• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sorry Yorkishire, but you've suggested it and suggested it before as well. If you don't know it for fact then it is unfair on the player to make such suggestions.

Ripping our players seems to be a favourite past time of many posters on here - something in my opinion that is both uncalled for and unwanted. We can all 'mark' the players for their performances etc, what we cannot do is 'mark' the players because of things that we think may or may not be a possibility.

You have marked Anthony Grant as an unpopular squad member - uncalled for and unwanted - unless you wish to enlighten us more?

If it's his opinion it's unfair to lambust him for sharing it on a forum. However, I am as interested as you are to know why YB amongst others feel he is not very popular in the changing room.

For what it's worth, I think Granty has been very much off the boil in the last few weeks, and his form has warranted him being dropped (despite his early season heroics). I actually felt Granty's reaction from the bench was one of Saturday's few positives, and was probably the response PS desired, as he looked a much hungrier improved player than of late. Providing of course it was being dropped and not the occasion of facing Tilson & Spencer that inspired this uplift.

If it's his opinion it's unfair to lambust him for sharing it on a forum. However, I am as interested as you are to know why YB amongst others feel he is not very popular in the changing room.

For what it's worth, I think Granty has been very much off the boil in the last few weeks, and his form has warranted him being dropped (despite his early season heroics). I actually felt Granty's reaction from the bench was one of Saturday's few positives, and was probably the response PS desired, as he looked a much hungrier improved player than of late. Providing of course it was being dropped and not the occasion of facing Tilson & Spencer that inspired this uplift.

I will never lambast for a genuine opinion, however, I will question comments that are completely unfounded - and try for whatever reason to smeer a player - that's not what we're on this board for.

I agree entirely with you that Granty has not been at his best in some recent games - I do not agree that he should have been dropped as even when not playing up to his high standards he is still influential and still provides more than his contemporaries. By dropping him and playing two youngsters in Ferdinand and Sawyer in front of him will definitely ensure that he is not a Southend player next season - which imo will be our loss.

It's the impression I get from the way team-mates react to him. When he scores he certainly doesn't get mobbed in the way Mohsni at the other end of the spectrum does and team-mates seem to get more exasperated with him than they maybe do with other players when they get things wrong. It's just my opinion. I don't think it's a particularly big deal if he doesn't especially get on with his team-mates as it's like any other workplace where not everyone is bestest buddies and you may tolerate rather than like some colleagues.

I will never lambast for a genuine opinion, however, I will question comments that are completely unfounded - and try for whatever reason to smeer a player - that's not what we're on this board for.

I agree entirely with you that Granty has not been at his best in some recent games - I do not agree that he should have been dropped as even when not playing up to his high standards he is still influential and still provides more than his contemporaries. By dropping him and playing two youngsters in Ferdinand and Sawyer in front of him will definitely ensure that he is not a Southend player next season - which imo will be our loss.

I think the loss of Pato & Screech is what will ultimately see him go come the end of the season to be honest.

I can't agree with not dropping him when out of form though. Especially when I have continually argued against Sturrock Jnr's inclusion when's he played badly. No player should be undroppable, and no player should have the power as you allude to above, to use the 'drop me and I'll walk' line. If a player is not performing, then they don't deserve to play. I'm a big fan of Grant and would much rather see him in the team than out, but only if he's in there on merit. I think it worked Saturday, as he came on and looked a different animal to recent weeks.

Even the great Eastwood flourished under this tactic. Tilly bravely leaving him on the bench after suspension when many called for his immediate inclusion. Freddy's response to a spell on the sidelines after some less than convincing performances? A matchwinning sub at Blackpool, and some inspired perfromances there after. It's a kick up the backside players need to avoid complacency. I fully expect to see Grant back in the team tomorrow, and a more focussed player as a result.

