until I have a pint in my hand & can't be heard by him & several hundred other people!

:soapbox:

Last edited:
Exactly right.

Whilst his out there all we can do as fans to have a positive effect is to get behind him!

If we slag him off, no good comes of it and you look like a moaning little bitch.

I think the big man can play his part, have faith!

When he played for us (Brighton) he would do nothing for ages, then score about 6 goals in 4 games.

Rather he be shoddy now than in the season right?

Barnard will be our out and out goal scorer. Its not the goals that worry me.

All I want to see from Alex is airial presence up front, winning balls and linking up with Barney.

I will give him time.

personally, I dont think he will ever score too many goals, but thats not what he's about. If he can fit in behind the front 2 or on the right , I feel he will set up more goals and make a high contribution. That to me will be more important than scoring goals. leave that to barnard, walker and maybe furlong

I like Revell but he's going to need to start scoring soon. That was Harrold's problem - for all hardwork and good approach-play, if he's not scoring himself then he's going to be under pressure.

The difference between Harrold & Revell from what I've seen is that Revell gets into the goalscoring positions and isn't afraid to have a dig.

I like Revell but he's going to need to start scoring soon. That was Harrold's problem - for all hardwork and good approach-play, if he's not scoring himself then he's going to be under pressure.

The difference between Harrold & Revell from what I've seen is that Revell gets into the goalscoring positions and isn't afraid to have a dig.

Then again he doesn't need to be scoring if he going to be the target man to lay balls off to Barnard, and the other attacking options we have. I see Revell and Harold as the men to hold the ball up, so the rest can get into postions

What is it with some people?? They expect every player that joins to be an instant success. Revell is a good player and will come good he has just not had the time to settle down and prove himself. He goes on rampages of scoring goals as he did for Brighton. He has played a hatful for us, give the poor fella a chance. He gives 110% every game, don't get on his back and do exactly what you did to Billy Paynter.

I am not expecting goals from Revell, because lets face it, its not going to happen. However, I would like to see some effort from him, some movement, maybe even win a header or two. In two friendlies he is made 2 successful forward passes.

I am all for giving players time, but it of my opinion that he could turn out to be Tilly's worst ever signing.

I emphasise that its just my opinion that he COULD, not is yet, he has not had a chance yet, but performances like that in the league are just not good enough

Whilst he is a Blues player he gets my support. It seems indemic, if we get rid of him the same "expert fans" will find some other player to slag off.

Hardly a ringing endorsment to players who are thinking of joining the club.

I think a lot of fans have developed unrealistic expectations of new strikers since Freddy Eastwood's debut. Unless new forwards score goals straight away [hard work and assists dont seem to be good enough] it seems a significant minority of our 'fans' will get on their backs without a second thought.

It will always make me wonder how the likes of Harrold, Paynter and Hooper [especially] would have developed at Southend had they been given a bit more patience.

Then again he doesn't need to be scoring if he going to be the target man to lay balls off to Barnard, and the other attacking options we have. I see Revell and Harold as the men to hold the ball up, so the rest can get into postions

That's enough for me and it's enough for you, but Harrold was destroyed by our fans so it's obviously not enough for a lot of people. Unless Revell is a far stronger person than Harrold is then he's going to need to chip in with goals too.

I'm all for giving players time, but let's face it a striker needs to score 10-12 goals a season to be worth his place in the team no matter how hard they work for the side.

Remember the triumberant of Eastwood/Goater/Gray managed almost 50 goals between them in our championship winning season.

We need strikers who can do the business in front of goal or we might as well re-sign Goal Droughton.

I can see why people want to get on the lads back he seems like another harrold to me (i liked him, an was patient with him) but hasn't done anything i like so far he is a big lad and needs to throw himself about more. Come on the Revell prove us all wrong

I'm another that will give him time and that would never slag him off whilst watching him play in a Southend shirt, but he is just one of those players that is going to frustrate it seems. For such a tall player, he just doesn't seem to win enough in the air, ala Harrold. I don't expect him to hit 15 goals a season, but what I do expect of him is that he holds the ball up, wins headers and generally brings others into play as we haven't had anyone who could do that for a while. Unfortunately he seems to struggle with these aspects more often than not as his touch lets him down time and time again. It is just slightly worrying that last night a striker, in 90 mins against a Ryman League team, didn't actually have an attempt on goal.

The most frustrating aspect for me is that we've replaced someone who wasn't a success, Matt Harrold, with someone who doesn't appear to be any better. Why bomb out Harrold then?

Haven't seen enough of Revell to comment about last night , but IMO surely when you first sign for a club the one thing you want to do is impress, it's natural in any job, for instance in my new job i started of by putting in 150% and working through my lunch and also staying to make sure i was one of the last to leave the office.

Now what this means in terms of Revell is that if what i'm reading is correct and he's not putting the effort in then thats unexectable , i can over look for a short period the lack of skill and fernesse of a player as its down to nerves , but surely nerves don't mean that you can't get round the pitch and work your nuts off.

Take Barnard for instance , i can guarentee that when the lad is going through a rough patch like all strikers do , the one thing he will always do , is give it his all and put himself about and do his bit for the team . And that is why the crowd will rarely get on his back.

No i don't agree with the slagging off from the sidelines , but some of the footballers i've witnessed at the Hall really don't make life easy for themselves.

I'm a 100% behind Alex Revell, but he needs to up his game , as tilly is a fairly patient Manager , but ultimatly he will weild the axe if he believes that a player is not performing for him.

Back