• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy Murray

No, I stand by that. Most sportsmen & women are dreadfully boring, at least until they retire. Footballers especially.

You know there are more sports than football and Tennis.

Guy Martin, look at the personality he has. A truck mechanic by day and just for a bit of fun he rides at speeds up upto 200mph round road circuits like the Isle of Man. His personality captured the world and has had a number of TV shows off the back of it.

Plenty of good sports personalities out there! Loads in boxing and motorsports. But if you don’t watch those sports then you won’t see it. Just like I don’t watch Rugby or NFL I’m sure there are personalities in that but I wouldn’t know them because I don’t watch the sport.

To say he has more personality than 99.9% of them is unreal. I’d like to see evidence of these ‘experts’ and other people in the business stating this. If you link anything to Piers Morgan then your argument instantly becomes invalid.

Guy Martin, look at the personality he has. A truck mechanic by day and just for a bit of fun he rides at speeds up upto 200mph round road circuits like the Isle of Man. His personality captured the world and has had a number of TV shows off the back of it.

Plenty of good sports personalities out there! Loads in boxing and motorsports. But if you don’t watch those sports then you won’t see it. Just like I don’t watch Rugby or NFL I’m sure there are personalities in that but I wouldn’t know them because I don’t watch the sport.

To say he has more personality than 99.9% of them is unreal. I’d like to see evidence of these ‘experts’ and other people in the business stating this. If you link anything to Piers Morgan then your argument instantly becomes invalid.

I agree with you , except for using someone who is currently facing a Crown Court trial for possessing a document with intent to deceive and making a false statement.

I agree with you , except for using someone who is currently facing a Crown Court trial for possessing a document with intent to deceive and making a false statement.

First person that came to my head, wasn’t aware of that.

No, I stand by that. Most sportsmen & women are dreadfully boring, at least until they retire. Footballers especially.

Substitute the word focused for boring and that is exactly what everyone wants from their sportsperson

That said , you can find exceptions in every sport, in cycling , for ever Froome there is a Thomas or a Sagan and generally they tend to spend more time doing their sport than anyone ( maybe not round the world yachtsman )

And Katie Archibald is as mad as a box of frogs !!

Yeah, something about claiming to have an Irish driving licence when he didn't have , well not a non forged one...

Ah, now you mention it I remember a podcast I listen to was talking about it. Didn’t really take too much notice of it.

You should read Guy Martins auto biography
Christ it is so boring to read ,was so disappointed ,unless you like knowing about spanner’s!!

You should read Guy Martins auto biography
Christ it is so boring to read ,was so disappointed ,unless you like knowing about spanner’s!!

Which one? I’ve read two of his three and I found them very enjoyable reads.

Is Guy Martin a pro sportsman? I thought he presented TV programmes. Did he win any Olympic gold medals for his country.......:Fishing::Whistling:

Is Guy Martin a pro sportsman? I thought he presented TV programmes. Did he win any Olympic gold medals for his country.......:Fishing::Whistling:
riding a motobike isn't a sport. it's a hobby for people with small willies

riding a motobike isn't a sport. it's a hobby for people with small willies

You like Formula One which is essentially the same as motorcycle racing don’t think that is a sport either?

@Firestorm we must have small willies!

You like Formula One which is essentially the same as motorcycle racing don’t think that is a sport either?

@Firestorm we must have small willies!
I like Formula One and the drivers are extremely talented. However I don't really view it as a sport. The rules and regs are too fluid and the drivers come from a position of ridiculous privilege, even if they do work their way up. They more come under the 10,000 hours theory given they had the opportunity to drive karts/cars as a youngster, rather than being a natural athlete or sportsperson. Easy to be a top superbike rider given the pool you're coming from, rather than tennis or football or athletics.

I like Formula One and the drivers are extremely talented. However I don't really view it as a sport. The rules and regs are too fluid and the drivers come from a position of ridiculous privilege, even if they do work their way up. They more come under the 10,000 hours theory given they had the opportunity to drive karts/cars as a youngster, rather than being a natural athlete or sportsperson. Easy to be a top superbike rider given the pool you're coming from, rather than tennis or football or athletics.

Well I class it as a sport, these guys don’t just put their bodies on the lines but their lives too and they deserve the respect for that. I urge you to watch a lap by anyone around the Isle of Man TT, the Stones those guys have is insane to go round a street circuit at those speeds. You might not think these are sports but they’re shown on sports channels and news and results are shown in sport pages.

Moving away from Guy Martin there are other sports men and women who I could’ve mentioned like Mo Farah or Bradley Wiggins! They’ve won gold medals @MK Shrimper seeing as in your view that’s what you need to be consider a worth sports person.

Well I class it as a sport, these guys don’t just put their bodies on the lines but their lives too and they deserve the respect for that. I urge you to watch a lap by anyone around the Isle of Man TT, the Stones those guys have is insane to go round a street circuit at those speeds. You might not think these are sports but they’re shown on sports channels and news and results are shown in sport pages.

Moving away from Guy Martin there are other sports men and women who I could’ve mentioned like Mo Farah or Bradley Wiggins! They’ve won gold medals @MK Shrimper seeing as in your view that’s what you need to be consider a worth sports person.
Bravery doesn't really have anything to do with sports. Firefighters and armed forces personnel are brave.

Mo Farah is one of Britain's best and most successful sportspeople but the competition in his event was relatively weak at the time. He doesn't hold a single olympic or outdoor world record (not necessarily a fair criticism given historic doping and the fact distance races are tactical, but still surprising). In his three best events (1500m, 5000m and 10000m) he doesn't break the top 10 all time quickest for any.

Bradley Wiggins is a great olympian but has a massive cloud over his achievements. He benefitted from massive pump-priming in his sport by both UK Sport and Team Sky.

Andy Murray's achievements are 3 Grand Slams in undoubtedly the toughest era for men's tennis. He also legitimately achieved world number one ranking. I feel sad for people who can't recognise this achievement.

Bravery doesn't really have anything to do with sports. Firefighters and armed forces personnel are brave.

Mo Farah is one of Britain's best and most successful sportspeople but the competition in his event was relatively weak at the time. He doesn't hold a single olympic or outdoor world record (not necessarily a fair criticism given historic doping and the fact distance races are tactical, but still surprising). In his three best events (1500m, 5000m and 10000m) he doesn't break the top 10 all time quickest for any.

Bradley Wiggins is a great olympian but has a massive cloud over his achievements. He benefitted from massive pump-priming in his sport by both UK Sport and Team Sky.

Andy Murray's achievements are 3 Grand Slams in undoubtedly the toughest era for men's tennis. He also legitimately achieved world number one ranking. I feel sad for people who can't recognise this achievement.

But in fire fighting and the armed forces you’re not competing in a competition to win, money and trophies.

We’ve now turned this discussion into a BBC Sports Personality of the Year type discussion. It’s not about achievements in sport it’s about personality and MK’s ridiculous statement!

Back