Yorkshire Blue: It's the impression I get from the way team-mates react to him. When he scores he certainly doesn't get mobbed in the way Mohsni at the other end of the spectrum does and team-mates seem to get more exasperated with him than they maybe do with other players when they get things wrong. It's just my opinion. I don't think it's a particularly big deal if he doesn't especially get on with his team-mates as it's like any other workplace where not everyone is bestest buddies and you may tolerate rather than like some colleagues.
It's probably not too big a deal if there are still some players at the club you can relate too, or get on with. The problem is for Grant, that those players have largely been removed this season. Personally I don't think it's any coincidence that his downturn in form has coincided with the loss of his closest compatriots.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]It's probably not too big a deal if there are still some players at the club you can relate too, or get on with. The problem is for Grant, that those players have largely been removed this season. Personally I don't think it's any coincidence that his downturn in form has coincided with the loss of his closest compatriots.[/QUOTE]

Players come and go at clubs, i would be very surprised if Granty's downturn in form was due to Screech leaving and Pato being shoved out, but you never know. I would consider that being an ever present in a long hard season and having different supporting players around you week in week out may have taken its toll. Maybe just tired and needed a break?

Players come and go at clubs, i would be very surprised if Granty's downturn in form was due to Screech leaving and Pato being shoved out, but you never know. I would consider that being an ever present in a long hard season and having different supporting players around you week in week out may have taken its toll. Maybe just tired and needed a break?

I'm not entirely sure... I've noticed a marked difference in his attitude since Christmas and the number of times you can catch him having a whinge in a game has definitely increased. Whether that's just Granty's quest for perfection or if he really has got the arseache, I couldn't say.

I'm not entirely sure... I've noticed a marked difference in his attitude since Christmas and the number of times you can catch him having a whinge in a game has definitely increased. Whether that's just Granty's quest for perfection or if he really has got the arseache, I couldn't say.

Wow, my ex-wife must of been the ultimate perfectionist!!! :hilarious:

Perfection being that they give Granty the ball, no matter how many markers he has or what kind of position he's in ahead of Hall.

I appreciated your point, I was just trying to inject some humour into what has been a very serious message board lately.

My points earlier on, state pretty much what you've said, and agree with your view on Grant's recent mentality.

Surely the fact Grant has been deployed on the left recently has contributed to a dip in form. He doesn't look comfortable there at all.

Good point, he may well have been rested rather than dropped.

Surely the fact Grant has been deployed on the left recently has contributed to a dip in form. He doesn't look comfortable there at all.

Whilst different systems I thought he looked comfortable enough playing outwide under Tilly, although more effective in the middle.

I thought Granty was useless against the Gills and we needed more from him. I dont think being dropped for a week or so will hurt him.

Whilst different systems I thought he looked comfortable enough playing outwide under Tilly, although more effective in the middle.
Tilly played him on the right, rather than on the left, though. He looks lost on the left, IMO.

Could it have quite simply been a failed message to Tilly that we could beat you without any of your players in our starting line up. Was Herd omitted altogether as he was busy signing loan docs for Lincoln ?

These and other unfounded statements are available now at the YB school of cut, paste and quote to prove I'm a better poster than you.

Leave YB alone, I started this ...

"Some of the other players disagree with you. As I have mentioned on here before Grant is not as popular in the dressing room as he is with the fans"

That is based on facts which are opinions from some players

Leave YB alone, I started this ...

"Some of the other players disagree with you. As I have mentioned on here before Grant is not as popular in the dressing room as he is with the fans"

That is based on facts which are opinions from some players

What facts and what players? You have quoted it, so lets hear it?

If you have an opinion of Granty that's fine - but unless you can back up what is written then all you are doing is rubbishing a player. So what are the facts and what players have said it?

By dropping him and playing two youngsters in Ferdinand and Sawyer in front of him will definitely ensure that he is not a Southend player next season - which imo will be our loss.

I don't actually give a monkeys, but what do you base this on? Or are you doing exactly the same as what you have blasted another poster for doing?

I don't actually give a monkeys, but what do you base this on? Or are you doing exactly the same as what you have blasted another poster for doing?

So lets just think about it. You're dropped and I'm playing youngsters instead of you. But hey we want you to stay, you are our best player? It's not rocket science.

I am hoping that maybe he was just tired having been the catalyst and the best player in our midfield all season - and maybe just had a game off - if he was dropped, and this becomes a regular occurence, then it is my opinion that he will seek his future employment elsewhere - please explain your problem with this?

So lets just think about it. You're dropped and I'm playing youngsters instead of you. But hey we want you to stay, you are our best player? It's not rocket science.

Maybe, just maybe. Players have to earn their place in the starting line up.

Back