• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

American English or English English

Oy America! Speak proper like what I do....

• Total voters
That's obviously what Firestorm was referring to earlier and I didn't dare ask!!!

The American refer to the Bum as the Fanny
and a Tramp is a bum.

To DTS's threads would involve S**ging a Tramp....

The other one I really dislike which an awful lot of people over here are now saying , is "can I get" when ordering food .
I am waiting for some smart Ar5e waiter to say, "no its alright, thats what I am paid for, now what would you like ?"

The other one I really dislike which an awful lot of people over here are now saying , is "can I get" when ordering food .
I am waiting for some smart Ar5e waiter to say, "no its alright, thats what I am paid for, now what would you like ?"

My husband does that "can I get a coffee?" thing and it drives me mad! I think it's because he works with a lot of Americans.

Care to explain yourself young'un? Is it the fries and cola thing? I would have still expected the young people to go for English English even with a nod towards the Estuary version.

I would rather have a Hamburger than crumpets

I had to vote for American because I find myself using it all the time, much to my own disgust. I have lived in England for 29 years - US/Canada 7 years, and yet I seem to have this mid-atlantic drawl at times which makes me sound like Tommy Vance.

I once read that the Americanisms of the English language stemmed from the American War of Independence. It was to give the new America it's own definition of language but mostly it gave good King George the raving hump, which was the general idea.

I once read that the Americanisms of the English language stemmed from the American War of Independence. It was to give the new America it's own definition of language but mostly it gave good King George the raving hump, which was the general idea.

As he was a German it probably didn't make a blind bit of notice.

I suppose that it isn't surprising that this poll is a bit of a landslide.

However, maybe we should revisit this in the fall when the color of the leaves are changing, when I have a beer next to me in an aluminum can. Maybe I'll also be snacking on a bag of chips which I'll buy because of an advertisement* I saw. Then, perhaps, a good looking woman will walk by on the sidewalk and I'll find myself staring at the backside of her pants at her fanny. I quickly catch myself and look away, it's not polite to stare, or at least that is what my mom used to say. So I'll walk into a nearby building, but I won't need to take the stairs or elevator because my destination is on the first floor. But I suppose I'll stop there, I don't want to create any controversy*. Anyways I should probably balance my check book, it should be easy but I was never any good at math.

*I suppose these only work if the word is spoken, but you get the idea.

I suppose that it isn't surprising that this poll is a bit of a landslide.

However, maybe we should revisit this in the fall when the color of the leaves are changing, when I have a beer next to me in an aluminum can. Maybe I'll also be snacking on a bag of chips which I'll buy because of an advertisement* I saw. Then, perhaps, a good looking woman will walk by on the sidewalk and I'll find myself staring at the backside of her pants at her fanny. I quickly catch myself and look away, it's not polite to stare, or at least that is what my mom used to say. So I'll walk into a nearby building, but I won't need to take the stairs or elevator because my destination is on the first floor. But I suppose I'll stop there, I don't want to create any controversy*. Anyways I should probably balance my check book, it should be easy but I was never any good at math.

*I suppose these only work if the word is spoken, but you get the idea.

I say old fruit!

Back