• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another question

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
Should we go into admin, then (I assume) players will be sold to reduce costs and bring some revenue in. But we don't have a plethora of registered players, do we? So let's say 6 players go - we won't have a team at all. We can't sign anyone while the embargo is in place. Or am I missing something?

Should we go into admin, then (I assume) players will be sold to reduce costs and bring some revenue in. But we don't have a plethora of registered players, do we? So let's say 6 players go - we won't have a team at all. We can't sign anyone while the embargo is in place. Or am I missing something?

We can't sell anyone to january anyway hopefully the bill will be paid before then, otherwise we would be in big trouble. Youth players will have to step up I guess.

Some of the yoofies would have to come in, Bournemouth are having to play a kid still at school.

If we go into administration it won't matter whether we pay the bill or not. All debts become payable and the administrators have to keep the business running so as to maximise the return. Therefore, they will have to take a view on what players will be worth most rather than just have a firesale - don't forget the club will be worth more in L1 than in L2 as well.

So, players whose contracts are up at the end of season and who could walk for nothing (i.e. Barnard) will be sold in January, just to get something in. Players on longer term contracts will probably then be sold (it strikes me that this was the reason behind the Grant contract extension) but we still nedd to have a squad to play.

Come in Craig Calver, Justin Hazell, Duran Reynolds...

In a word, we will be in big trouble. The youth team will be called upon to do a job in League One, until the embargo is lifted. Which probably won't be until the end of the season. If the kids can stave off relegation, it would be the biggest miracle of all time.

If Ron cannot find the money, then the best route would be Voluntary Administration surely? At least we can all but wipe out the debt that way?...

Having watched a lot of our youth team play at Bowers and Pitsea the other evening I hope we don't sell any of our current first team squad.

Having watched a lot of our youth team play at Bowers and Pitsea the other evening I hope we don't sell any of our current first team squad.

Unfortunately Ken, they will be sold. That is a given.

It wouldn't be so bad if we had a normal squad of 22 players. The better one's would be sold, but at least we would have players with league experience to step in.

Last edited:
would like to see calver get on the bench, he looks pretty good and scored a few in pre-season. don't why not have him on the bench.

Unfortunately Ken, they will be sold. That is a given.

I think it's far from a given, Smiffy. We have very few players in the squad as it is and fewer still who would attract the sort of bids which would likely interest the Administrator. If the Administrators come in then with us being down to the bare bones anyway the prudent action would be to trim the wage bill away from the first team and keep the Club ticking over as a going concern whilst it seeks to get itself out of the trouble that it is. If a decent offer comes in for Lee Barnard, who is one of very few players who might attract a decent fee and who is out of contract in the summer then there'd be an arguement for selling. Beyond that though I wouldn't expect an impact at first team level.

I think it's far from a given, Smiffy. We have very few players in the squad as it is and fewer still who would attract the sort of bids which would likely interest the Administrator. If the Administrators come in then with us being down to the bare bones anyway the prudent action would be to trim the wage bill away from the first team and keep the Club ticking over as a going concern whilst it seeks to get itself out of the trouble that it is. If a decent offer comes in for Lee Barnard, who is one of very few players who might attract a decent fee and who is out of contract in the summer then there'd be an arguement for selling. Beyond that though I wouldn't expect an impact at first team level.

So are you saying Tilly and all club employees are at greater risk of being given the boot?

So are you saying Tilly and all club employees are at greater risk of being given the boot?

Initially that will have to be the case as players cannot be sold outside the transfer window. I guess they can be loaned with a "view" to a permanent move. That may get them of the payroll if the purchasing club takes up the slack for their wages.

I'd imagine that Tilly's contract would need paying up. Brush too. That should mean that they are ok. As Kay said in the other thread, it'll be backroom and administrative jobs that will be at threat. Then probably the youth team.

Back